Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Line upgrade...?

This is a discussion on Line upgrade...? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I've had sky broadband (max package to avoid d/l limits) for about... 3 months now. I've had speeds of, at ...

no_name is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Line upgrade...?

I've had sky broadband (max package to avoid d/l limits) for about... 3 months now. I've had speeds of, at best, about 680 kbps d/l. Sky tell me its because its a brand new house it has a bad line etc etc. So when I ask them if they're going to do something about it I either get an 'I don't know' or 'No' response.

I play games online on my xbox, and its quite frustrating that other people in the house can't use the internet at the same time, or vice versa. And it's especially frustrating when streaming video/audio etc.

I was just wondering if anyone knows if Sky/BT are likely to upgrade the lines any time soon, if at all ?

2. Advertisement
      The Realist is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Anything
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre 100GB Trial Gold X
      Router: Sky Q Hub Mk7 Trial Gold
      Sky TV: SkyQ/Motorised
      Thanks

Re: Line upgrade...?

Have you asked BT to check the line for faults?
      Disclaimer: The views expressed here are my own and in no way represent the views or policies of my employer.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Sky will not upgrade a line, If a line is faulty then that is down to BT to repair, poor connections are usually down to either internal wiring or line length. The further away from the exchange, the slower the connection. Try connection the router to the test socket to see if that helps, also post your router stats here so we can see if there is anything obvious.

When playing online, anything else that is also using the connection will impact your game, this will happen on all connections, it is not an issue of line speed but more an issue of slowing down the packets fror your game, there is no real cure for this.

If you are connecting wirelessly to your x-box then you should try using a wired connection, this will greatly improve your gameplay, it did mine.

You could asky Sky to reduce your max delays to 8 (use the online kana form) this will reduce the time it takes for your game to send and receive information and reduce any lag but be aware that you may also have your line speed lowered and capped to acheive this.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The Realist View Post
      Have you asked BT to check the line for faults?
      Please be aware that when you do this, DO NOT mention that it is your ADSL that is the problem, they will not investigate for this reason.

I would advise not doing this for the moment

When you use the phone, do you hear any noise on the line, a crackle etc? if not then it is more likley that you either have an internal wiring fault or just a longish line to the exchange.

Post your router stats so we can have a look.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Wow... its even slower today.

Connection Speed 384 kbps 768 kbps
      Line Attenuation 58.0 db 31.5 db
      Noise Margin 11.4 db 7.0 db

Theres noise when I use my phone yes, its like a tapping/crackle kind of noise.

So should I phone BT and ask them about it?

Thanks

Yes, phone BT and report an issue with your VOICE calls a crackle etc I am sure it must get worse when it is damp to the point that it is hard to hear the other person (wink)

DO NOT MENTION ADSL, you can advise the engineer if/when he arrives also ensure coffee/tea and bacon butties are ready for him

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I'll do that thanks.

Just out of interest, is it just a faulty line?

Thanks

It's hard to be sure, until the line is clear the router stats will not be great and the sync speed will be affected. Once the line is clear of the fault the stats will give a better indication.

The best setup once the line is repaired would be to fit a filtered faceplate to the master socket and also fit the router there then run an ethernet cable to the PC (or use homeplugs like me). It's not always possible due to the master socket location but you could always run a good quality lead from the filtered faceplate to the router (which is a better option than a phone extension).

Have you checked your line lenght? the closer to the exchange you are the better speed you are likley to achieve.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Before you phone BT plug the phone into your Test socket and check it from there. Noise on the phone can be caused by internal issues and if BT are called out and the fault is on your side of the Master socket, you are liable to be charged. You can do a proper quiet line test by dialling 17070 option 2, if you get noise on that from the Test socket, then phone BT. As mentioned do not mention broadband.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

The problem is, there doesn't seem to be a master socket in the house. I've looked for the larger socket people have told me to but all the sockets are the same.

If I remember correctly, I'm about 1.5 miles from the exchange as the crow flies.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast