Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Router Firmware Updated.

This is a discussion on Router Firmware Updated. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Well just to try it out, I brought a Netgear DG934G off e-bay and tried it on my line. My ...

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Router Firmware Updated.

Well just to try it out, I brought a Netgear DG934G off e-bay and tried it on my line. My Sagem, the Netgear and My Speedtouch all gave the same results, with no undue Noise margin swing (about 1.5dB over 24 hours) This has taken place over the last 5 days, and I am now back to the Sagem.

The sagem and Speedtouch 546v6 both use Broadcom chipsets (the speedtouch would be fine for you IANTE, as it is not wireless)

2. Advertisement
      ippylad is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hello folks,

First off... I am a newbie on this forum but I have been keeping up with the post about drop outs on Sky Broadband.

Having migrated to sky max, I have to say I too have had drop outs and my SNR is like a bouncy ball after 6pm. Although I was aware of the T&C I have taken steps to try and resolve issues with the drop outs by trying various routers, Sky's Netgear, Netgear DG834N and two brands. The issue of the noise jumping on a night was the same on all routers.

Having then plugged my Sky Netgear in I called support, and after a few minutes put through to T3. The guy was more than helpful explaned what he was doing tried switching 2+ and various speeds.

Most people are aware syncing your router earlier in the day gives you a higher sync speeds but I found that the higher the speed the more times it dropped out, I agreed with Tech guy to drop my speed by just one meg and got him to reballance the line.

I left my sky netgear (v2) plugged in for 24 hours and funny enough it had not had a drop my connection although my SNR does move from 7 in the day to about 5 still in the evening. Last night I tried it with my other router and again no drops.

Could it just be that people at connecting at speeds they are just not able to handle or was that just my experience? I know that this is my personal account and wont be the same for everyone ...

Sebby is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Potters Bar
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brian69 View Post
      Well just to try it out, I brought a Netgear DG934G off e-bay and tried it on my line. My Sagem, the Netgear and My Speedtouch all gave the same results, with no undue Noise margin swing (about 1.5dB over 24 hours) This has taken place over the last 5 days, and I am now back to the Sagem.

The sagem and Speedtouch 546v6 both use Broadcom chipsets (the speedtouch would be fine for you IANTE, as it is not wireless)
      What's your line like, Bryan?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ippylad View Post
      Could it just be that people at connecting at speeds they are just not able to handle or was that just my experience? I know that this is my personal account and wont be the same for everyone ...
      All along I've believed it's because Netgears actually sync too high. They seem to ignore the target SNRM. So, yes, Sky manually reducing the speed probably sorts the issue, but I still believe that the underlying problem is with the router.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Brian - although I don't use wireless, my Dad does so need to have wireless (although might try and convince him to use Homeplugs)...would someone on Wireless G notice anything using an draft N router?
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

@ Sebby
      I take your point, it is underground, 20dB attenuation and syncs at the full wack for Max. I find it hard to belive that Netgear would produce a router that did not work well with the majority of lines.
      Last edited by Brian69; 24-10-08 at 11:30 AM.

Thanks

Well there you go - you've got plenty of margin anyway so you wouldn't notice it on your line.

I've got a 47dB line, a lot of which is above ground. My first router on IPStream Max was a Netgear DG834Gv1. The SNRM was all over the place, I had disconnects all the time, etc. I got a router with a Broadcom chipset and I permanently had a solid 6dB SNRM, day or night, and no disconnects.

You have to also remember that the AR7 issue was even acknowledged by Netgear, and they released a firmware to fix it (although I found it made little difference).

ippylad is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

It can not just be Netgear I also tried a Linksys and Belkin routers they all had the same issue.

Just one other thing....

I did ask the Tech op about the V2 update he said it was a minor fix that places new defaults for speeds on the router in preperation for DLM. So I asked about DLM.. he said that the first batch of letters were due to go out to selected people next month informing them how it will condition lines and what to do. He did also point out that they would reset any line if DLM had reduced speeds.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

the first wave of DLM2 is for NEW connections only - so if you're already connected it's not for you...the main roll out is in the new year from what ive heard...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

@ Sebby
      You have a router with a broadcom chip set (the 2-wire) so why not use it. I know it is against Sky T&C's, but if the issue of using a non-sky router ever came up, you could tell them why you do. By changing ISP, this seems to be taking a sledge hammer to crack a nut.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast