Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Problems setting up reinstalling Windows XP

This is a discussion on Problems setting up reinstalling Windows XP within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I have been successfully connected to Sky Broadband for 2 years, but yesterday, I had to reinstall Windows XP, which ...

Mr Pond is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sky
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Problems setting up reinstalling Windows XP

I have been successfully connected to Sky Broadband for 2 years, but yesterday, I had to reinstall Windows XP, which has went well, but on trying to re-set-up my Sky Broadband connection, I have faced problems - cannot browse the net. I am recieving the signal and the wireless connection status displays "connected". The WG111T Netgear wizard, however, indicates that it is scanning for the channel (11) which it periodically finds but then drops. Also, no IP address appears when it locates channel 11 and the SSID.

Now, on the Netgear wizard, you have your WPA-PSK [TKIP] security box. Now, is this where you enter the 8-letter Network Channel code? Or some other code? When try connecting via Windows, and enter the 8-letter Network Key, an error box pops up stating that the password "needs to be 40 bits or 104 bits" and that this can be entered as "5 or 13 ascii characters or 10 or 26 hexadecimal characters". I have no idea what this means.

I am currently using my brother's computer in the next room which uses the same Sky Broadband wireless connection, SSID , etc and it is working fine.

Obviously, the problem lies with me not setting up properly, but I can't see what I'm doing wrong. Can you help?

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Problems setting up reinstalling Windows XP

Now, on the Netgear wizard, you have your WPA-PSK [TKIP] security box. Now, is this where you enter the 8-letter Network Channel code? Or some other code? When try connecting via Windows, and enter the 8-letter Network Key, an error box pops up stating that the password "needs to be 40 bits or 104 bits" and that this can be entered as "5 or 13 ascii characters or 10 or 26 hexadecimal characters".
      I think this indicates that you are trying to use the wrong type of encryption. Check in the router Wireless setting page what type is set up and make yours the same. I would suggest resetting the router to the default WPA pass key, but it looks like your brother may be using WEP and this would knock him off. Remember if you are using the default WPA key, it is all capital letters, no numbers.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      I think this indicates that you are trying to use the wrong type of encryption. Check in the router Wireless setting page what type is set up and make yours the same. I would suggest resetting the router to the default WPA pass key, but it looks like your brother may be using WEP and this would knock him off. Remember if you are using the default WPA key, it is all capital letters, no numbers.
      Thanks for the quick reply! Could I ask for more help on this? How does one usually locate the wireless router page? I'm using a USB adaptor for the wireless connection on my computer, btw. Cheers.

Thanks

If you are not able to connect with your PC you will not be able to access the settings from it. You will have to use your brother's one. Just type http://192.168.0.1 in the browser address bar, put in admin for the username and sky for the password and look for the Wireless settings on the left. You will find the encryption being used and the pass key under Security. You can then transfer the details to your own PC.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Still no luck, I'm afraid. The Netgear status site that you linked me to shows that my brother is using WPA and the password displayed is the one I was using on my own computer. Or is there more to it than that? Seeing as I have reinstalled Windows XP, could the problem lie there? My computer has been problematic anyhow and I think I'll buy a new one soon. My digital video editing software isn't 100% compatible, also!

Thanks again.

Thanks

Make sure you are using WPA on your PC. The error you were getting was because you were trying to use a WPA key with WEP.
      If the Netgear manager is giving problems try using the Windows Manager. To do this go to the Control Panel>Wireless Network Setup and follow the Wizard. Put in the SSID from your router. Tick the Manually assign... box and the bottom box to use WPA encrytion. Put the key from the router into the next page, it is easier if you untick the 'hide the letters' box. OK out.

In the tray at the bottom right if you have an icon for the netgear, right click it and select 'Let Windows manage my connection.

TomD

Useful Utilites

dsldude is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pond View Post
      I When try connecting via Windows, and enter the 8-letter Network Key, an error box pops up stating that the password "needs to be 40 bits or 104 bits" and that this can be entered as "5 or 13 ascii characters or 10 or 26 hexadecimal characters". I have no idea what this means.
      If your getting that message from Windows wireless manager then
      you havent got Service Pack 2 or above installed for XP

Thanks

Yes, the problem was that SP2 wasn't installed! I'm online on my own piece of **** computer now, though. Still considering getting a new desktop, though.

Huge thanks to you guys for helping me out! Great forum. I'm going to check up on how to optimise my connection now.