Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

attaching devices

This is a discussion on attaching devices within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi Guys Please can help me from going insane ! I have the latest Sky netgear router (model 934 I ...

stevej58 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01282
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

attaching devices

Hi Guys

Please can help me from going insane !

I have the latest Sky netgear router (model 934 I think) with the Sky branded software. I have my desktop plugged it via ethernet cable, and my wifi mobile attached in the attached devices list and access control switched on, so only the mobile can and needs to connect via wireless.

Yesterday, I bought a wireless laptop and of course wish to add that to the wireless attached devices. I seem to be able to attach it ok, and it works fine with access control off, but if I switch access control on it cuts off one of the attached devices either the mobile or the lappy. I got frustrated with if before concluding all tests, but it seems to have a black radio button to the left of the device name and mac address, which you would assume is used to delete a device if necessary, but as it will only allow one radio button on one device at once, the one which dosn't have the radio button seems to suffer. Surely the router will allow two wireless devices.

Cheers!
      Steve

2. Advertisement
      FelixTCat is online now Sky User Member
      Exchange: Tilehurst
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: attaching devices

Hi Steve,

The router will allow a large number of wireless devices. There are, however, 2 possible restrictions on your system that you can overcome:

1 the DHCP server may be restricting the total number of devices that can connect (go to Advanced - LAN IP Setup in the router and make sure that the difference between the starting and ending IP addresses is big enough)

2 in Setup - Wireless Settings - Setup Access List, you can either turn off the access control, attach all the wireless devices, mark them as trusted in the Available list and then turn Access Control back on or add the new device manually by giving it a name and then adding its MAC address.

Hope this helps,

Felix

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi Felix

Thanks for your post, I hadn't thought of the IP range. As this is new to me what range would you suggest.

Also, the lappy has DHCP switched off I notice, will that matter ?

Cheers
      Steve

FelixTCat is online now Sky User Member
      Exchange: Tilehurst
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Hi Steve,

First, I would suggest that you make sure the DHCP server in the router is on. This means that the router will assign an IP address to any devices which try to connect to it. The default address for the router is 192.168.0.1, so I would suggest that you set the start and end addresses to suit the number of devices you expect to attach (it's easy to change if you want to add more later). Since you have a laptop and a wi-fi mobile, plus your wired PC (which also needs an IP address from the DHCP server) I would suggest that you set the range from 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.4

Secondly, any other potential DHCP server in your network should be switched off - you can only have one server issuing addresses on any net.

Finally, try to connect all your devices. If they don't work, turn off wireless security and try again. Once they are working, re-enable security.

If you want to see each PC etc from the others, you must enable file sharing and then share at least one directory on each machine.

Regards,

Felix

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi Felix

OK, got it sorted, many thanks

Steve