Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

SNR getting lower.

This is a discussion on SNR getting lower. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Just to add to Brian's comment, if you do pay rental to Sky, call 08442 410 515 and make sure ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: SNR getting lower.

Just to add to Brian's comment, if you do pay rental to Sky, call 08442 410 515 and make sure you get through to the Sky Talk Team, not the broadband team.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      DeclanTM is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WSARD
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear DG834PN
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 1TB
      Thanks

Hi,

Again sorry for the confusion but my line rental is payed to BT. However Sky said last night if BT was still being unhelpful they would be more than happy to move the line rental over to Sky and then they would start dealing with the faulty line. Right now that seems the most sensible plan as the BT engineer charges are crazy.

When you say poor joint does this mean internally or something outside my house? Also please not the SNR gets higher not lower when the phone is lifted.

Cheers,
      Declan
      Sky+ HD, Sky Broadband Max LLU, Netgear DG834PN

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

If the line rental is paid to BT, and you have line noise at the test socket, then you can report this to BT. The poor joint may well be in the external line, the BT bit

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Also please not the SNR gets higher not lower when the phone is lifted.
      I think this is one of the reasons Brian is suggesting a poor joint. I don't know the technical reason, but this is one of the symptoms.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

yes, a poor joint wether badly made or damaged, can cause all sorts of problems with BB. Some say that it acts as a rectifier and demodulates part of the ADSL signal and this is the noise you hear when the router is connected. I'm not so sure myself, but the point is a deffective joint or damaged cable will cause problems for BB.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DeclanTM View Post
      Hi,

Again sorry for the confusion but my line rental is payed to BT. However Sky said last night if BT was still being unhelpful they would be more than happy to move the line rental over to Sky and then they would start dealing with the faulty line. Right now that seems the most sensible plan as the BT engineer charges are crazy.

When you say poor joint does this mean internally or something outside my house? Also please not the SNR gets higher not lower when the phone is lifted.

Cheers,
      Declan
      I know it sounds like a sensible option but in my opinion it isn't

Sky will still use BT to repair the fault, it will just mean going through another body to try to get it sorted (and by all accounts they Sky drag their feet). If it does for some reason turn out to be your internal wiring, you will get the bill anyway.

Ring BT, tell them you have a voice fault and that it seems worse then it is wet outside and crackles. DO NOT MENTION ADSL. When the engineer comes show him the problem and explain it affects your Broadband, whislt plying him with Tea/Coffee and bacon butties.

That's exactly what I did a few years ago when I had the same problem as you which turned out to be a poor joint at either the cabinet or the pole and I'm now getting the full 16.4Mbps

DeclanTM is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WSARD
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear DG834PN
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 1TB
      Thanks

OK, thanks for the help. Will get another phone to test the master test socket with today and if the noise is still there I will phone BT and get someone out.
      Sky+ HD, Sky Broadband Max LLU, Netgear DG834PN

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12