Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Internet Problem

This is a discussion on Internet Problem within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; hi, i've recently been having problems with my sky internet i've got the first netgear router. the problem is that ...

h901 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Internet Problem

hi,

i've recently been having problems with my sky internet

i've got the first netgear router.

the problem is that i lose internet connection.
      i also lose connection to my laptop connected by wireless and my ps3 which is connected by wire.

also on my laptop it fully loses the connection to the router

after about 2-3 minutes the connection comes back.

thanks

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Internet Problem

Post your stats from your normal position and from the Test socket, for a diagnosis.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

pebbleheed is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: 3 for 26
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi,

If you look at some of my previous posts from the past you'll see I had a pretty similar problem. Yours may not necessarily be the same problem, but the initial post sounds similar to that of my own a while back.

The first problem was the internet dropping. That for me was a problem at the exchange and after spending a good while trying to persuade Sky to look in to it at their side instead of insulting me at my side they finally found it was at their side and got it resolved. However it may be that there are issues with your internals as I am sure you'll go through over the next few days.

The wireless issue however sounds a little too familiar. The Sky routers appear to have an issue with wireless connectivity. I have tested this on both the old and new Netgear routers. I put this down to the fact that although these are Netgear routers, Sky have altered the firmware to their own frankenstein version and it doesn't appear to work as well. The routers appear to be slower, more likely to freeze and the wireless network can have issues. If you look at my signature, the problem that's been going on for months is the Sky hardware issue and there's still no fix!

I had to sort out a temporary fix for myself. I turned the wireless off on my router and connected a wireless access point to it. Now the wireless network works perfectly because it's not being handled by the router. This works with my PS3, 2 x laptops, a wii and a media device. If I switch back to the Sky router, with the same settings, the network fails for all the devices connected wirelessly at random intervals.

You could of course rule out interference from nearby networks by using Vistumbler to scan and see what's close, if anything. And as a tip, the channels 3, 6 and 11 are the 3 truely unique channels on G and B wireless networks. Other channels have an overlap, so you may experience interference of some kind (if you're using wireless A networks then there are 8 non-overlapping channels, however as you're force to use Sky's poor hardware you'll not be using this ).

Good luck!

Still NO solution from Sky! Still not fixed!

h901 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

thanks for that
      seems like the problem i have is similar to yours
      i'll call up sky to see if there's a problem on their side

thanks

pebbleheed is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: 3 for 26
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by h901 View Post
      thanks for that
      seems like the problem i have is similar to yours
      i'll call up sky to see if there's a problem on their side

thanks
      If it is make sure you post back and I'll let you know how to create a signature like mine to track the time scale involved

Still NO solution from Sky! Still not fixed!

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

I wouldn't bother with sky yet, post your router stats and lets see if they reveal a problem your end first.

It would be best if you did this from the current router position and also from the test socket (remove the lower half of the master socket to reveal it) assuming you have the right type of socket.