Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Changing BT Phone Number on Existing Sky BB Line

This is a discussion on Changing BT Phone Number on Existing Sky BB Line within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Because I've been getting "malicious" sales calls since last November, I spoke to BT and their advice is to change ...

tobiasdroberts is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Changing BT Phone Number on Existing Sky BB Line

Because I've been getting "malicious" sales calls since last November, I spoke to BT and their advice is to change my number. I am existing Sky BB Max user and want to know if I do so, will I get an interruption to my BB service and also what do I need to inform Sky about and to whom.

I rang the Sky tech support line today but the guy didn't seem to know and gave me a very unconvincing "everything will be OK". Not blaming the tech support guy but does anyone know for sure?

Thanks.

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: Changing BT Phone Number on Existing Sky BB Line

Sky will have to cancel your existing service - taking about a week - and re-order on the new number once it shows live on BT systems - taking about another 10 days/2 weeks...

not a quick solution im afraid
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thank you - I had a feeling that it was not a simple matter. Best I go India with a shotgun and "alleviate" myself of these cold calling idiots!

kipper is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0191
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tobiasdroberts View Post
      Because I've been getting "malicious" sales calls since last November, I spoke to BT and their advice is to change my number. I am existing Sky BB Max user and want to know if I do so, will I get an interruption to my BB service and also what do I need to inform Sky about and to whom.

I rang the Sky tech support line today but the guy didn't seem to know and gave me a very unconvincing "everything will be OK". Not blaming the tech support guy but does anyone know for sure?

Thanks.
      Could I suggest another alternative? Why not register with the TPS to stop these calls? It takes a little while to kick in, but saves changing your number. Then just mention them if you get a call, they cant hangup quick enough! If you PM me I can give you address/phone number.

googleme is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

You can do it on line also. TPS Registration

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

It's a good thing but unfortunately it does not stop 'We are doing a survey' calls, which are just trying to sell you a new kitchen, double glazing or other thing you don't want. Now and again, when I have time, I do their 'survey' and inform them that I am a millionaire and live in a castle and would like 10 of it's kitchens remodelled. Needless to say they take the hint and hang up.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

googleme is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

I just say I shall pass you to the person who make all the choices in the house, and pass the phone to my young daughter who just shouts Hello down the phone and asks what they are doing. Bless her she only 4

kipper is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0191
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      It's a good thing but unfortunately it does not stop 'We are doing a survey' calls, which are just trying to sell you a new kitchen, double glazing or other thing you don't want. Now and again, when I have time, I do their 'survey' and inform them that I am a millionaire and live in a castle and would like 10 of it's kitchens remodelled. Needless to say they take the hint and hang up.
      Hi again,
      isitme, it should stop all calls, I have been registered for years now and very rarely get any calls of any type, the odd one I do get, as I said, cant get off the line quick enough if you mention you are registered with the TPS.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I have also been registered for many years and although I don't get straight forward sales calls, TPS does not stop the 'market survey' type. They always start by saying they are not trying to sell anything but invariably finish with a 'special offer'

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks all for your responses. Unfortunately I've been registered with TPS for years, and yes it has stopped the calls I used to get from UK based callers, TPS is about as much use as a chocolate teapot when the call originate from abroad.

The calls I have been getting come up on caller display as "International Unknown" or "International Unavailable" and for the past year I've either been really polite (mentioning the TPS) or just down right rude to them to get them to stop but to no avail. I can get three calls a day from these "companies", so you can appreciate the frustration. I am sure they just keep selling my number on.

Anyway apologies for the rant but to me I feel this thread does so highlight a flaw in the BB system as a whole in that if someone (through no fault of their own) needs to change there number then this should be seemless in relation to continuity of BB service. Just my $0.02s.

Thanks again all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast