Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wireless Connection Problem

This is a discussion on Wireless Connection Problem within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I have a Netgear DG834GT router which is presently connected via an ethernet cable to my desktop computer, with a ...

skydance is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01255
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: F@ST2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Wireless Connection Problem

I have a Netgear DG834GT router which is presently connected via an ethernet cable to my desktop computer, with a good connection speed and stability.

I am now trying to add a laptop with a wireless built in receiver. I have configured the router to wireless, and the laptop recognises the network signal being transmitted from the router. However when I select this to connect to, the laptop then requests a WEP password. I have set one up in the router, clicked 'generate' and then 'apply'.

The laptop does not respond to this when entered, and tells me I'm entering a duff password, any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Many thanks

2. Advertisement
      steesh2302 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0191
      Broadband ISP: VM 10Meg
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: VM V+ HD
      Thanks

Cool Re: Wireless Connection Problem

When you say set password, do you mean that you have changed the admin one?
      When setting up wireless, you need to enter the security encrytption network key

pebbleheed is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: 3 for 26
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Wireless Connection Problem

Best way to check where the problem lies is to first of all disable all security on the wireless network for a few minutes. While it's off, try connecting the laptop. If it connects then you know it's certainly a security issue and you can concentrate on resolving that.

The reason I suggest this is because I know of problems on Sky routers, both old and new Netgear designs with Sky's own frankenstein firmware, so it's worth making sure it's a security issue only and not a problem with the router.

Also, are you able to use WPA instead of WEP? The reason I ask is because WEP is very poor and can be cracked in a very short amount of time. WPA with a decent key is much harder to break and will provide much better security for you.

Still NO solution from Sky! Still not fixed!

Thanks

I have not changed the 'admin' password. My laptop asks;

'The airport network xxxxxx requires a password. Please enter the type of wireless security and the network password.'

In the Router set - up under "WEP Security encryption' I have entered a passphrase and then clicked generate, and then apply.

Back to the laptop, I have entered both this (failed) and then tried again with 'admin' - still to no avail.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skydance View Post
      I have not changed the 'admin' password. My laptop asks;

'The airport network xxxxxx requires a password. Please enter the type of wireless security and the network password.'

In the Router set - up under "WEP Security encryption' I have entered a passphrase and then clicked generate, and then apply.

Back to the laptop, I have entered both this (failed) and then tried again with 'admin' - still to no avail.
      Are you able to try without security enabled for a short test?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pebbleheed View Post
      Best way to check where the problem lies is to first of all disable all security on the wireless network for a few minutes. While it's off, try connecting the laptop. If it connects then you know it's certainly a security issue and you can concentrate on resolving that.
      Just tried and the laptop keeps asking again for the WEP password. I can only select WEP with 3 options

1) Password
      2) 40/128 but hex
      3) 40/128-bit ASC11

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I am just wondering, have you changed the SSID to Airport? This is an Apple term, are you trying to connect to the wrong router?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

If the security is turned off on the router then you shouldn't need a password to connect to it.

Make sure that you're connecting to your own network and not a neighbours and also make sure that you don't have anything configured on your computer to require a password such as a tick box saying that the connection requires WEP.

If you remove wireless security it should connect without issue to rule the problem out.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pebbleheed View Post
      Are you able to try without security enabled for a short test?
      If I have security disabled and change the 'Wireless network mode' in the router to 'G' only I get a rapid connection!

However if I then go back to Enabling the dreaded 'WEP' for security I get the eternal laptop request for the network password again. Is this of any help? As you suggested it now appears to be a security issue, rather than a router problem. However I'm a bit nervous operating without any security and would rather upgrade the router if this can give me the WPA option, do you know if this can be accessed by the DG834G router via the net?

Many thanks by the way for your help so far, I keep persevering and consuming gallons of coffee in between!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      I am just wondering, have you changed the SSID to Airport? This is an Apple term, are you trying to connect to the wrong router?
      Hi Tom,

No I have not changed the routers Network ID at all as the laptop receives the signal strongly

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast