Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Router Firmware Updated.

This is a discussion on Router Firmware Updated. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I thought because of the inability to specify a username and password in the Sky firmware. I thought the serial ...

Sebby is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Potters Bar
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Router Firmware Updated.

I thought because of the inability to specify a username and password in the Sky firmware. I thought the serial number and MAC address of the router have to match the details that Sky hold? Perhaps I'm wrong then!

2. Advertisement
      Ned Ludd is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Haxby
      Broadband ISP: PlusNet
      Router: TP-Link WR2543ND
      Sky TV: FreeSat
      Thanks

Hmmmm. How do I get my username into it?
      Geoff, York.
      Can't call me a Luddite now!

Thanks

That's what I was thinking. I was under the impression that your username is based on the details of the router they send you.

AlexS is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Draytek Vigor 130 + Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

I've been doing some "unofficial" testing the last few days with different Netgear routers...
      I've attached Noise margin plots for the following setups :
      Sky issued V2 Netgear DG934G ( AR7 chipset ) V2.02.34 firmware
      Netgear DG834v2 ( AR7 chipset ) 3.01.38 firmware ( Netgear has added ADSL2+ tweaks from version 3.01.25 onwards ! )
      Netgear DG834v4 ( Broadcomm chipset ) 5.01.09 firmware
      Line details are :
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 2560 kbps 768 kbps
      Line Attenuation 51 db 15 db
      Noise Margin 9 db 11 db
      I believe I'm currently running ADSL2+ mode as my attenuation went from 49-50db up to 51-52db during Summer's DLM trial...I'm also capped at 2560k from the DLM trial. BT Openreach guy told me my line length is 3809m and nearly all the line was above ground.
      The patches to the firmware of the DG834v2 appear to have improved the stability of the AR7 slightly, at least it didn't lose connection. It's obvious that a Broadcomm chipset is happier with my line conditions... I knew this anyway as I used a Speedtouch ST546v6 with Zen Internet previously and was getting 3400k down sync.
      I'm not sure if the AR7 chipset is the main culprit, perhaps more the quality ( or lack of it ) of the routers ADSL driver in the firmware. Some companies that use the AR7 like Netgear have attempted to solve the problem, others are in denial and don't want to know ! I believe both the Netgear DG834Gv4 & DG834Gv5 do not use the AR7. v4 is Broadcomm, v5 is Conexxant ?
      I've read somewhere that about 40% of the ADSL routers on sale use the AR7 chip.
      There is a link for some popular routers that use the AR7 chip on Wikipedia:
      TI-AR7 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Router Firmware Updated.-dg934.jpg   Router Firmware Updated.-dg834v2.jpg   Router Firmware Updated.-dg834v4.jpg  

Thanks

Very, very interesting, and I think proves the point? The "deniers" tend to be those with good lines that don't suffer from swings in SNRM.

As you say, the issue is likely to lie with the ADSL driver, rather than the physical hardware.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sebby View Post
      Very, very interesting, and I think proves the point? The "deniers" tend to be those with good lines that don't suffer from swings in SNRM.

As you say, the issue is likely to lie with the ADSL driver, rather than the physical hardware.
      To be fair Sebby, "those in denial" was aimed at the router manufacturers that use the AR7 and don't want to know about any issues with it.
      The comment was not at BB users who are lucky to have relatively short / noise free lines and can only report on their own experiences...If they're happy with their speed/reliability of their connections, they're not likely to have issue are they ?
      My own view is that I'll wait for Sky to update the DG934 firmware and take it from there. If it doesn't solve the problem, a Broadcomm based router may "accidently" get connected until Feb 09 when my Sky contract is up... I'll then shop around for the best deal and move on...

Thanks

You're right, it is the manufacturers. But there are also a lot of people on here and other forums that are all too quick to blame our lines, just because they can't see the issue on their good line. Still, it's neither here nor there really.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sebby View Post
      You're right, it is the manufacturers. But there are also a lot of people on here and other forums that are all too quick to blame our lines, just because they can't see the issue on their good line. Still, it's neither here nor there really.
      I think you make a good point there, but it's all about the percentages.
      It all depends on the demographic of the router distribution. ie If most Sky BB users with good lines just happen to have Netgears and those with longer or slightly noisy lines just happen to have Sagems, then the percentage with the "wrong" combination must be quite small. ( people like you and me ) Considering Sky's BB user base, this is still a lot of people though possibly hundreds who can't work out what the problem is...
      Perhaps when the N type wireless network standard is sorted, Sky could release a V3 N-wireless router for new users with a discount for existing BB users to trade-in that has a Broadcomm chipset for the ADSL connection...
      I bit like BT's new HomeHub v2.0? Hmm, perhaps not !
      I'll stick with my Plan A for the time being and burn the other bridges when I get to them...

blade is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

I thought on sky bb you can only use there router and not any other as the MAC has to match ones on system and there end too i even phone few nights back and saying you cant use any other router other than one provided by sky

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blade View Post
      I thought on sky bb you can only use there router and not any other as the MAC has to match ones on system and there end too i even phone few nights back and saying you cant use any other router other than one provided by sky
      That's the official line. using your own router is against Sky's T&C.
      There are methods to "extract" your details from the Sky router and use your own. Some people may have done this and sold their Sky routers on Ebay ! I personally wouldn't recommend that as Sky may lock down the routers they allow to connect to Sky BB at any time it suits them. Leaving those Sky BB users up a certain creek ! In "theory" I could have done this procedure for a few days for testing purposes, but I will continue to use Sky's router wherever possible...

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast