Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Why won't they help me?!

This is a discussion on Why won't they help me?! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by Sabrina Here are the router stats, hope i've got the right bit Modem ADSL Firmware Version 6.02.01.00 ...

indefatigable is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BB tech Support + Max
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 2TB
      Thanks

Re: Why won't they help me?!

Quote Originally Posted by Sabrina View Post
      Here are the router stats, hope i've got the right bit

Modem
      ADSL Firmware Version 6.02.01.00
      Modem Status Connected
      DownStream Connection Speed 8128 kbps
      UpStream Connection Speed 448 kbps
      VPI 0
      VCI 38

I received a call from Sky today and they're trying to sort it with BT. Although apparently BT said there's nothing wrong. They've done some more line tests and I should hear from them tomorrow. I do think Sky are trying to help now, but BT are the obstacle here.

There is nothing Bt can do. Your line is syncing at 8mbps, the maximum for the connect package. Your router shows this.

I don't think your slow connection is caused by the connection.

Have you cleared your browser cache i.e. deleted temporary internet files and cookies? This can sometimes bog your connection down.

Also, switch off your PC and router, then turn them both back on. Once the computer is loaded, open your Command Prompt window (start - all programs - accessories - command prompt) and type netstat into the window, hit enter.

Count all the entries that begin TCP, as these are the connections your computer is making to the internet. If the number is above 10, you have too many programs on your computer, and that is slowing down your connection.

Run an anti-virus/anti-spyware scan as you may have malicious programs on your computer.

hope that helps

2. Advertisement
      Sabrina is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Yeovil
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Why won't they help me?

Ok, first of all I have never EVER been rude to anyone on the phone. I haven't been "bashing" Sky Tech. If i'm not getting what i'm paying for then I phone up to enquire about it. So how can I be accused to bashing them when no on knows what was said? I have been nice to sky. I actually find it hard to talk to people on the phone, i'm hardly going to be shouting at anyone.

The tech people at Sky have done line tests and have told me that there IS a cap on my line. There is nothing wrong with my equipment. I went from 6.4mbps with Orange to 1.8mbps with Sky a few days later.

I have been told the 8128 kbps on the router is the maximum speed able to get through it, not what I am getting. As I said, even Sky told me there is a cap.

I also know its not my computer as it's the same for my partner's computer. I'm just waiting for a new motherboard so we can build a new computer and i'll see if it's any different then.

reddwarfcrew is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

follow the advice in the post number 11.

Your router is syncing at 8Mb so this means that either the BT Connect traffic shaping is kicking in or there are problems on your side.

Can you confirm that a) you are connected via cable and not wireless and b) what your speedtest is from this site Namesco BroadbandMax ADSL Broadband Bandwidth speedtest | Test your ADSL Broadband connection speed

indefatigable is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BB tech Support + Max
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 2TB
      Thanks

well you may have been misinformed

If there was a cap on your line, then your router would show a lower connection speed. that is how caps work, it caps your maximum connection speed, not your throughput.

I'm in BB tech at sky, and if i had you on the phone, and you told me the router showed an 8mbps connection speed, as it does, i would tell you there is no cap, because there isn't a cap on your line.

There is a possibility that your line cannot handle the 8mbps correctly, and they may need to place a cap on your line, but at this time, there is no cap on your line. You are being provided the full 8mbps of the Connect package, and your router is connecting at this speed.

dont mean to be blunt, but the facts are the facts.

Sabrina is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Yeovil
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Why won't they help me?

Hi, I can confirm that we are connected using wires, not wireless. I've just done a test from that website and it says download speed 1937 kbps and upload speed 321 kbps.

My partner has a brand new computer, about a week old which we bought after switching to Sky and he still gets the same results. We keep the computers 'tidy' and running fast. I've done all the things Sky have asked me to over the phone, command prompt etc.

Well thanks for your help anyway. I don't know what else to do then. I know our line should handle more as it did with Orange. I don't understand what's different. I really am lost now.

reddwarfcrew is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Is it possible to do another speedtest first thing tomorrow morning?

Also have you ran TCPOptimiser? http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12