Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Connect. Beyond funny

This is a discussion on Connect. Beyond funny within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; been connected just two weeks now. So far had 3 days at 4.5mb 8 days at 1-1.5mb the rest at ...

coreservers is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dalkeith
      Broadband ISP: IDnet
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Connect. Beyond funny

been connected just two weeks now. So far had 3 days at 4.5mb 8 days at 1-1.5mb the rest at somewhere around 300-750k. tried calling the sky techincal (and I use hte term loosely) support, tried the test socket, tried rebooting the router. it works for a day or so. Techical support tell me it's me pc. I tell them not as I get a very good signal both wored and wireless to the pc it's beoynd the router. I also tell them I'm not paying for this service until it's sorted.
      Tonight i get a supervisor, who tells me there's no record of my previous calls. This is worse than BT's indian call centre for quality of service. All I want is a reliable service. BTopenworld I only get a transfer rate of 28k on the small 5mb download

Here's the router stats. It is in the master test socket.

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 3976 5073 0 1152 6814 00:13:47
      LAN 100M/Full 5439 4280 0 6488 1186 00:15:18
      WLAN 11M/54M 91 0 0 19 0 00:15:05
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 7936 kbps 448 kbps
      Line Attenuation 42 db 11 db
      Noise Margin 2 db 25 db

2. Advertisement
      dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Connect. Beyond funny

You have a rather low noise margin, which the V1 router doesnt like, especially with the original firmware. Check the cabling / faceplate section. Stats from the test socket and where you are plugged in now for comparison would be useful. You also hint at using wireless, if so try experimenting with different channels, as signal strength has no bearing on signal integrity - the channel you are using may be suffering from interference.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,589 Posts

It makes it easier for members to follow your case if you stick to one thread with your problems. What was the result of the Official BT Performance Test? This is the only thing that will help with your problem. BT do not give a damn about Sky customers, so using that as evidence is the only way you will move forward.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

coreservers is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dalkeith
      Broadband ISP: IDnet
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I cannot get to the official bt speedtester even with the mac lan. it gives an error. not the busy one, but one stating the account does not match bt details. So Im trying to see what and where this is falling down, sky's technical support have little or no techincal ability it seems. and the stats given are from the test socket.
      I'm also not using wireless purely wired via cat 5e.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

mate, not being funny but the constant bashing of tech is going to do you no favours with people like me who work for Sky...

just cause tier 1 aren't much help, you should already know CST is where you have to be...

now, the username on the BT speedtester site needs to be upper case for Netgear routers and lower case for Sagems (from testing I've done the last few days)...it does work as I've had my own one just complete...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,589 Posts

I think I suggested in another thread that the best way is to use James' Password Generator and copy and paste the name from there. This removes any chance of making an error. If you copy and paste the LAN MAC address from the router status page to the generator page, there is even less room for error.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

apart from the BT site actually crashing constantly at the mo (in IE7, FF3 & Chrome)

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

pebbleheed is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: 3 for 26
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by coreservers View Post
      been connected just two weeks now. So far had 3 days at 4.5mb 8 days at 1-1.5mb the rest at somewhere around 300-750k. tried calling the sky techincal (and I use hte term loosely) support, tried the test socket, tried rebooting the router. it works for a day or so. Techical support tell me it's me pc. I tell them not as I get a very good signal both wored and wireless to the pc it's beoynd the router. I also tell them I'm not paying for this service until it's sorted.
      I had the same issues with their staff. I was told that problems with my connection were down to my hardware. They insisted that the PS3, 2 different laptops, 1 Wii and a media device were all faulty and that it wasn't their router or connection. They seemed unable to understand that chances of 5 different networked devices developing the same fault at the same time rather than their kit being in the wrong. I got the usual script rubbish every time I called and found it more use to talk to my cat about the problem. She too didn't understand anything about the problem, but at least she didn't leave me feeling angry and dealt with me in a nice way.

When you do get through to the actual techies they are helpful. I had someone called Paul who was very helpful. Even he was frustrated by the fact that my tickets kept getting closed. It seems from your post that sadly the same problems still exist at Sky support.

If you actually make it to the techie lot then you have a much better chance of getting sorted. Good luck though, the first lot of staff that answer the phones will try to stop you at all costs.

Tonight i get a supervisor, who tells me there's no record of my previous calls.
      Yep, I know that feeling too. Why can't Sky get a handle of this? Start firing those that are dragging this service down and start employing someone who can actually do the job?
      This is worse than BT's indian call centre for quality of service.
      I've had very little experience of any other call centre that comes close to being as bad as Sky's first level of support.

Still NO solution from Sky! Still not fixed!

pebbleheed is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: 3 for 26
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy View Post
      mate, not being funny but the constant bashing of tech is going to do you no favours with people like me who work for Sky...

just cause tier 1 aren't much help, you should already know CST is where you have to be...
      I can appreciate the OP's post though. It's stupidly frustrating to constantly have to deal with those people that answer the phone every time when you have a problem.

If you could go straight through to the real techies then I'm sure there'd be less frustration, but as it is you get ambushed by the muppet show whenever you ring up and getting through to techies can take weeks and many calls before you're finally escalated.

I think the OP is well within his / her right to have a 'bash' at the first layer of support as I can imagine the frustration at paying for a poor service and getting nothing when calling for help.

Still NO solution from Sky! Still not fixed!

Thanks

^ i agree, but they're don't aim it at tier 1 - they're aiming it Sky tech in general, so of course I'm gonna take offence!!

there are some definite issue at the mo with Connect, and at present we have no idea as to why it's happening other than it must be BT implementing hardcore throttling...can't see why, though...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast