Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Connection speed drops and Router Reboots

This is a discussion on Connection speed drops and Router Reboots within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all, I had the mid sky package for about 5/6 months now. I am using the home plugs as ...

kitejumper is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SWMLZ
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Connection speed drops and Router Reboots

Hi all,
      I had the mid sky package for about 5/6 months now.
      I am using the home plugs as they are nice and stable.
      My problem is that over the last month or so, I am getting terrible connection speeds, from 160kbps to 800kbps most of the time.
      Now I know that I need to reboot my router now and again to reconnect and get back to my max speed, which is around 3500kbps.
      My line noise is around 7DB which I believe is normal and my distance from the exchange gives me a max speed of about 3500Kbps which is again right.

I can easy go to reset the router 7/ 8 times a night just to achieve speeds of around 1000kbps now this cant be normal. I can be connected at say 3000kbps and then the next minute its dropped to a crawl.

So why does it keep dropping speed?? I can post sats when I get back to home , if I get a connection!

Cheers
      KJ

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Connection speed drops and Router Reboots

Anything changed on the line?Is the router on the main socket? Any noise on the line at all and have you tried changing to a new filter?

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Anything changed on the line?Is the router on the main socket? Any noise on the line at all and have you tried changing to a new filter?

Hi,

No there has been no change in the line recently. A few months ago there was a line problem , a load of static on the line, that was fixed by BT who found an exchange problem. It made voice calls v hard to hear but the connection was still good then.
      Its plugged into my master socket and I have swapped microfilters recently. So all the obvious and easy changes to make are comming up with the same problem. Ill get some stats up[ later as I said to see if there some clues there.
      Cheers

KJ

Sky TV:
      Thanks

JUst an update in case helps any 1 else

I got home and plugged my splitter in to the test socket on my master socket and then turned off UNPN on the router. For the whole night I was getting a good 3770kbps connection which only fell over once, and did not need a reboot or any frustratinh messing around. So perhaps that combination of the two changes has helped to stabize my connection. Time will tell!!

Cheers
      KJ