Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Wired / Wireless speed issue

This is a discussion on Wired / Wireless speed issue within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Have any of your flatmates got a USB W/adapter? If so ask them if you could borrow it and install ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Wired / Wireless speed issue

Have any of your flatmates got a USB W/adapter? If so ask them if you could borrow it and install it. See what your results are like then. It could be you have a rubbish adapter or one that does not like your router.

What like is the speed your flatmates get in your flat? It could be you have insulation in the walls between you and the router. Or have you tried your laptop in line of sight with the router.

Remember too that if others are connected your connection will suffer. This is a common complaint in flats, especially when one of the 'mates' insists on connecting to torrents 24 hours a day.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      villz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

The router is in my room so no line of sight, or wall issues.

Found even more up to date drivers on the Toshiba website earlier tonight but that still hasn't helped. You would imagine that Toshiba wouldn't cut corners on something that is meant to be a business laptop. I was the only person using the connection today, so it wouldn't have been maxed by other people's torrents. When it was wired today I was still getting 12 000 kbs throughput. Its just the wireless part thats got me stumped. A connection of 500kb/s are ridiculous for a wireless network though, there HAS to be something thats causing it. The spiking that happens during the speed test would lean me towards it being a settings issue. Something that causes lots of packets to collide or be dropped or something. MTU window size... anything?

This is driving me up the wall...

Exchange:
      Thanks

Just a quick update...

Vista SP1 has made no difference...

Thanks

You can check your MTU in Vista by opening an elevated Command Prompt and typing - netsh interface ipv4 show subinterfaces
      Sky use an MTU of 1500 and afaik this is the Vista default.

Elevated prompt = Win key>type cmd>right click icon and select 'Run as Administrator'.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

MTU is 1500

What would cause a wireless connection to spike and splutter?

Its like when a file is being transferred, 100k will make it through very quickly, and then the connection will pause for a second, then throughput is back to normal again, stops again, starts again... all at irregular intervals?

Thanks

All I can suggest is that you borrow an adapter that you know works well with the router and try that. Some adapters have compatibility problems with certain routers, not only Sky ones, you may have one of these. It would at least prove whether it is your PC settings or the adapter that is causing the problem.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

Ok here is the most ridiculous thing ever.

Last night I installed the latest drivers, rebooted, installed Vista SP1, ran a speed test and was getting the usual 500kb/s, so in frustration I shut down the laptop and went to bed.

This morning I get up, check this forum, ran your MTU check from the cmd prompt and then ran another speed test wirelessly... 10 500 kbps!!!!!!!!

ARGH!

Ok well hopefully things will settle down now... I'll report back if the problem returns.

Thanks for your help and advice anyway guys - muchly appreciated!

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

It could be almost anything electrical that is causing your problem, a faulty PSU in a PC/TV, phone charger, boiler the list is endless it could even be nextdoor.

If the problem comes back you will have to try to work out what has changed since you last had a good speed. Has a TV/DVD been unplugged etc.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12