Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

UP 288 and DOWN 288!

This is a discussion on UP 288 and DOWN 288! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi good people I have Sky Broadband - the 2 meg package. Activation date was yesterday (25/9) but surprisingly it ...

Burns ZA is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

UP 288 and DOWN 288!

Hi good people
      I have Sky Broadband - the 2 meg package. Activation date was yesterday (25/9) but surprisingly it was up and running the day before.
      The problem is the router is synching at 288 up and 288 down. Where I stay I am never going to get much more than 1.5 megs so I knew it would be slow but clearly there is a problem.
      I phoned Sky but they insist on waiting 10 days for the line to stabilise (!) and then expect me to phone them back but the problem is that the line seems to be capped at 288.
      Any suggestions of who to contact? Or an email address of someone who can do something?

Thanks in advance
      Burns

2. Advertisement
      dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Re: UP 288 and DOWN 288!

I'm pretty sure that you are stuck on a default profile, one of the cst team will be able to give the correct terminology. You need to get thru to cst to have it removed. Try phoning later at night when they are quieter and insist to be put thru to cst. There is no training period for llu products, only connect.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dholdi View Post
      I'm pretty sure that you are stuck on a default profile, one of the cst team will be able to give the correct terminology. You need to get thru to cst to have it removed. Try phoning later at night when they are quieter and insist to be put thru to cst. There is no training period for llu products, only connect.
      Much obliged - I would appreciate the correct terminology, I wouldn't want to be stonewalled by a just-trained-techy.

smart1gordon is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Fareham
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I think you are being capped. That's the terminology you are looking for and what you should say to Sky when you ring them.

The clue is in your stats: Connection Speed 288 kbps 288 kbps

I had the exact same problem when I moved home. I rang Sky who said that they couldn't do anything in the 10 day initial period despite my protestations that the speed was unusable. Once the 10 days were up, I rang them and within a short time, the line was working at the proper speed.

I think the problem is related to a breakdown of communications between BT and Sky. BT provide the service and set the initial line up at a ridiculously slow capped speed just to get things started and test the line. Sky say they can't talk to them during this 10 days. Then when the 10 days are up, Sky then manage sort things out which means, I guess, that they can talk to BT.

I have heard about this problem several times now. Surely there must be a better way to start-up a broadband service for Sky customers?

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Gordon, theres no doubt that he's capped, however there is a profile ( cant for the life of me think what its called, and given up searching ) that I think his/her connection has either defaulted to or been set to.
      The 10 day period did apply to you as you are on connect ( BT's service rebadged ), the op is on an llu package which is provided by sky directly and there is no training period. He/she should be able to contact sky and have it resolved immediately.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Are you on Connect? These figures look very like the BTs Home 250 package. If you phone and are fobbed off by the 10 day rule, insist that you speak to a supervisor, explain to him/her that you believe BT have put you on the wrong package and you want passed to CST for action.

If you are on the Base package as your Profile says, this will not apply but you should still phone Sky and do the trouble-shooting for a slow connection. You may have to wait 3 days, before they will take action.

Before you phone, powercycle your router by pulling out the power plug from the back, leave it out for a couple of minutes and plug it in again. Check your stats.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

eaglesfan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

good post gordon, i learned a thing or two.
      -Danny Ross

smart1gordon is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Fareham
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dholdi View Post
      The 10 day period did apply to you as you are on connect ( BT's service rebadged ), the op is on an llu package which is provided by sky directly and there is no training period. He/she should be able to contact sky and have it resolved immediately.
      Ok, missed that!

My point still stands though. When a line is setup at 288/288 it's being capped. Whether broadband is provided by LLU/Sky or Connect/BT anyone should be able to ring Sky and tell them they are being capped and have it removed.

Far too many people are being fobbed off when they ring Sky who say they can't do anything within the 10 day training period. This is the case here.

This should be resolved easily in all cases and Sky should have a process that picks up issues like this without the customer having to ring at all. Speeds of 288/288 are practically unusable.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi Guys
      Thanks for the responses. I phoned Sky around 21h30 last night and got through to a very polite first wall of defence. After she checked the system and read that I had called earlier and done the basic diagnostics she re-iterated what her colleague had said earlier about doing nothing within the 10 day period!! I got a little irritated and calmly explained that it looked like I had been capped and this had to be dealt with by CST and also explaining that as far as customer service is concerned Sky sucked, she tried to put me through but then suggested using the call-back option, which I agreed to.
      Anyway I'm only willing to bang my head against a brick wall for so long. If they don't call back I'll sit the 10 day period out and get it sorted then.
      It is quite ridiculous that in this day and age we are still plagued by shoddy service and customer help centre staff who seem to be instructed to fob users off. I hope they prove me wrong.

Thanks again

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Are you on base or connect? There is no 10 day rule for base and any agent I see saying that will get short shrift in the support system as it's wrong. If you are on base and are getting 288 up and down it needs to go to cst fullstop. Don't give up, call back and hopefully if you get someone who actually looks at the issue properly they will see the issue. Do not say that you are capped to them, tell the agent that you have been configured with an incorrect package setup and CST will need to manually re-hit the router, if they argue ask them to contact their TL or SU for advice.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast