Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Blonde user needs help I've lost my internet connection

This is a discussion on Blonde user needs help I've lost my internet connection within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I am a SKY basic Broadband user. I had a good connection up till Saturday and then found I had ...

ValerieB is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01628
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Blonde user needs help I've lost my internet connection

I am a SKY basic Broadband user. I had a good connection up till Saturday and then found I had no connection although the Sky router has power but all I get is the SKY Broadband error page.
      The green lights are on on the router except for the @ one showing no internet connection. I've pressed the reset button on the router and reinserted the SKY disc and run through setup again but this made no difference.
      Our home phone line is very crackly (outside box was replaced recently due to water damage).
      Can anyone suggest how I can find out (in non-techie terms please) if my router settings are OK or other remedies.
      I don't know my router logon or password - would this be something I have to ask SKY to provide or is there a default setting.
      I am loathe to phone SKY as I'm not keen to spend ages running through techie diagnostics etc.
      Previously I've asked my neighbour (who works at Microsoft) to help but he moved to the US 3 weeks ago!!!
      PLEASE HELP!

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: Blonde user needs help I've lost my internet connection

no point logging into the router as such as it's a connection issue as opposed to a router one...although, for reference, go to 192.168.0.1 and enter admin as the username and sky as the password...

how are you set up? are you running off your master socket? do you have a test socket you can try? you mention noise - is the noise present if the router is removed?
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

ValerieB is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01628
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

I'm not using my master socket. I will try and see if the noise goes away if I remove the router tonight. I have another socket I can try so once my daughter is in bed tonight I'll have a go! I'll print this page to take home! Many thanks and I'll let you know how I get on tomorrow.

astra is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYELL
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

ring BT 151 tell them you have a crackling noisy line they will do a line test and tell you if its your equipment or there fault
      don't mention your internet broadband connection or they will just ask you to ring your isp(sky)

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Log into the router as per post #2 and press the 'Sky Test' button. Make a note of the error number and report this when you ring Sky. If you have a Master socket like this - Sky User - The unofficial support forum for everything Sky! How to test your Master Socket plug into the Test socket and see if it connects from there. If it does, your extension is the problem.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

blondejon is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Exeter Castle Street
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

id like to point out that being blonde doesn't stop you from knowing how to diagnose a broadband fault..id be unemployed if it did

Try these checks

1 - The router/modem is connected to the Master BT socket, not with an extension cable or in a subsidiary socket.

2 - The microfilter that the router/modem connects to has been replaced for an alternative to prove microfilter not faulty.

3 - The Voice service is working correctly and there are no telephony devices on this telephone number that AREN'T voice telephones, e.g. fax, PDQ, SkyBox, Alarm system, CallerID unit, analog modem, Credit Card machine etc...

And also that all devices on the line are correctly filtered.

4 - Power cycle the router

It sounds like a voice affecting line fault so i agree with astra, phone BT and report the fault

googleme is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Thanks

^^^^ Need to ascertain 1st whether the noise is generated by external on internal sources yet.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

^^^^^^^^^^
      Agree, reporting faults which prove to be on your side of the Test socket can be very expensive.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

blondejon is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Exeter Castle Street
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

thats only if it comes down to a visit... firstly they will run a test on the line.

To be 100% sure disconnect everything from the line with the exception of a handset plugged straight into the NTE5 and see if the noise is still present. Call another line or mobile to test if you arent sure if there is still noise present.

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

If you suspect or know that you have excessive noise on your phone line do the following.

(1) Remove the faceplate from your master socket to expose the test socket. If you do not have a test socket then disconnect all phones etc you may have pluged in.

(2) If you have a test socket, check that all other sockets are dead (no dial tone) when the test socket is exposed.

(3) connect a normal wired phone to the test socket and dial a single digit to kill the dial tone and listern, you should hear nothing more than a low hiss.
      If you hear lots of crackel, then check again with another phone if the problem persists report this to whoever you pay your line rental to.

(4) If the line is o.k at the test socket, but there is a problem at your extensions then the problem is in your internal wiring and your responsiblity

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast