Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

BB outage

This is a discussion on BB outage within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Last few days my Broadband has been dropping out. Roughly every five minutes or so. Following conversations with sky reps ...

waveydavey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02891
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

BB outage

Last few days my Broadband has been dropping out. Roughly every five minutes or so. Following conversations with sky reps took router to master/test socket, no change. Sent info off to Sky tech.
      Their reply:
      I can confirm that your local exchange experienced an outage last
      weekend and has caused intermittent connection issues ever since. Our
      engineers are working to resolve this issue as quickly as possible. I
      can only apologise for the inconvenience that this has caused.

When the problem first started I was being connected at 4.0Mbps, higher than my usual 3.2-3.6. Although over the past two days this has been dropping.

Whats going on here? Are BT being silly people and messing things up for sky customers.
      If I have intermittent connection issues, what does this mean?
      How can sky resolve issues supposedly caused at my local exchange?

Regards Wavey

2. Advertisement
      Mystic Eddy is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Apple AirPort ac Time Capsule
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: BB outage

It looks like you're syncing too high for your line (needs to be set back to ~3.4Mbps. Could be a problem with the DSLAM (equipment in the exchange) that Sky need to fix. This can sometimes be done remotely or if something needs replacing, they will have to go to the exchange.
      Intermittent connection issues just means that your connection isn't constant, it keeps dropping out as you say. This will be fixed by either Sky sorting the exchange out or capping your line to a lower speed.
      Post your router stats and we can see if there's a problem anywhere.
      I Used To Have An Open Mind, But My Brain Kept Falling Out

Sky TV:
      Thanks

My stats

Wavey

Mystic Eddy is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange:
      Router: Apple AirPort ac Time Capsule
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Looking at your stats, I'd guess that your line needs to be set to around 2.8Mbps, due to the very low noise margin (normal is around 7dB).
      Phone Sky and ask them to stabalise the line to around the suggested speed, do not email them, you'll have an auto cap applied then!
      I Used To Have An Open Mind, But My Brain Kept Falling Out

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Before you ask Sky to cap you try this - go Here and put 114(%) in for your Target Noise Margin. If it works, it will set your router to 8dbs, giving you a slightly bigger noise margin, which should help with the disconnections. You can try increasing it more if you like, each 7% will give you about 1 db increase.

If it is problems at the exchange that are causing the problem it may not help, but having your connection capped will not either. Always avoid asking for a cap as it can be difficult at times to get it removed. This does not matter if you have a reasonably fast connection, but yours is not.

I know you say you have tried the test socket and there was no change, but if you have a wired extension, try it again and post your stats. If you have an extension wired to the master socket it would be unusual for there to be no difference in the stats. If you do not have an extension wired in, there would be little if any difference, so don't bother.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Red face Re: BB outage

Thanks for all your helpfull advice. Had a go at setting TNM to 114. Not sure whats meant to happen. after logging in with admin and sky I got a blank window which seemed to be doing nothing. It's all a wee bit too deep for me. Ill give sky a ring in the morning and see where I get.
      Always wairy of circumstances. BT had rang just two days before all this stuff happened, asking if i was intrested in their package.Told them I was tied up with sky.
      Question: At one time Sky were unable to supply broadband in my area (BT19) then they informed me that they could offer broadband, which i took up. Do sky have some sort of input into my exchange? I still pay BT for my line rental. Are all my sky neighbours having the same problem?

wavey

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

If you are paying between 5 and 10 per month then it means sky now have their own equipment in use in your exchange, if that equipment is faulty then it's possible other people on that exchange could be experiencing issues. If however it's line related then no it could unfortunately just be you.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If your exchange is Bangor N.I., it was enabled for Sky in June last year. You appear to be on Sky Max. If setting the TNM worked, your router should have resynced with the exchange at a noise margin of 8dbs. What do your stats show now?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

eaglesfan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Ehh this has been happening to me too lately. Hopefully it's a temp thing.
      -Danny Ross

Sky TV:
      Thanks

thanks everyone. got voice mail from sky saying that they have fixed the problem. so far all is good.
      wavey