Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

4992 kbps down speed, but 25kbps max down

This is a discussion on 4992 kbps down speed, but 25kbps max down within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Well id thought id try a few more times, as i reinstaled internet explorer, this is what i got... on ...

joux2007 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: 4992 kbps down speed, but 25kbps max down

Well id thought id try a few more times, as i reinstaled internet explorer,
      this is what i got... on a few attempts

-----------------------
      1st Try

The speed test has completed on test server test.speedtester.bt.com for user ******* and you have downloaded a 1.7Mb file at a speed of

81 kilo bits per second (Kbps), your service bandwidth will have been quoted to you in kilo bits per second.

Your IP address is 90.216.25.126, your browser is reported as being Mozilla 5.0 and is running on Windows NT 6.0.

BT would regard the speed ranges shown below as normal service:

For 250kbps End Users speeds between 50 - 250kbps.
      For 500kbps End Users speeds between 100 - 500kbps.
      For 1000kbps End Users speeds between 200 - 1000kbps.
      For 2000kbps End Users speeds between 400 - 2000kbps.

You may now disconnect from the speed test account (click 'disconnect' in your internet connection window) and if you wish to regain normal access to the internet please re-connect to your ISP using your usual username and password.

Please note that test results may vary according to varying traffic in the network. If you continue to experience slower throughput when logged in to your ISP, this may be due to a slow internet site or high traffic levels beyond the BT Wholesale Network. Please report this situation to your ISP's helpdesk.

------------------------------
      2nd Try

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
      Your DSL connection rate: 4800 kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
      IP profile for your line is - 3500 kbps
      Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 17 kbps

This test was not conclusive and further testing is required.

Please wait whilst you are redirected to undertake a second test.

You now have two choices-

If you wish to carry out further tests and you are competent to make changes to your ADSL system configuration, then please click on 'Continue' button.

If not, please close the window using 'Exit' button and contact your ISP for further assistance with these results.

--------------------------
      last try

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
      Your DSL connection rate: 4800 kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
      IP profile for your line is - 3500 kbps
      Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 5 kbps

This test was not conclusive and further testing is required.

Please wait whilst you are redirected to undertake a second test.

You now have two choices-

If you wish to carry out further tests and you are competent to make changes to your ADSL system configuration, then please click on 'Continue' button.

If not, please close the window using 'Exit' button and contact your ISP for further assistance with these results.

on the 2nd and 3rd try, it asked me to put bt_test_user@skydsl and blank password, my router picked up an IP from it after going into my router and manualy putting it as my user name, but the site couldnt pick up a internet connection from it... so i never managed to do the second test.

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

your IP profile is correct for sync speed but throughput is (obviously) low...thing is, there's not a lot Sky can do other than log a fault to BT, who'll see the IP profile is correct and say no fault found...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I don't think that is quite correct, the throughput is far too low for the Profile, away below BT's 'normal service'. They can't just say there is no fault. There is a small chance that it is the router, but this can only be proved by using another router. Phoning Sky is the only option.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

joux2007 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Just reading through my old emails and thought i would update anyone regarding this issue. I took your advice 'isitme' on speaking to sky, after about 3 months, and sooooo many phone calls, they sent a BT engineer that blamed my microwave. After another 6-7 months, we waited for the sky package to run out and requested a MAC Code. and sky being sky, canceled broadband on our line instead (i never said the word cancel).

Anyway knowing i was going to have no broadband, and repeatedly asking for a MAC code which they couldnt generate as it was in a cancel state, they said i would have to wait it out.

On the 6th or 7th attempt of me calling them to try and get a MAC code, so i wouldnt be without broadband for 10 days, i asked them to re-activate the broadband. They did instantly.. Oh and once they did, i thought id ask for a MAC code, and within a minute, i re-activated the broadband and recieved a MAC Code, clever right? after speaking to 5+ people, you would think one of them would know that re-activating broadband would then allow them to generate a MAC code. Pathetic.
      /rant over

Anyway, on a very happy and high note..

I Chose Aquiss broadband, and i was active with them within 5-6 days if i remember right. I now get 7000+kbps downspeed ALL the time. and i now get a cool lil control panel to track problems( not that ive had one and probly never will with aquiss ) and uk based support.

So yeah, thought peeps would like to know how ****** off i am with sky.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Good to hear you are fixed up with a decent ISP. You will be relieved to hear that since you left Connect has got even worse, with severe throttling in place on most exchanges during the peak hours. On the bright side, Sky are now enabling many small exchanges which had only Connect, you might find that your exchange is or will be enabled. Sky LLU bears no resemblance to Connect.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12