Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Router Firmware Updated.

This is a discussion on Router Firmware Updated. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by AlexS That's the official line. using your own router is against Sky's T&C. There are methods to ...

blade is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Router Firmware Updated.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexS View Post
      That's the official line. using your own router is against Sky's T&C.
      There are methods to "extract" your details from the Sky router and use your own. Some people may have done this and sold their Sky routers on Ebay ! I personally wouldn't recommend that as Sky may lock down the routers they allow to connect to Sky BB at any time it suits them. Leaving those Sky BB users up a certain creek ! In "theory" I could have done this procedure for a few days for testing purposes, but I will continue to use Sky's router wherever possible...

Interesting i got to say whens there new firmware due i want faster lol

due to the firmware my speeds are not well so i am told i may have to wait till another update gets done as my connection is not good at min on 16.6 meg keeps ping out and loosening connection at min has had to be dropped to 13meg.

So not sure whats causing that might be something on line who knows dropped the speed seems fine so i am going to ride it out and get it put bk up soon i hope.
      Last edited by blade; 26-10-08 at 01:43 PM.

2. Advertisement
      Ned Ludd is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Haxby
      Broadband ISP: PlusNet
      Router: TP-Link WR2543ND
      Sky TV: FreeSat
      Thanks

@AlexS,
      I think I'm in the same boat. I want to be able to prove, or disprove, that my problems go back to the router. However, this is impossible with Sky kit!
      If there is no way of changing the username/password on a Sky router then that's that for me!
      I'll just have to wait until my router is 'updated'!
      Geoff, York.
      Can't call me a Luddite now!

Sebby is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Potters Bar
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Ludd View Post
      @AlexS,
      I think I'm in the same boat. I want to be able to prove, or disprove, that my problems go back to the router. However, this is impossible with Sky kit!
      If there is no way of changing the username/password on a Sky router then that's that for me!
      I'll just have to wait until my router is 'updated'!
      I told Sky that I'd plugged in another router, just to see what it sync'd at and what the SNRM was doing. They've weren't bothered, but also weren't interested.

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

@ Everyone.
      Yes sorry I have a good line and cannot replicate your findings with respect to Netgear routers (it is a good line too, twenty years ago I laid it). But I cannot but think the easy way round your problems is to extract your usernames and passwords and use your own routers. I know it is against Sky T&C's, but nobody has been hauled up for doing it yet, and if they ever are, then may be the time to move on.
      I also understand that for some this is a point of principle, and that to use your own router is letting Sky off the hook, you would be covering up for Sky supplying defective equipment. This is cutting off your nose to spite your face, Sky don't give a rat's bottom wether you leave them or not, there are plenty more waiting to sign up.
      So to hell with the T&C's, if the Netgear is causing you problems, and Sky will not replace it with a Sagem, use your own router, and if Sky get upset tell them where to shove their BB. With any luck you will be beyond the min term by then and could leave without problems.

AlexS is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Draytek Vigor 130 + Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Brian, Yes as Sebby has pointed out earlier in the thread, you won't be able to duplicate the evening/nighttime drop outs even with a DG934 as your line is too good !
      You can probably attach almost anything to your line and it'll be stable with a good downsync speed. Those of us with stability problems who live several km from their exchanges, are issued with DG934's and are "trapped" in their 12-month Sky BB contracts have only two choices :
      1. Put up with the problems with our DG934's until the end of our contracts. Only options are hope that the new firmware fixes AR7 problem or ask Sky to cap our downsync to a low enough level to increase noise margin to prevent loss of connection. I've been there, Sky Max BB running at 1019k downsync is no fun !
      2. Break Sky's T&C by using our own router and risk Sky locking down their BB access to only Sky issued routers in the near future, forcing us back to option 1. If we're kicked off Sky BB for breaking the T&C, would we be also kicked off all Sky TV products as well ?
      There's muck on both ends of the stick through no fault of ours !

Talking of new firmware, ultraviolet how's your noise margin holding up tonight running version V2.02.44 ?

Thanks

I'm already migrating to Be on Tuesday anyway.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

I know it is against Sky T&C's, but nobody has been hauled up for doing it yet, and if they ever are, then may be the time to move on.
      As everyone knows, we speak to Sky on a weekly basis, there are two things that we are due an answer for.

1) Can a Sky BB customer use his or hers own router, without fear of being kicked off, and in the event of needing support, that they use their Sky BB router plugged in whilst speaking to Support.

2) Can SkyUser host the new FW for the V2 Netgear.

Hopefully both of these issues, if addressed, will further help those on Sky BB who are having issues.

For those of us about to go through DLM in the New Year, we have also asked Sky, for a copy of any instructions, that those who are getting in their welcome letter to be replicated on here.

I get the impression, this roll out of DLM will be orchestrated and communication will be, this time, forthcoming.

Nothing frustrates me more than people having issues, and then leaving to go to another ISP, purely, because their issues are not being addressed, properly by Sky or their CST staff. This isn't a dig at the staff whatsoever, merely an observation, that certain procedures are hampered by red tape so to speak.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

AlexS is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Draytek Vigor 130 + Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sebby View Post
      I'm already migrating to Be on Tuesday anyway.
      Lucky you.
      I believe the Be Box is based on the new Thomson (Speedtouch) range of Broadcomm wireless routers but with custom firmware... Will you be using this or something else ? I'm sure other Sky Max users would appreciate it if you could report back with any changes in line stats that you notice once you've migrated. The reported downsync speed and any change in line attenuation would be most interesting... There could be more questions than answers generated from a significant change !

Regards
      Alex

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AlexS View Post
      Lucky you.
      I believe the Be Box is based on the new Thomson (Speedtouch) range of Broadcomm wireless routers but with custom firmware... Will you be using this or something else ? I'm sure other Sky Max users would appreciate it if you could report back with any changes in line stats that you notice once you've migrated. The reported downsync speed and any change in line attenuation would be most interesting... There could be more questions than answers generated from a significant change !
      I'll be using the BeBox (SpeedTouch 585v7). I will be sure to report back.

(I'll also be on ADSL2+, which I'm current not on with Sky.)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Ludd View Post
      So far I'm holding 5241 and 8db! Ok for now!

Anybody else understand what the **** blade was on about?
      5120k and 3dB here. I could re-sync now, but it'll reconnect at the same rate with the same SNRM, and not lower as it should with a higher SNRM.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast