Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Please Help

This is a discussion on Please Help within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi please can anyone help, I have been a broadband user for 2yrs with various isp's my last was with ...

philh is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01322
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Please Help

Hi please can anyone help, I have been a broadband user for 2yrs with various isp's my last was with BT and in the past six months my speed and connections were non exsistant. Trying to get the fault rectified was impossible with the BT help desk, so I migrated to SKY BB. Upon activation date 19th sept 08 we could not get connected, when phoning sky csd they capped the speed 64k up and down so we could at lest get a reliable connection, this we did achieve but veeeery slow as you can imagine, I will keep this brief but 5 BT yes 5 engineers later Sky (BT escalations dept) came to the conclusion that BT decided that we had over 3000 faults on our line and repair/rectifiacation was not a feasible option. So Sky (BT escalations) said they can no longer suppy BB to me any more.

We have the Mid package
      Netgear router (dark grey)
      Wireless and tried ethernet

Wan PPPoA 0 0 0 0 0 0 00:00:00
      Lan 100M/Full 1439 0 0 58 0 01:31:26
      WLAN 11M/54M 8722 15009 0 502 203 01.31.26

0 kpbs download 0 kpbs upload and 0 dB line attenuation download and 0 dB upload line attenuation

We are using neighbours wireless connection for this post
      Please can any one help with poss faults or options
      thanks philh

2. Advertisement
      reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Please Help

I think your only option to to escalate to the regulators (OFCOM) as BT seem to be quite happy to collect your line rental fee but unwilling to fix the faults on your line.

How to complain | Ofcom

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

As you are not syncing with the exchange, it looks like Sky have disconnected you. Your only chance of getting it fixed is through voice line fault. Do you have a lot of noise on your line? I think you must have, either that or you are very far from the exchange and outwith the broadband area. As your next door neighbour gets broadband this is unlikely but not impossible. If your voice line is OK, I don't think even Ofcom will be able to help as there is no legal requirement for BT to supply a broadband capable phone line. But there is no harm in trying.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Hi again just the news i was expecting, is there any other reliable means of getting BB into my house as 3 users constantly using it for school work ,cisco online test etc. usb modems can work out expensive for the whole house to use
      thanks again, philh

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Try a quiet line test. If you have a TestSocket plug into that and using a corded phone, dial 17070, option 2. If you hear any noise on the line report it to BT as a noisy voice line. Don't say anything about broadband or they will probably ignore you. If you don't have a Test socket like the link, disconnect everything you have plugged into the phone circuit and try it from the Master socket.

If you cannot get broadband at all over the phone line, your other options are using a mobile phone providers service or dial up. With dial up, you could use something like OnSpeed which can speed up your connection. The speed you would get from a mobile connection depends a lot on how far you are from the mast and it is quite expensive.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Thanks for your replies, managed to get connected today, posted my stats and hopefully someone may spot something.
      thanks again to you all philh

Router StatisticsSystem Up Time: 06:54:28

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 104131 87893 0 1726 1568 04:22:11
      LAN 100M/Full 10359 0 0 84 0 06:54:24
      WLAN 11M/54M 129696 149578 0 1569 1580 06:54:11
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 66 kbps 68 kbps
      Line Attenuation 57 db 18.5 db
      Noise Margin 10 db 19 db

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

you're capped on test speed on adsl2+...you now need to call Sky to remove the cap...if you're still with Escalations they should call you to check...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

escalations said they have capped it to 64k as any speeds over this causes my connection to drop instantly, they say i have 3000 faults on my line as this is the best they can do, DO YOU think this is correct or sholud BT further invetigate

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

well, the line is capped - if the line is really that bad then Sky won't pay for it as it's throwing money away...BT should repair it though, if they're your phone provider then they have to do the work (unless there's nothing wrong with your line voice wise and you're in a Catch 22)...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

my voice line is clear no crackles/hisses my only slight concern is the very low audio volume whilst in conversation, any outside noise and I can not hear the caller I have to go to a quiet room with no ambient noise, call quality is good though.
      Should i just except veeery slow speeds or keep up my concern phone calls to sky bb and BT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast