Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Downstream Keeps getting lower & lower..

This is a discussion on Downstream Keeps getting lower & lower.. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I have the mid band adsl package from SKY BB . When I first got my ADSL from sky ...

danj_uk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Guildford
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Question Downstream Keeps getting lower & lower..

Hi,

I have the mid band adsl package from SKY BB. When I first got my ADSL from sky I signed up to the 2mb speed. And i was getting that speed, shown on my router.

After changing to the mid band 8MB speed i was able to get up to 3.5mb (or around)...

But after a few months my line has got slower and slower. I raised a fault check with BT using there website, and them checking the line and stating there is a fault at the exchange.(was this true or a standard auto reply?) Once they said it was fixed my line speed dropped down to 906Kbps.

How strange! I sent an email to BTís faults department asking if they can check the BT line to see if there is something wrong with my line or if there is anything they can do to reduce my line length to the exchange. (as i am far away).
      They stated since BB is provided by SKY and its a BT Wholesale product they can't do anything and need to speak to SKY about it.

Fair enough I do this.

After a call with Sky today i spoke to them about my problem and stated that the line had dropped in speed, they did some tests. They left me a message stating that the line speed was only able to go to 416Kbps and now have dropped my downstream to this. (Strange thing is that my upstream has changed to the same 416Kbps- it was 384Kbps)

I understand that i am 4.35 km by road away from the exchange and that my speed would be low, but i don't get the whole initial speed being able to get 3.5mb and now they have dropped it to 416kbps.

They have also stated that they can force the line to go up to 4MB but after a while it deteriorates the line and makes it worse, and my speed would drop as well. Is this true? Can someone who has experience with this confirm or explain.
      Will this 416kbps speed be set? or will it try a increase to a better speed.

Also can Sky get BT to check my physical line to maybe improve the quality?
      Or even renew some cable? Can this be done?

Sky also say that since my line is so long that its broken in 2 to help with BB and if it was 1 long line i wouldn't be able to get ADSL. Am i correct in thinking this is some kind of ADSL signal booster somewhere between myself and the exchange?

Any help or advice with this before i progress with another phone call to sky asking why they have dropped my line to 416Kbps...

Technical Info:
      Router: Sagem F@ST

ADSL Firmware Version A2pB023c.d20e
      DownStream Connection Speed 416
      UpStream Connection Speed 416

Connection Speed 416 kbps 416 kbps
      Line Attenuation 63.5 db 31.5 db
      Noise Margin 13.3 db 10.0 db

Exchange: Guildford. BT Code: THGI
      Distance:- Direct: 3.35 km
      (appx)* By Road: 4.35 km
      I have a ADSL filter socket which was purchased from B&Q (not sure if this really makes any difference) I donít have a BT Master socket. From the BT box outside the house goes directly to this ADSL filter socket.

Any help on this would be appreciated!

Thanks

Dan

2. Advertisement
      eaglesfan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Downstream Keeps getting lower & lower..

ehh, does Sky make house calls quickly? Get a tech out to your house and they should fix it.
      -Danny Ross

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,589 Posts

You have certainly been capped, on the face of it your line could support another 2 Mb. Try removing the ADSL faceplate and plugging directly into the Test socket (the one the faceplate is plugged into) using one of the supplied filters and take your stats from there. Any large improvement in the noise margin will indicate that the faceplate is faulty. Your speed will not increase.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

House calls?

What do you mean test socket? I don't have a BT Test socket connected...

I only have the ADSL faceplate, which is connected to the BT box outside the house...

Dan

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

So you are saying that you have no master socket of any kind supplied by BT, and that your line connects directly to a filter socket which you purchased from B&Q and that is the only socket you have. Is that correct?

Thanks

Yep...

By the sound of your post this is really bad!

Should i not do this?

Should i put this back in?

Many Thanks

Dan

Thanks

No it's not that bad, the BT master socket police are not going to come and take you away.
      You need to get a NTE-5 master fitted. BT should do this, but it will prob be expensive, so you could get one and fit it yourself. At the same time get a filter faceplate.
      Both items are from ADSL Nation.

The B&Q filter which you have (if it is the one I think) is quite the worst filter I have ever seen, it's replacement should see you right. Once you have done that you will need to get back on to sky to get the cap lifted.
      Last edited by Brian69; 27-09-08 at 05:38 PM.

Thanks

Brain,

I moved my telephone line in my house from round the back to the front. As it was not the ideal place when i moved in and cut out a extension socket outside. So happy to change this...

I Still have the old master socket still, but i will take your advice and get the NTE-5 as well as a new filter faceplate...

Or shall i put the old btmaster socket back on, and connect the filters supplied from Sky and get them to uncap the line?

Thanks for your advice!

Dan

Thanks

Get the new socket first. When you moved the line, did you use external grade cable, and did you remove the line to the extension (I mean did you dissconnect it properly)

Thanks

I didn't replace the line at all.... i cut the line just before the extension socket outside.
      So i am using the same cable but shorter. and i made sure i connected it correctly to the faceplate.... (orange and white tails)

I will get the 2 sockets and keep you posted...

Should i do anything else?

Thanks again for your help, its really appreciated..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast