Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Router Firmware Updated.

This is a discussion on Router Firmware Updated. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I think you have hit the nail on the head NR. I think this router issue is down to red ...

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Router Firmware Updated.

I think you have hit the nail on the head NR. I think this router issue is down to red tape as much as anything else.
      From Skys point of view, it makes support much easier if only on type of router has to be supported (BT operate a similar idea, but you can use your own router, they just won't help untill their router is on line) I don't think it ever occured to Sky that customers would want to use their own kit, they offer a very good product at a rock bottom price (Max) and throw in a router as well, so the inclusion of the "you must use our kit" in the T&C's would not bother anyone.

In the real world, Sky Broadband has attracted users who want, and have the resources, to use their own kit. They are unlikely to need much support, and can always bang on the sky router if they do, and after all if Sky cared that much they could have prevented other routers from working.

2. Advertisement
      AlexS is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Draytek Vigor 130 + Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Good points raised NewsreadeR :

1) Can a Sky BB customer use his or hers own router, without fear of being kicked off, and in the event of needing support, that they use their Sky BB router plugged in whilst speaking to Support.
      I bet most users would be happy with the Sky supplied routers if they received the necessary firmware updates to fix major issues more promptly.( Yes I'm on about the DG934 AR7 stability issue again...) The latest Netgear firmware DSL patch for the DG834Gv3 was released back in March.
      2) Can SkyUser host the new FW for the V2 Netgear.
      This would be very useful as DG934's that suffer from low NM at night could lose connection during the firmware auto update and brick the router. Having a "local" copy of the firmware might allow users to restart the process manually and recover their own hardware.

Re: "DLM for all" My concern is that the nighttime stability issue for some DG934 users would result in DLM capping their connections to ridiculously low levels in order to raise the noise margin enough to prevent re-sync's. Items 1. & 2. may prevent this from occuring.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Thanks for the positive replies. We work very hard behind the scenes to liaise with Sky and let them know the feedback etc that we as a website see.

We have a long way to go, I guess to gain trust and so on, but I would say now, we have a great relationship. To the degree, that I would class our contact at Sky as a friend. Sky as any other company have their procedures, or quality control, and I am pretty positive, have amended, or listened to as a result of the feedback on here.

As a company Sky have their image and brand to protect, which is 100% acceptable by us, but we aim (or we want to) to be able to bridge the gap between Sky and their customers. And get the useful information out to everyone.

In the last 12 months, this has become more apparent for us as a website, and is exactly what we had hoped to achieve when we kicked this site off. We are not run by Sky, we still say what we want, but to the advantage of our members and Sky as a company.

We don't wish to be seen as an official Sky supported website, but one, that could be used by our members and Sky to interact and work between ourselves, to make the end experience more pleasurable. Rest assured, we are getting there in my eyes, and the more constructive criticism / feedback that we gain, the more it will help Sky evolve.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AlexS View Post
      I believe the Be Box is based on the new Thomson (Speedtouch) range of Broadcomm wireless routers but with custom firmware
      The current Be Box (and "O2 wireless box") is a Thompson SpeedTouch 585V7 (utilising a Broadcom 6338 chipset) with the same sort of customisation to the firmware that Sky has used i.e. normal functionality but reduced access to it through the GUI. There is a "secret" superuser admin log-in which makes available most if not all the generic firmware's functionality. Be and O2 have their own versions of the software with the O2 version being somewhat more restricted.

The DMT tool won't work with either custom firmware but using the superuser log-in, it is possible to flash it to generic firmware should you so wish. Whether this is against their T&Cs I've no idea. One other point: O2 loan the box to the customer, unlike Sky, so it does have to be returned at the end of the contract. Not sure about the ownership of the Be box.
      Last edited by Saturday; 26-10-08 at 02:39 PM.

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Removed 4 posts from this thread as a result of being reported.

Please lets not get personal or drag the thread to the point of being locked.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Not sure about the ownership of the Be box.
      This has to be returned to Be. Just like the o2 one.

AlexS is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Draytek Vigor 130 + Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      This has to be returned to Be. Just like the o2 one.
      I was going to ask if it's possible to use your own router with Be or o2 rather than the locked down unit supplied, but I believe I'd be getting ahead of myself, my current Sky situation ( 4 months left on contract ) and guilty of sending this thread way off topic.
      So I won't...
      I'll await developments at Sky Re: DG934 firmware roll-out, their response to the points you raised NewsreadeR and take it from there. ( or not as case may be )
      Regards all.

AlexS

Thanks
      Blog Entries

I am fairly certain that you can use your own router on Be and o2. Although on my Be connection at work, I use the router that they issued to myself.

Ned Ludd is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Haxby
      Broadband ISP: PlusNet
      Router: TP-Link WR2543ND
      Sky TV: FreeSat
      Thanks

A friend of mine has recently signed up with O2. Yes, you can use your own router with them. Like others though, they will NOT support anything other than their supplied kit!
      Last edited by Ned Ludd; 26-10-08 at 04:55 PM.
      Geoff, York.
      Can't call me a Luddite now!

reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Ludd View Post
      , they will support anything other than their supplied kit!
      really?!?!? they must have fun on their support line

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast