Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Wireless Connection Problem

This is a discussion on Wireless Connection Problem within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by skydance If I have security disabled and change the 'Wireless network mode' in the router to 'G' ...

pebbleheed is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: 3 for 26
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:

Re: Wireless Connection Problem

Quote Originally Posted by skydance View Post
      If I have security disabled and change the 'Wireless network mode' in the router to 'G' only I get a rapid connection!

However if I then go back to Enabling the dreaded 'WEP' for security I get the eternal laptop request for the network password again. Is this of any help? As you suggested it now appears to be a security issue, rather than a router problem.
      Yep, we've now ruled out that it's a security issue rather than a router one. One step closer
      However I'm a bit nervous operating without any security
      I would certainly advise you enable security again, it was just a test to disable it for a short period.
      and would rather upgrade the router if this can give me the WPA option, do you know if this can be accessed by the DG834G router via the net?
      The router should already support WEP and WPA, there shouldn't be an upgrade required. The option to use WPA will already be on your router's admin menu.

Many thanks by the way for your help so far, I keep persevering and consuming gallons of coffee in between!
      Glad to have been of help. I'm not going to be online tonight, so I'll check back tomorrow and see how far you've got.

Still NO solution from Sky! Still not fixed!

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Central Scotland
      Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,586 Posts

Re: Wireless Connection Problem

What OS are you running? XP requires at least Sp2 for the full wireless protocols to support WPA. Win 2000 does not natively support WPA and requires a 3rd party supplicant.

The airport network xxxxxx requires a password. Please enter the type of wireless security and the network password.
      I am still confused by why you got this message. It should have been something like 'SKY71055' requires a password. If you don't get the option to enable WPA-pre-shared key, usually in a drop-down box and you have XP Sp2 or better, then it is possible you need to update the software for your wireless adapter. If you are using the default WPA key, remember it is 8 capital letters, no numbers.

This tutorial- Sky User - The unofficial support forum for everything Sky! How-to Configure your Routers Wireless Settings is useful for setting up your router security. If you still can't get it to connect, use the Wireless Access List, described near the end of the tutorial. Here is a Video tutorial by Chris Hall of PCA, which you might also find useful -
      Setup a WiFi Network | PCAnswers

Please don't tell me you have a Mac laptop?

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12