Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Dead connection

This is a discussion on Dead connection within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Got connected on Wednesday to Sky BB and I during the day I was having LCP down problems. I was ...

rottweiler is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Dead connection

Got connected on Wednesday to Sky BB and I during the day I was having LCP down problems. I was also getting the error 300 message when doing the sky test. Last night I lost connection and I wasn't able to get back on. The telephone line also went dead. After an hour the telephone started to work again. So I called SKY and I was on hold for around 20 minutes and the phone when dead again. This morning my line was still dead so I decided to unplug all the phones from the extensions. I traced it back to my router and the filter was causing the problem. So I replaced the filter and my phone is working fine now. But my broadband is still not working! I have gone into the router settings and all I can see is 0 kbps up and 0kpbs down. The internet light on the router is also off. I've got another router a netgear dg834 and thats not showing the internet light aswell. Is this down to my line or the sky router?

2. Advertisement
      leffe is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      As you have already been connected, give the technical suppot team a ring on 0870 024 8929.

There is not normally a queue, and they do appear to be quite good. They have just tweaked my mate's connection, as his router was connecting at 10meg, be he was only getting 4meg

Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks I will give them a call in a bit. My connection speed does seem a bit low my figures were Line Attenuation 43.0 db Noise Margin 7.1 db connection speed around 3440kbps to around 5200kbps

Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Update

Gave Sky a call on Friday and I spoke to someone in technical support. They went throught the usual troubleshooting stuff. They also performend a line test and it failed! They then transfered me to level 2 support. Explained the problem to them and it seems there is a problem with my line. Two things either my line is messed up because of BT or my router is messed up! Tech support said I have to wait till Monday! I've had no broadband since Thurday evening! Looks like its a sign of more problems to come!

Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      If they did a line test and say you have a fault on the line then its nothing to do with the router so it will either be in the exchange or from there to your house.
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

littleladyval is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

should I go ahead?

My current ISP, plus.net, is unreliable and I never know when I go online whether it is working or not. I have done a few checks and as a Sky subscriber thought Sky Broadband my best bet. I have registered my interest but not heard from them -- and reading some of these comments on this site makes me nervous. I do NOT want to go from frying pan into fire.

So the question I need answering please is: if you were me, would you change to Sky Broadband?

Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Welcome to the site littleladyval

I have to say I was with Plusnet for 2 years and found them very good but all that said and done after the mess with MAX Adsl etc I moved to Zen and never had a problem with them either but as soon as I was able I moved to SkyBB I have not regretted it for one minute.
      Last edited by Wheelie; 24-09-06 at 07:31 PM.
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

dtr44 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: halfway wshal
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

hi

i've just left plus net after my year [must admit at first they were ok ]however their answer to any problems seem to be bt test [for nything from poor pings to email fiasco] their fup,sup loss of binaries ,poor pings ,loss of their email server ,poor customer support and their help and support desk were very poor ,but if your happy stay with them [oh also 21.99 for thier service is way pricey and only for 2 meg as thier max dsl was abysmal [i know bt caused the problem [bras etc ] but plus did the twiddle thumbs routine for at least a month ,for 10 quid u cant complain [9-10 meg connection very stable so far and no problems ]