Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

dramtic speed drop on what was stable line

This is a discussion on dramtic speed drop on what was stable line within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I have had sky BB max for what seems ages now, about two years, as soon as my llu became ...

gazter is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: carlisle
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

dramtic speed drop on what was stable line

I have had sky BB max for what seems ages now, about two years, as soon as my llu became unbundled.
      I have for those few years a nice solid connection, tending to stabilize around 2800kbps. Sometimes sneak up to 3000, and sometimes down to 2700, but pretty much there (upload remains at 768))

Over the last three days however, my download speed has got worse and worse, and now seems stuck at about 1100.

I connect to the master socket directly using a bt adsl faceplate. Nothing has changed to my setup in the last few days, and no noise on the phone.

I use a netgear white router, and here are the line stats:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 1152 kbps 768 kbps
      Line Attenuation 63.5 db 31.5 db
      Noise Margin 7.4 db 8.0 db

Gaz

2. Advertisement
      Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: dramtic speed drop on what was stable line

Long lines degrade, and also as the long nights return, things like defective street lighting can have an effect on performance.
      As you say your phone is noise free (connect a normal wired phone to the test socket, dial a digit to kill the dial tone, and all you should hear is a low hiss) it's difficult to know what to say, you may have too put up with this untill any line fault gets bad enough to effect the telephone and then report a noisy line.
      Have you tried replacing the filter?, there is an outside chance it may be faulty.

Check the RJ11 plugs (filter to router cable) are secure and the cable is not damaged.
      Re-boot the router and give it plenty of air.
      Last edited by Brian69; 14-10-08 at 10:35 AM.

gazter is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: carlisle
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: dramtic speed drop on what was stable line

Quote Originally Posted by Brian69 View Post
      Long lines degrade, and also as the long nights return, things like defective street lighting can have an effect on performance.
      As you say your phone is noise free (connect a normal wired phone to the test socket, dial a digit to kill the dial tone, and all you should hear is a low hiss) it's difficult to know what to say, you may have too put up with this untill any line fault gets bad enough to effect the telephone and then report a noisy line.
      Have you tried replacing the filter?, there is an outside chance it may be faulty.

Check the RJ11 plugs (filter to router cable) are secure and the cable is not damaged.
      Re-boot the router and give it plenty of air.
      I crimped the cables myself and used high quality twisted core, bt spec. But, i will give it a look and recrimp the plugs