Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Migration from NTL Questions

This is a discussion on Migration from NTL Questions within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I have now received an email from Sky Broadband inviting me to sign up. I am currently using NTL broadband ...

Malcolm H is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Migration from NTL Questions

I have now received an email from Sky Broadband inviting me to sign up. I am currently using NTL broadband and have some questions:

1. As NTL is cable and not ADSL presumably I do not need to give SkyBB a MAC number?

2. Can I sign up as a new user and use both SkyBB and NTL BB simultaneously for a transition period?

3. If so could I have my existing cable router and the new Netgear router both connected to my computer and select the required service via 'Network Connections' in the Windows XP Control Panel?

4. Can I sign with SkyBB initially for the FREE service and then upgrade later to the Mid or Max service?

2. Advertisement
      Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Welcome to the site Malcolm

As your present connection is cable a MAC Code would be of no use to SkyBB

There is no reason why you shouldn't as one requires a BT phone line and the other doesn't.

I am not sure you would be able to do that unless you had either 2 Ethernet ports on your PC or 1 Ethernet and 1 Wireless connection

You can sign-up to any package you want as long as you are able to receive them but if you do have LLU and opt for the Free one you will have to remember there is a 2 GIG cap a month on it and as far as I know you can upgrade but not sure how easy it would be yet due to the newness of SkyBB as they have enough problems getting people connected as it is so god knows how they will deal with upgrades.
      Last edited by Wheelie; 23-09-06 at 09:43 AM.
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

Malcolm H is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thank you Ray for your amazingly prompt reply.

Presumably I could connect the two routers (via a hub?) so that they are part of the same LAN?
      Last edited by Wheelie; 23-09-06 at 09:54 AM. Reason: Please do not quote the preceding post. Please use QUOTE sparingly if you wish to aim a reply at a user then please use @User Name this helps us to keep the forum tidy and posts more compact. Thanks

Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      No problems

Yes I guess that option would work as well but I am not upto speed with anything like that as I have never tired it but I bet there is a members or two that will have the answers

Good luck
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here