Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

broadband has converted itself to 'dial-up'!

This is a discussion on broadband has converted itself to 'dial-up'! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I've had sky base for 6 weeks now. It use to be brilliant but for the last 4/5 days, well, ...

stephensky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

broadband has converted itself to 'dial-up'!

I've had sky base for 6 weeks now. It use to be brilliant but for the last 4/5 days, well, its crap!

When trying to view 'youtube' videos, it stutters evry 6 seconds and does exactly what it did when I had dial up. BBC video sites are also the same, around 7 seconds, then it stops to buffer more video.

It does this both on my wireless laptop, and wireless desktop. It use to be as smooth as anything. Any ideas on how to cure?

stephen

2. Advertisement
      pebbleheed is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: 3 for 26
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: broadband has converted itself to 'dial-up'!

Yes. Leave Sky and head to someone like VM who seem to be able to offer closer to the speeds they advertise.

If that's not an option then I'm sure the folks on this site can help you out. They'll ask for you to post stats on here to help them do that, so take a look at some of the other threads and post those stats to get the ball rolling.

Good luck

Still NO solution from Sky! Still not fixed!

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pebbleheed View Post
      Yes. Leave Sky and head to someone like VM who seem to be able to offer closer to the speeds they advertise.
      Oh yes, really helpful

If that's not an option then I'm sure the folks on this site can help you out. They'll ask for you to post stats on here to help them do that
      Maybe but probably not necessary - yet. The problem is almost certainly wireless interference. A wired comparison would confirm this. If that's what it is (and wired isn't an option) then experimenting with different wireless channels and possibly router orientation will probably bring benefits. If the interference can't be got round then it may be time to invest in a homeplug solution.

pebbleheed is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: 3 for 26
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saturday View Post
      Oh yes, really helpful
      Surely nothing wrong with a bit of humour based on fact?

Quote Originally Posted by Saturday View Post
      Maybe but probably not necessary - yet. The problem is almost certainly wireless interference. A wired comparison would confirm this. If that's what it is (and wired isn't an option) then experimenting with different wireless channels and possibly router orientation will probably bring benefits. If the interference can't be got round then it may be time to invest in a homeplug solution.
      I'm not so sure. It's obviously worth ruling out with Vistumbler and remember the rules about channels 1, 6 and 11 being the only non-overlapping channels on a G and B setup, but I'm not so sure it would be a wireless problem. It may also be worth looking at interference causing objects too, but again I'm not yet convinced.

I've had similar problems on Sky that wasn't down to wireless issues, it was just down to the poor speed, getting under 2Mb on an 8Mb line. It used to be faster for me when I first started, but then got slower over time.

VM solves the problem though, it's much faster and gives closer to the advertised speed than Sky does (and in some situations it's cheaper too!)

Still NO solution from Sky! Still not fixed!

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

remember the rules about channels 1, 6 and 11 being the only non-overlapping channels on a G and B setup
      Remember what? Those are not non-overlapping in the UK. You're quoting 802.11b and 802.11g non overlapping channels used in the US whereas we're in Europe. Here we use channels 1 to 13 (US is 1 to 11) and actually the channels that don't overlap in the Sky router, are therefore 1, 7 and 13.

In any case, interference doesn't only come from overlapping channels.

I'm happy to accept that it's not a wireless problem but only when that's ruled out. Until then it's the most likely cause.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

@Pebblehead
      As you think so much of Virgin, maybe your expertise could be put to better use over here-
      Virgin Broadband Problems

or here-
      Chetnet Unofficial NTLworld Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Or are you on commission from VM for poaching members from here.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Right, I've now just 'hard wired' a connection,and it acts exactly the same, so I guess I can rule out wireless interference...

What can I do now? Please don't ask to to call Sky 'support', life really is too short and in 14 years with sky, they've never one sorted out a problem for me

stephen

Dan223 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: South Benfleet
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Thanks

Virgin is not the way to go, although the can normally offer the speeds they advertise, as soon as you watch about 2 bbc iplayer episodes you have gone over your limit and are traffic managed meaning you get a much lower speed than you are paying for. I had a terrible experience with VM, not having the internet for months along with other VM customers down my street, being put off and worst of all lied to by lots of VM staff. Hense my move to sky.

It does sound like it could be a wireless issue, post your router stats. Try using wired and see if this problem goes away, if so then its a wireless issue and could be interference or you are located to far away/to many obstructions from your router.

I good place to start is to try to use a different wireless channel which can be changed in your router panel http://192.168.0.1 user admin, pass sky

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Post your stats from your normal position and from the Test socket for comparison. Use the link at the bottom of Saturday's post for more information.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi,

the following is the stats - mean nothing to me (!), can anyone give me a diagnosis from them?

ROUTER STATISTICS

System Up Time: 70:21:08
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 62685 58403 0 24 282 70:12:07
      LAN 100M/Full 14279 4814 0 32 1 70:21:04
      WLAN 11M/54M 62358 59361 0 265 23 70:20:51
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 160 kbps 384 kbps
      Line Attenuation 47 db 13.5 db
      Noise Margin 15 db 13 db

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast