Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sky Broadband stability

This is a discussion on Sky Broadband stability within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I am not a heavy user of my BB . I work in software so by the time I get ...

deff is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: London
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sky Broadband stability

I am not a heavy user of my BB. I work in software so by the time I get home I di not want to go near my PC after looking at the screen all day at work.

I seem have notice these problem more when I am at home for whatever reason.

I am using the master socket all the time but this afternoon, the broadband has gone dowm a few times. I noticed a lot of noise on the phone too.

When this happens I can't even acess the router admin page. When I do manage to get in, the downstream speed has always gone down.

Thanks to me a friend living on the same road signed up for sky BB and he also get connect drop outs.

Is anyone getting the same problem?

Here are my router stats when it last happened

My downstream is normally around 7.6MB

System Up Time 01:12:34
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 649 142 0 151 97 00:09:07
      LAN 10M/100M 12832 8805 0 772 277 01:12:31
      WLAN 11M/54M 303 0 0 18 0 01:12:23

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 5486 kbps 412 kbps
      Line Attenuation 31.5 db 17.9 db
      Noise Margin 20.6 db 23.5 db

Deff

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Sky Broadband stability

Can you explain your setup? Are you using any extensions or are there any other sockets in use on the line? Do you have Sky tv plugged into the line if so is it in the filter? Do you get noise on the line when only the phone is plugged in without the filters and router?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Has DLM started? Low connection speed+high noise margin seem to indicate it. Either that or a very heavy cap, this line should get the full whack.

Also normal upload would be 416.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

DLM hasn't kicked in again as far as I know, I was wondering about those numbers too, not good for the attenuation.

Thanks

If it has not started then there is a very severe cap in place. Maybe the OP has been in touch with Sky and they have completely hobbled his connection without looking for the real reason for the problem.

Could the OP plug into his Master socket and see what the results are from there. I don't expect them to be much different to be honest. There may be some intermittent interference causing the problem.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Easy route would be to get into the test socket if possible, post stats and call Sky tier 1 to see what is going on. If the stats don't change in the test socket something is going on. Tier 1 can see wether or not DLM is active on the line or has been at any time.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi All,

DLM was active on the line at one. I got through to the 2nd tier support and this was removed.

Other than the BT master socket, I have 3 other extention sockets. None of then are being used (only master) but they have filters on them. Infact I changed then think that it could be causing the problem.

I then got a face plate so that the phone and router can have separate sockets.

My bt test socket is not in view so no worry about filters hanging out. I now using this permanently.

I have tried serveral modem cables supplied with routers (I have serveral sky ones). I bought a 5 meter one and tried that also but I wanted the length to be as short as possible.

It seems that I am not getting far with sky to get to the real route of the problem. BT own the line but my calls are through sky. BT were talking about a lot of money to come out.

I can get my BB to be paid for by my company so I am now thinking of jumping ship to BE( Even bulldog were more stabe).

Deff

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

You may have already tried this, so apologies in advance.

(1) with the filter faceplate removed, check to see if there is a dial tone at the extensions (there should not be).

(2) check there is a dial tone at the test socket, there should be one there and with the faceplate removed, no dial tone anywhere else.

I know you said you do not use your extensions, but if your wiring is incorrect, they may still effect your BB

Thanks

There is nothing wrong with your line, except that it is capped. With your existing figures you could connect at over 10Mbs if the cap were removed. Ask them to remove the cap and see what happens. There is a good chance that your drop outs have been caused by the weather or even BT working close to your line. If you had a permanent, fault your noise margin would not be so high.

If you have the DG834GT, try running Mossywell's BSR, this will enable you to obtain your detailed stats for examination and will reboot your router if it drops.
      New monitor tool (2.0.0.0) to reboot router automatically

This will not work with the V2 routers.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi,

I will give all your suggestions a try when I get in after work. I habe both the DG834GT and the sagem router which sky sent as they thought that the DG834GT may have been the cause of thr problem. I have tried both and do not see any difference. If any I prefer the DG834GT V1.

Cheers

Deff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast