Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

my sky broadband problems

This is a discussion on my sky broadband problems within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I have recently purchased sky broadband 8mb and had nothing but problems so id like to explain here see if ...

Neon is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

my sky broadband problems

I have recently purchased sky broadband 8mb and had nothing but problems so id like to explain here see if someone can shed some light on it all.

I recieved my sky router on Monday 8th september but inside the package the despatch note had a different address on it for someone in Preston and i live in petersfield.

anyway and tuesday 9th september i recieved a text message saying that my sky broadband was activated so i set up the router and connected to the internet.I noticed that the browsing was really slow and i was only downloading at 26-30k/sec so i entered the router settings to check the up and down speed

Heres the settings:

Code:
      ADSL Link  	Downstream  	Upstream
      Connection Speed 	288 kbps 	288 kbps
      Line Attenuation 	30 db 	              8.5 db
      Noise Margin 	31 db 	              25 db
      As you can see the downstream and upsteam are both at 288k which is very slow.I left it till wednesday 10th then tried it again but still the same.
      I phoned sky up and eventually got through to there tech support where i explained my situation and after alot of messing about i was told that my line needed regrading and would be done by friday 12th september.

So i waited till midday on friday then tried it again but still the same 288k.I called sky back and was told to leave it till saturday 13th midday and try it again.I did this but still no change.

I just got off the phone with sky again and now there telling me that the regrade could take aslong as the 23rd september.He said that if i was at 288k then i wouldnt even be able to load webpages so my speed must have gone up abit but if i check the router settings again i still have:

Code:
      Connection Speed  	288 kbps  	288 kbps
      if the line was trying to determine my maximum stable speed then surely the speed would be going up and down and not just staying at 288k.

Anyway thats it so i guess i just have to wait untill after the 23rd september to see what happens.

what are your thoughts on all this? are they just spinning me a line or is there some truth to what there saying.

thx for reading and id appreciate some input thank you

2. Advertisement
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Re: my sky broadband problems

Still no change today begining to wonder if i should just phone up and cancel

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

You are probably on Connect and have been set at the wrong speed/package by BT. Sky T1 support are very reluctant to do anything about Connect customers for the first 10 days as this is a line training period. Phone them again and emphasise that you believe you are on the wrong package and want it checked immediately. With a bit of luck you will get a support bod that knows what the problem is and will get you fixed in a couple of days. This is not Sky's fault, BT seem to do this regularly, I think to annoy Sky's customers.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Aye we escalated a few last night, just hope we don't get our wrists slapped lol

Exchange:
      Thanks

i have spoken to t3 and all they say is my line has been regraded and can take 10 days for it to reach its stable speed
      is regraded the say as telling bt to change my package?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

It would have been a lot easier if they could just say 'you are now on the correct package' but I assume this is what they mean. To be honest, it usually takes a few days, as the actual change has to be made by BT, but I suppose it is possible.

You should power down your router for 5 minutes, then power it up again, every night for the next week to allow it to resync with the exchange. If they have fixed it you should see an improvement with the first reboot.

Have a look at This it will give you an idea on how to handle your connection.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

thx for the reply..Sky told me not to power down the router for a week for some reason...Going on you advise i have just rebooted the router but it doesnt seem to have changed heres my current stats.

Code:
      ADSL Link  	Downstream  	Upstream
      Connection Speed 	288 kbps 	288 kbps
      Line Attenuation 	30 db 	8.5 db
      Noise Margin 	27 db 	24 db
      this is driving me insane am im starting to wonder if sky/bt will ever sort out this problem

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

it all depends who put the regrade through...I know how to do it (but not allowed) but the BT Escalations team should be doing it...IF normal CST said they are then chances are they did it wrong/didn't do it at all
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Thanks

so i should make another phone call to see if they are doing it...i hate talking to them they think they can just talk crap down the phone.

x LAGER LOUT x is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Aldershot:THAD
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Try calling them late at night, they will be less busy so you will have a better chance of getting put through to someone who knows what they're talking about.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast