Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

sky policy on bit torrent

This is a discussion on sky policy on bit torrent within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; This is just an enquiry really, but does sky have a similar policy on people using bit torrent web-sites, such ...

coreservers is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dalkeith
      Broadband ISP: IDnet
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

sky policy on bit torrent

This is just an enquiry really, but does sky have a similar policy on people using bit torrent web-sites, such as isohunt as BT, who will throttle connections seen to be using them.
      I personally do not use them for illiegal software, as I do not trust it to be spyeare, malware, trojan free, but do occasionally use it for patches for faster downloading, as these can be stuck on very busy mainstream servers.

Just wondering

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: sky policy on bit torrent

on LLU there is no throttling, although it always best to configure your client to use an encrypted connection...

very different on Connect though - as it's a BT service BT throttle P2P ports heavily during peak times to keep web browsing quick...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

coolchris is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Goldthorpe
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

According to their new terms and conditions, they do monitor your connections during peak times..ive noticed that my downloads have halved on certain sites such as Rapidshare. I have an account there and before about 2 weeks ago I was getting full download bandwidth..how I only get about half. I reckon their is definitely a traffic shaping routine in place. I have Max BTW.

ultraviolet is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: BT HomeHub 5
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Something funny is going on, Utorrent is really slow lately and killing my browser, add to that Rapidshare dying a death.

I reinstalled Vista and it's still the same, pages won't display properly for several seconds - only other thing I can think of is an MS update has screwed everything up, wouldn't be the first time.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by coolchris View Post
      According to their new terms and conditions, they do monitor your connections during peak times..ive noticed that my downloads have halved on certain sites such as Rapidshare. I have an account there and before about 2 weeks ago I was getting full download bandwidth..how I only get about half. I reckon their is definitely a traffic shaping routine in place. I have Max BTW.

If you take the time to read the T and C's - Sky traffic shape on Connect, Sky's Max is truly unlimited.

No speed caps on our network
      Offering truly unlimited broadband is not the only promise we’re making to our customers. We know that another thing you really care about is getting consistent, reliable download speeds. One of the biggest gripes with some broadband providers is the capping of speeds during peak times, otherwise known as traffic shaping.

At Sky Broadband, we have a high-capacity network that is designed to carry huge amounts of traffic without congestion. So our promise to customers taking our Base, Mid or Max products is that we won’t slow down connection speeds at peak times. So whether you want to download a movie at 7am or a music track at 7pm, you’ll still be able to enjoy the same consistent speed. As Sky Connect customers are not on the Sky network we are unable to extend this promise to them.
      A message from the Sky Broadband Team

It has to be another factor.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

The new policy applies to Connect only, as a Max customer it will not be applied to you. All popular sites slow down at peak periods, not just Rapidshare. Rapidshare appear to be getting a lot of users who would normally use a Torrent site, so this will put a lot more pressure on their servers.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Pwiggler is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: draycott
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

hi peeps

i got sky connect 3 weeks ago and my torrents have never risen above 50kBs.

all ports forwarded etc, tried with 5 different machines and a tried a few different BT clients but still the same at any time of the day.

i spoke to their 2nd level support who didnt even know what BT protocol was !!!

limewire downloads at 3ish meg all the time and newsgroups run at 5meg all the time also so i presume they are shaping the BT protocol??

if they are then its a lie about only limiting between 5pm and midnight??

any comments??

Pwigg

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

don't see why you expect tech support to know how to setup a torrent client - or even know what the ports are - as it's not in the remit of support...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Pwiggler is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: draycott
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

i dont expect any tech help thanks, i know how to setup clients ..... just confirmation that sky shapes bt traffic .... thanks

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

just confirmation that sky shapes bt traffic
      We know they shape, but not 24 hours a day. Maybe we need to conduct an experiment with various Connect users?

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast