Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Linux setup issue with Sagem wireless

This is a discussion on Linux setup issue with Sagem wireless within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, this is probably a simple newbie issue but i'm not sure how to get round it. I am setting ...

kenny99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Linux setup issue with Sagem wireless

Hi, this is probably a simple newbie issue but i'm not sure how to get round it. I am setting up my broadband connection on Linux Ubuntu. I have a Sagem router and although my wired connection is fine, it looks like my wireless connection and router isn't detected. I say this because if i right click on Network Manager and go to Edit Wireless Networks, there is nothing there at all. I tried installing the Sagem drivers for Linux but this hasn't solved the issue. Grateful for any help!

2. Advertisement
      dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: Linux setup issue with Sagem wireless

It sounds as if you haven't installed the correct Linux driver for your WiFi adaptor (you don't need the Sagem Router software at all). Depending upon your WiFi adaptor you may find you have to use a 'wrapper' and the Windows driver. I'm not familiar with Ubuntu but I have enabled WiFi on a few laptops running Mandriva and PCLinux2007.

Try going to the Ubuntu set up Manager and installing a WiFi network. If Ubuntu found and installed your LAN network it does indicate your WiFi may not be directly support and needs a 'wrapper'. Broadcom are specifically difficult as they don't publish details of their drivers and so they can't be included in the software provided with Linux - so you have to source the Windows driver for the adaptor and use that when it's asked for during the WiFi network set up.

naza911 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stechford
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Thanks

What Wireless Network card are you using? A simple Google for the name of your wireless card followed by 'chipset' should get you off in the right direction. Ubuntu forums may also be a better place for this sort of problem.
      It does not sounds like a Sky Router problem but more Linux and the drivers.

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Yup I took the plunge this year with Ubunutu and although it is very good you do need to have a hunt around for drivers for printers etc.

again a google of Ubunuta and the name of your wireless adaptor may provide results and as said above the ubunutu support forums are very good, there may already be an answer in there.

Sorry I can't help anymore as all my wireless devices are still on Windows.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

pju123 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kenny99 View Post
      Hi, this is probably a simple newbie issue but i'm not sure how to get round it. I am setting up my broadband connection on Linux Ubuntu. I have a Sagem router and although my wired connection is fine, it looks like my wireless connection and router isn't detected. I say this because if i right click on Network Manager and go to Edit Wireless Networks, there is nothing there at all. I tried installing the Sagem drivers for Linux but this hasn't solved the issue. Grateful for any help!
      I'm afraid to say the router is a shocking piece of rubbish. (I've been on sky for just 2 days and wasted a couple of hours on it) I can see mine from time to time and it connects about 1 time in 20. Its the same with my eeepc which runs xandros linux. (seems to work in windows which is odd) I've resorted to using my old router as an access point as sky seem to have some ridiculous ideas about what you can use on their network. Still, their network I suppose, shame the forgot about me the customer! </RANT>

The way to use your old router (if you have an old wifi router) is first of all turn on your old router and log in via a cable. (I have a netgear which works perfectly - I used to use demon). Now change the IP address of the OLD router to something in the 192.168.0.xxx range (I've used 11). Also turn *OFF* the dhcp option in the OLD router. (This is essential!). Now connect the router via a cable to the Sagem router (a normal RJ45 cable will do, there is no need for a crossover or anything).

You should now be able to connect to the internet on the old wifi point. Now, for points for style, log into the sagem http://192.168.0.1 and turn off the wifi on the sagem router to cut the wifi interference between routers. (SETUP->WIFI SETTINGS -> untick the ENABLE WIRELESS ACCESS POINT then click apply)

Sky arn't the only ones to be shipping what I consider rubbish routers, I ended up doing the same on my mother-in-laws nasty siemens thing on Tiscali. And her windows PC kept dropping the connection and my linux pc wasn't much better, the old netgear sorted it no problems.

BTW, ubuntu rocks. You'll have a much better time on it. 8.10 is the bizzo.

HTH

Phil.