Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Does this constitute theft?

This is a discussion on Does this constitute theft? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Just a thought. I have twice paid the 20 activation fee for mid package but service never happened. They manged ...

Beephe is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NEDL Darlington
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Does this constitute theft?

Just a thought.

I have twice paid the 20 activation fee for mid package but service never happened.

They manged to get the money instantly from my credit card, but when I requested that these fees be refunded, they said they would, but it might take a couple of days.
      Two weeks later I discover that they can take anything up to 2 weeks to be returned to my credit card account.

All this happened on the 9th September and you've guessed, nothing yet!

Andrew
      i
      Mac 20"
      G5 2.16Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
      OSX 10.4.9

2. Advertisement
      Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Hi Andrew

Not at all it can take some time to show back on your card I just received 2 payments that were taken from a company that had no business taking it as the account as closed in June, not and ISP though I think it was 11 days after I spoke with them that the money showed up.
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

hugsie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: CMASHF
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      I think, often it is the banks involved that hold the refunds up rather than the companies, When I used to work for National Express I could refund a customer instantly, but they would not see the money until the bank processed the request

Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Yep theres that as well Bank=GREED
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

hugsie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: CMASHF
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Thanks
      Yes they like to hold your money for a couple of days and get some interest then give it back!

nheather is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Carfax, Horsham (SDHRSHM)
      Broadband ISP: Paying more to get Unlimited so that I get the same service as the MID I signed up for
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks
      I think, often it is the banks involved that hold the refunds up rather than the companies
      Not convinced. I have experienced a number of credit card refunds over the years.

Some have shown up in a day or two (usually the more reputable companies - M&S for example) whilst others have taken weeks (usually less reputable eTailers).

If the banks were at fault I would expect to see a more uniform and consistent delay.

I think some companies may deliberately delay but in most cases they just have inefficient processes loaded with red tape.

For example "I've refunded the credit card"

- translates to -

"I've put the refund request on the system. My manager then has to authorise it when he eventually gets round to it. He then needs to put the written authorisation in the internal mail for finance. It ends up at an in-tray in Finance on Tracey's desk. But Tracey is off sick for the week so nothing happens until her return. When she gets back she processes it in the finance system. The next BACS run isn't for another 3 days. The refund is then transferred to the credit card company who take a further day or so to update your account".

Cheers,

Nigel

Beephe is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NEDL Darlington
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Appreciate comments Guys.

I'm inclined to think it is likely to be a combination of all replies - Banks and the companies are ultimely keen to get our money, but when it comes to giving it back, they do it kicking and screaming and always blame this,that or the other.

As it as been said, they make money in small ways at our eXpense

Cheers Guys
      Andrew
      i
      Mac 20"
      G5 2.16Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
      OSX 10.4.9

stevvie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bradwell Abbey (SMBA)
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      I had this problem with sky a few years ago when the took money for my premium packege twice in 1 month and it was a nightmare getting the money back from them. This happend 2 months on the trot. I now have a 3 day window when sky can get thier money and if they miss it they can wait.

jonnywombat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Talk to your credit card company, there is usually insurance against fraudulent use,and they will act on your behalf in recovering the monies. I have gone done this path in the past with another isp and it worked a treat.
      WOMBAT Waste Of Money Brains And Time