Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

BT Wholesale Hell - Moving Home

This is a discussion on BT Wholesale Hell - Moving Home within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; We moved home on the 29th of September. Getting things ready, I contacted Sky two weeks before to get a ...

greyrider is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: O2
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

BT Wholesale Hell - Moving Home

We moved home on the 29th of September. Getting things ready, I contacted Sky two weeks before to get a new dish installed and to start moving broadband, only to be told to ring five days prior, in case they cut my service early.
      Ringing five days before got the install date set up but I was then told to ring on the day I actually moved to have broadband shifted.
      Ringing again - can you see where this is going yet? - on the day, Monday, I was told to call back on Friday.
      Ringing on Friday, told that there was a problem with my line and that I needed to contact BT. Pardon? Despite my saying that BT Wholesale won't talk to civilians, only the ISP, Mrs Sky was most insistent. So I rang the engineers who got quite unpleasant towards the end but, who did insist that the line was fine, the order was cleared and I could "go and get broadband from anybody" I liked. So I called Sky back (five times that day) to be told that there was a problem with the line and that I should ring back on Monday.
      Monday, told there was nothing to be done and to call back Tuesday.
      Tuesday I got laughed at and told "there's nothing we can do, you'll have to go with Virgin cable"
      Wednesday "problem with the line".
      Thursday, lost the will.
      Friday I got through to somebody who'd listen and who claimed to be routing the problem via the "Back Office" which would not only contact BT Wholesale but would also RING me when the issue was resolved!!
      Monday I ran my number through a broadband checker which told me I could have ADSL in any flavour I wanted (sigh).
      Sky didn't agree and told me to try again Tuesday.
      Tuesday a chap said there appeared to be an issue with my line (doh) but said he'd keep trying.
      All it needs, apparantly, is for Sky to talk to BT Wholesale. All it requires is that BT Wholesale update their records.
      Meantime, no broadband here and most conversations include the words "BT Wholsale, scum sucking........etc,etc."
      Oh and all my calls to Sky have included the entire gamut of being on hold for up to 25 minutes while waiting to be transferred from one desk to another and then getting cut-off, one quite rude individual, several endearingly pleasant persons - two of whom also cut me off - and a few, seemingly really concerned staff members who (well they had me convinced) tried to sort the matter out.
      There's no point me going elsewhere, the same problem would surface, new number, BT (hack, spit) Wholesale dragging their heels etc, but by gum it's getting boring now.
      I might ring again later today, I quite miss my little chats with the Sky staff.

2. Advertisement
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Re: BT Wholesale Hell - Moving Home

Just an update, if anybody's interested, a week later and I thought (I have a weird sense of humour) to plug in the router and see if it sync'd. Naah. So I rang to ask how things were progressing on the moving home, re-establishing broadband front. Nothing, zip, zilch, nada, no change. It appears the very nice man who claimed he'd "keep trying", gave up after a relatively short while and never bothered again. Still the same result, the "back office" have been informed, only this time it also involved a (sound of distant trumpets) "POWER USER" and I've been assured that I'll get a call back when it's resolved. Oh, a new expression surfaced this time, "there's a fault with the system". Not heard that one before.
      So, another week. No broadband.
      Anyone have any idea at all on how I might resolve this? I have BT line. I get billed by BT. BT gave me the new number, it's a new installation.
      Sky's system says it's a cable and that I can only go with Virgin.
      They don't seem to be talking to BT Wholesale.
      BT Wholsesale are ring fenced and will only talk to the ISP.
      HELP!
      Anyone?

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

'Back office' is probably the provisioning team - and from the sounds of it's a bodge between Sky's and BTW's systems not allowing an order to be processed...might be in for a long wait so prob best to cancel and move elsewhere or put up with it...Prov will call you once it's ready to order - NOT before...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by greyrider View Post
      There's no point me going elsewhere, the same problem would surface
      Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy View Post
      'might be in for a long wait so prob best to cancel and move elsewhere
      Yep, the issue would be the same if you moved to a different provider but I doubt the resolution would be. Sky is desperately hampered by its systems, processes (and dare I say it, culture). When things go wrong they tend to stay that way.

In my personal experience there is at least one other ISP that has a very different track record, is a pleasure to deal with and offers the same or better price/speeds ratio as Sky. Another ISP may struggle with your situation too of course but they may not take as long as Sky to resolve it.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Move?? Unlimited @ 10 a month and no problem - till now - makes it a tough choice, although I'm seriously considering it now. Researching via the library and the odd dial up is almost too painful to keep looking.
      Any clues on the "at least one other ISP" because I'm not finding anyone I'd go with so far.
      ( I did thinkto go elsewhere, get it sorted and then come back ).

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by greyrider View Post
      Any clues on the "at least one other ISP"
      LOL - you could maybe find the clue in my Skyuser profile a couple of lines below my name

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

I think he means O2 and there is a 17 cashback offer on as well via the linky below from this site.

o2 Broadband - 17 Cashback October 2008
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Exchange:
      Thanks

Blah! Done the deed - albeit at a mightily slow crawl via dialup. Bye then to Sky, the 8p a minute Customer Service number, the interminable waits on hold, the repeated disconnects and the apparant lack of any action - and apologies if somebody out there did try to do anything, I'm offski.
      Many thanks guys for the pointers, the sign up was easy and accompanied with repeated SMS messages to keep me informed.....0800 number for CS too <hurrah>.

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

For future reference 3 mobile and other mobile firms have started doing pay as you go mobile internet dongles, they cost 40 and 10 for 30 days use but do give 2-3 meg/sec speed but only a 1 gig useage allowence.

But could be very handy if you get stuck again at least you don't need to use dial up.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks again guys. BTW, so far an amazing service, too many SMS messages to shake a stick at and the router arrived this morning!
      And one more thing, thinking to do "The Right Thing", I rang Sky today to cancel the order for moving my broadband. After the usual time wasting I got transferred to a chap who expressed his "total amazement" that nothing had been done to progress my order. That's as in, NOTHING had been done by any of the half dozen or so pleasant Scottish ladies, all of whom claimed to be trying to sort things out, and good old Stan, let's not forget to mention Stan, who said he'd written down my details and would keep entering them until he got my broadband set up, no need for me to call back, it would be done. So, from my first call to get it moved to my new address right up until yesterday, all I was fed by every person I spoke to at Sky was a load of b/s. Thanks guys, really helpful and much appreciated.
      Sky does provide an excellent service, provided nothing goes wrong........I'll not be back, but I will be asking for a refund against all those 'phone calls.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast