Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Connect. Beyond funny

This is a discussion on Connect. Beyond funny within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by pebbleheed I can appreciate the OP 's post though. It's stupidly frustrating to constantly have to deal ...

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Connect. Beyond funny

Quote Originally Posted by pebbleheed View Post
      I can appreciate the OP's post though. It's stupidly frustrating to constantly have to deal with those people that answer the phone every time when you have a problem.
      By those people I take it you mean the tier 1 staff who are there to do a job and only follow guidance and instruction as laid out by Sky?
      If you could go straight through to the real techies then I'm sure there'd be less frustration, but as it is you get ambushed by the muppet show whenever you ring up
      Jim Henson has no role in tier 1 so if nothing else please be civil
      and getting through to techies can take weeks and many calls before you're finally escalated.
      Connect calls cannot be escalated within the first 10 days of connection by Skys own demands, some of do ignore this on occassion if we can see that there is a definate issue that requires immediate action. We do so at risk of incurring the wrath of Sky management, QA and our immediate team leaders though and can be penalised for it.
      I think the OP is well within his / her right to have a 'bash' at the first layer of support as I can imagine the frustration at paying for a poor service and getting nothing when calling for help.
      No the OP has every right to bash Sky management as it is Sky that sets the rules and guidelines, the Tier 1 and CST support staff are just following their rules and are trying to do the job to the best of their ability. Why shoot the messenger? Why not complain in writing to Sky asking them why they have so little "Connect" training and why they shackle their Tier 1 staff so badly instead of mouthing off about stuff you do not know the full facts on?

2. Advertisement
      pebbleheed is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: 3 for 26
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy View Post
      ^ i agree, but they're don't aim it at tier 1 - they're aiming it Sky tech in general, so of course I'm gonna take offence!!

there are some definite issue at the mo with Connect, and at present we have no idea as to why it's happening other than it must be BT implementing hardcore throttling...can't see why, though...
      For a lot of people 'tier 1' will be as far as they get. They genuinely appear to stop people getting through to the techies, like it's an aim to do so. So it may be that people assume the first lot are Sky support.

Still NO solution from Sky! Still not fixed!

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSky View Post
      By those people I take it you mean the tier 1 staff who are there to do a job and only follow guidance and instruction as laid out by Sky?
      Yes. Regardless to being there just to do a job as you state, would it hurt to add some courtesy and professionalism? That's something that's down to the individual surely, unless Sky tell them not to which I'd be very suprised at.

Jim Henson has no role in tier 1 so if nothing else please be civil
      It genuinely feels like a comedy sketch because it's so bad that you couldn't make it up. I clearly wasn't suggesting that the initial support was run by Jim Henson and a load of puppets, but to be honest would it be any worse if it was? (I appreciate that Jim Henson is dead, so a suitable replacement would need to be found).

Connect calls cannot be escalated within the first 10 days of connection by Skys own demands, some of do ignore this on occassion if we can see that there is a definate issue that requires immediate action. We do so at risk of incurring the wrath of Sky management, QA and our immediate team leaders though and can be penalised for it.

No the OP has every right to bash Sky management as it is Sky that sets the rules and guidelines, the Tier 1 and CST support staff are just following their rules and are trying to do the job to the best of their ability. Why shoot the messenger?
      It may be that part of the blame lies with Sky management, however that does not give reason for the attitude and lack of listening ability by the staff on the initial contact.

It would also be worth the staff making customers aware of that policy so they could direct their attention appropriately. As it is, policy that you speak of here is not explained to customers when they are upset or have a problem with how they are being treated and that can only be classed as poor communication on the staff member's part.

Why not complain in writing to Sky asking them why they have so little "Connect" training and why they shackle their Tier 1 staff so badly instead of mouthing off about stuff you do not know the full facts on?
      HA! I've already written elsewhere on this forum about the fact that Sky has ignored my previous complaints and didn't even grace me with a reply, I'm not about to waste further time contacting them to do the same again when it's clearly not acted on.

As for knowing the full facts, I am well aware of the fact that when I have spoken to these staff I have considered the way that they treat me to fall short of what I would expect from a customer service user point of view. That's not down to management, unless they insist that staff don't listen properly and don't take the time to properly talk to you?

It seems a very odd situation that I have to come on to a 3rd party website to get answers from Sky staff about Sky's policy rather than being informed by staff in a professional capacity on the phone line itself.

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

For a lot of people 'tier 1' will be as far as they get. They genuinely appear to stop people getting through to the techies, like it's an aim to do so. So it may be that people assume the first lot are Sky support.
      Like it or not, Teir 1 do a very good job. There must be loads of people who ring in, with filter problems, router not plugged in, cables not connected etc, and Teir 1 with their scripts can fix these. I understand that if you know your stuff this can be a bore to go through, but I have found them very plesent if you just go with the flow untill you get through to CST

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brian69 View Post
      Like it or not, Teir 1 do a very good job. There must be loads of people who ring in, with filter problems, router not plugged in, cables not connected etc, and Teir 1 with their scripts can fix these. I understand that if you know your stuff this can be a bore to go through, but I have found them very plesent if you just go with the flow untill you get through to CST
      That's a fair point, however their one fix fits all approach and unwillingness to even consider talking to you in any other manner is their downfall. A little more customer focus, friendly conversation and more open minded initiative would seriously improve their service.

When I used to run an IT department I remember changing the way it worked slightly. We had staff that had knowledge of different areas and it was the case that only certain people could advise or help with certain areas of problems. I had a knowledgebase set up for staff to use, it contained all the common problems and solutions. It was staff searchable and very easy and quick to use. Over time more and more was added to this knowledgebase and before long all IT staff were able to help with all problems and this improved our service to our customers very noticeably. There were still some problems that couldn't be solved by this method, but they were more and more rare and were always able to be looked at by someone in the know in a short time because the rest of the staff could do all jobs and it freed the required person up when needed. It wasn't hard setting this up, but it certainly achieved the goal.

I'm not sure why someone at Sky can't think outside the box.
      Last edited by pebbleheed; 08-10-08 at 09:31 PM.

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

That's a fair point, however their one fix fits all approach and unwillingness to even consider talking to you in any other manner is their downfall. A little more customer focus, friendly conversation and more open minded initiative would seriously improve their service.

When I used to run an IT department I remember changing the way it worked slightly. We had staff that had knowledge of different areas and it was the case that only certain people could advise or help with certain areas of problems. I had a knowledgebase set up for staff to use, it contained all the common problems and solutions. It was staff searchable and very easy and quick to use. Over time more and more was added to this knowledgebase and before long all IT staff were able to help with all problems and this improved our service to our customers very noticeably. There were still some problems that couldn't be solved by this method, but they were more and more rare and were always able to be looked at by someone in the know in a short time because the rest of the staff could do all jobs and it freed the required person up when needed. It wasn't hard setting this up, but it certainly achieved the goal.

I'm not sure why someone at Sky can't think outside the box.
      So is your real problem with Sky that they will not run their customer support the way you think it should be run, rather than the support itself?
      When I first had Sky, I had a duff router, It had a broken RJ11 socket which I replaced, but in the mean time I had reported this to Sky, and had my line capped (this was part of the process of trying to get the router to sync) So I phoned them back, and because I had "gone outside the box" It took quite a while to sort this out.
      This was not Sky's fault, there customer support had ordered a replacement router which would have fixed the problem. There customer support is set up to deal with anyone, not people who are IT savvie.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

So is your real problem with Sky that they will not run their customer support the way you think it should be run, rather than the support itself?
      No, not at all and I've not said that either. I think you should perhaps re-read the thread.

I made a point about how I improved a support service and suggested it wasn't hard, however my gripe with Sky support was clear as are other users' gripes and it's not a case of wanting them to run it how I want, it's a case of wanting decent service from what I consider to be a lacking service in my experience.

When I first had Sky, I had a duff router, It had a broken RJ11 socket which I replaced, but in the mean time I had reported this to Sky, and had my line capped (this was part of the process of trying to get the router to sync) So I phoned them back, and because I had "gone outside the box" It took quite a while to sort this out.
      This was not Sky's fault, there customer support had ordered a replacement router which would have fixed the problem. There customer support is set up to deal with anyone, not people who are IT savvie.
      If it's set up to deal with anyone then surely that should include the IT savvy people too and if good customer service was available they should be able to interact with a customer, find their problem and needs and look to create a solution as required. That's basic customer service and it seems that they are unable to do that at present.

krysis is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: BT
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

I have noticed a lot of problems recently with the connect package. Seems a lot of newer customers aren't being put through their 10 day training period properly. Basically this means the line can't stablize.

If your SNR is so low constantly it can be logged as a fault and to see if BT can do something to raise the SNR.. If they can't then and engineer may need to take a visit somewhere for faulty cabling.

On a side note:

I get quite a lot of IT savvy people come through to me all the time and to be quite honest but not cause any offence, it is a real pain in the **** most of the time. The cockyness of some people, who try and tell me how to do my job is rather annoying, especially when I can't get a word in because they are flapping about what they think or supposidly know what the problem is.

It's off putting to be honest and quite frustrating especially if they don't listen to what I say because they think they are right.

Just my 2 pence.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12