Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

ftp login error

This is a discussion on ftp login error within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I'm preparing to update a website, developed by someone else. He's given me a new userid & password for the ...

rawmichael is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01628
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

ftp login error

I'm preparing to update a website, developed by someone else. He's given me a new userid & password for the site, but I can't get in on my m/c, via sky broadband - rejects userid/password combination. I've tried entering via Windows Explorer using ftp:// etc, and 'testing' an account within Serif's WebPlus. The developer has tried the same combination on his m/c & it's fine. He's even given me his own id, and another of his sites to try, all with the same result. I've checked & double checked my inputs and am as sure as I can be that there are no typos.
      I've read that there are sometimes problems with ISPs blocking ports (default 21 for ftp I gather). Does anyone out there have any suggestions? Thanks in anticipation!

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: ftp login error

It is nothing to do with blocking ports. To access FTP, its outgoing from your machine, so that would pretty much rule out your router needing any ports open either.

I can connect fine on FTP using my Sky connection, on multiple sites. Try copying and pasting the username if he sends it to you.

The other possible reason is that where the FTP is hosted is blocking you.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

pebbleheed is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: 3 for 26
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      It is nothing to do with blocking ports. To access FTP, its outgoing from your machine, so that would pretty much rule out your router needing any ports open either.
      While it's unlikely, it is possible to have a router blocking FTP traffic. Although the connection is created and used by the computer it still has to pass through the router to get to the internet and it's possible to block both outgoing and incoming ports on many routers.

Very unlikely, but still possible.

Still NO solution from Sky! Still not fixed!

pebbleheed is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: 3 for 26
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

OP,

Could you post the error message on this thread please?
      (obviously be careful to censor any passwords and partially censor any IPs etc. for security reasons)

Once we see the error message it should give more of an idea as to whether the connection is being made or not and put us in a better position to aid your connection.

It may be the case that you are getting connected to the FTP server but there's an error with your username and password entry or it may even be further security that's not configured to allow a connection from your internet connection. There are other issues too, but an error message would help rule these out.

If you are actually getting connected to the server but the username and password combination are being rejected then it doesn't sound like the FTP ports are blocked.

I'm sure you're aware, but it's worth mentioning anyway, a common problem for FTP connections is CaSe SeNsItIvItY. Typing in a password of password isn't the same as typing in a password of PASSWORD. It's also worth considering if the developers used a mix of characters instead of all being letters. Such as password and passw0rd or pa55w0rd. Obviously copy and pasting it would have ruled this out, but I thought I'd cover it just in case.

Still NO solution from Sky! Still not fixed!

rawmichael is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01628
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Thanks to Pebbleheed & NewsReadeR for prompt replies.

Win.Ex message in 'Log on as' window is 'Could not login to the FTP server with username & password specified', so I guess I'm getting as far as the server.

WebPlus Account test facility quotes FTP server responses as:
      220 FTP Server ready
      331 Password required for xxxxxx
      530 Login incorrect.

Making it pretty clear, aren't they!
      I will get the guy to e-mail me the details so I can paste them (he's slow, so it may take a while!); also I'm going to try it on another machine/router/ISP, just out of interest.

Thanks again.