Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Have sky screwed my line settings

This is a discussion on Have sky screwed my line settings within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Please see here:- http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-b...t-problem.html I was getting between 4.7 and 5.2 meg but was getting frequent drop outs and reconnects. ...

paul thompson is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: BEESTON
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Have sky screwed my line settings

Please see here:- Drop out problem

I was getting between 4.7 and 5.2 meg but was getting frequent drop outs and reconnects. Sky told me they reconfigured my line. I was then syncing at no faster than something like 3076 down and 416 up. Every time I restarted the router it remained exactly the same but still got drop outs and reconnects. Sky told me again that they we reconfigure my line and it may take up to 5 days, they said that on Saturday, but it looks like they already have as I'm now getting :-

Connection Speed 2304 kbps 96 kbps
      Line Attenuation 49b 15.5 db
      Noise Margin 10 db 6 db

It was like this for 46+ hours, I've restarted the router and the stats remain the same again.

Both my d/l and u/l speeds are now shocking although seems stable. Are these just test settings so they can get to the bottom of what ever the problem may be or is this the best I can expect

Cheers
      Paul.

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: Have sky screwed my line settings

the upstream is your problem at present...low with a low SNR so try your test socket first...

line is capped though, but not much looking by the downstream SNR...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

I've tried both my ADSL Nation face plate and test socket with several different filters with no change. Why would I be "capped" when I clearly have a problem with my line or something or are Sky "experimenting" to try and find the fault ?
      I'm not a heavy user either, I'm just confused.

Thanks

I also have nothing but my router connected, no phones, extensions or anything

Thanks

More information on my line here DSL ZoneUK - View topic - Speed, (I know your all thinking not this chestnut again) on a different forum, don't know if the link will work though. I've just disconnected and reconnected everything and I'm now getting

Connection Speed 2304 kbps 288 kbps
      Line Attenuation 50 db 15.5 db
      Noise Margin 13 db 14 db

u/s has improved but d/s hasn't. Would that mean I'm capped and why ?

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Assuming that you have no problems with your phone (no noise on the line,other than a low hiss when you listern having killed the dial tone by dialing a digit) Then you may have a problem with your line. However Sky and most ISP's are relutant to get Openreach to you for an instablity problem (it is expensive). As they do not recognise that a given line should provide a given speed, they just configure your line untill it is stable (which is cheap)

Thanks

I'll have to find my phone, havn't used it or had it plugged in for months, will dig it out. Use my mobile all the time now.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

you're capped - no doubt about it - so i assume you've called Sky at some point as the 'auto regrade' has probably got you...look out for a txt via phone/mobile at some point in the next 24hrs...

looks like you'll need to call Sky again to get the cap removed...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

It's a cordless phone and I can hear a bit of noise but can't tell if thats from the PSU for the phone or the tx/rx of the phone. I'll have to get a propper old school phone.

Thanks

It's all been done via email

Hello,

Thank you for getting back to me. I have checked my Router Status and it has held connectoion for over 46 hours. However, both my download and upload speeds are shockingly slow. I have restarted my router and the stats remain the same:-

Connection Speed 2304 kbps 96 kbps
      Line Attenuation 49 db 15.5 db
      Noise Margin 13 db 6 db

Can the download/upload speeds be increased at all or are these just "test" fugures ?

Regards,

On 10/11/08, Sky Broadband Support <help@skycustomersupport.com> wrote:
      Dear ,

Thank you for contacting Sky Broadband Technical Support.

I have created a technical enquiry for our Customer Solutions Team, Ref: 901597, who will make some adjustments to your line, in order to stabilise your connection. This will be actioned within the next 5 days.

Alternatively, you can contact our Technical Support team on 08442 41 05 15 option 1 then option 3.

If you need further help or information, please reply to this email or contact us on 08442 41 05 15.

Kind regards

David
      Sky Broadband Technical Support
      Sky
      Sky.com - Home
      ©BSkyB Ltd 2008. British Sky Broadcasting Ltd (Company No. 02906991) has its registered office at Grant Way , Isleworth, Middlesex TW7 5QD.

Original Message Follows: ------------------------

On 10/7/08, Sky Broadband Support <help@skycustomersupport.com> wrote:
      Dear ,

Thank you for contacting Sky Broadband Technical Support.

In order for us to establish the cause of your connection issues with your Broadband Box, can you please follow the steps outlined below : Could you then please reply to this email with the details requested within it if this does not resolve your connection.

This will help us to identify what is causing your connection issue. Please include in your reply any additional information you think will be relevant.

How many telephone sockets do you have in your property and how many of these are currently in use?

Your Answer One
      Is your Broadband Box connected to the master BT telephone socket?

This is usually the first socket at the point in which your telephone line enters your property. If you are still in doubt please call BT to check which is the master socket.
      Your Answer? Yes
      In order to connect your Broadband Box to your telephone socket are you using only the cables we supplied or have you added different cables or telephone extensions?
      The microfilter should be the first piece of equipment plugged into the master socket.
      The grey cable we supplied should then be connected into the ADSL/Modem side of the microfilter with the other end into the back of the Broadband Box.
      All other telephony equipment (such as your Sky+/Digibox, Fax)should be plugged into the phone side of the microfilter, an adapter can be used here if necessary.
      Your Answer? Yes

Can you make us aware if you have a pre-filtered faceplate?

This is a phone socket which has two ports on the front faceplate.
      One port will be smaller and square in shape and is for the grey cable to connect the Broadband Box to the telephone line.
      The other port will be larger and rectangular in shape and is for connecting the telephone.
      Your Answer? Yes ADSL Nation
      If you do not have a pre-filtered faceplate have you placed a microfilter on all of your telephone sockets which are in use?
      Your Answer?
      Can you please let us know which lights are displayed on your Broadband Box and what colour they are? (Delete as appropriate)
      Router colour: Black

In order to identify the order of the lights could you please place the Sky Broadband box horizontally down.

Starting from the left:
      Power Light (first left): Green
      Test Light (second left): Off
      Wireless Light (third left): Green
      Internet Light (fourth left): Green
      LAN status (four lights numbered 1, 2, 3 and 4): 1 On, 2, 3 & 4 Off
      Your master socket may have a horizontal line about half way down with two screws which can be unscrewed to remove the lower half of the faceplate. If you have this then please unscrew the two screws to reveal a test socket, which will be located behind the lower removable faceplate. Please switch and use the test socket to see if your issue is resolved.

What was the result? Same
      If your issue is a slow or intermittent connection and you are connecting wirelessly, have you tried the yellow Ethernet cable to see if the issue is the same?

What was the result? I am connected both wirelessly on a laptop and ethernet on my PC and it's the same on both

Kind regards
      Sky Broadband Technical Support
      Sky

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast