Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

online for 2 days.. expertise needed

This is a discussion on online for 2 days.. expertise needed within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hey guys & gals new here but in need of your expertise! got my sky max up and running 2 ...

stevenlondon is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wandsworth
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic

online for 2 days.. expertise needed

Hey guys & gals

new here but in need of your expertise!

got my sky max up and running 2 days ago and its been touch and go a bit. i am 1.73km from exchange and was in belief i would get around 4mb ds.

well the best i have synced was at 3 which isnt bad. i hooked up my line to the master socket same story so i gather thats the best my line can handle which is fine. But my connection drops out every few hours or so, i dont have to reboot or anything it comes back a little while later. So i just wanted to know if this is 'DLM' doing its thing? my interest was also why my upstream rate is quite high i would think in comparison to my ds rate.

here are stats if they help..

Any info would be greatly appreciated!!

ADSL Firmware Version
      Modem Status Connected
      DownStream Connection Speed 2816 kbps
      UpStream Connection Speed 768 kbps
      VPI 0
      VCI 38

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 2816 kbps 768 kbps
      Line Attenuation 52 db 15.5 db
      Noise Margin 7 db 8 db

2. Advertisement
      HSNetwork is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SLRF
      Broadband ISP: Max going to O2 Pro
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Blog Entries

Re: online for 2 days.. expertise needed

Hello and welcome StevenLondon,

Going by the stats you have posted above (and not being a pro in DLM) I would say you are bordering on best line as it is. It does not appear that you are on DLM (But again I may be corrected).

As for the line drop outs, is there any pattern to it? Eg the time of day, something certain being done on the net at the time, or a certain appliance being turned on in the house and so on.
      One thing you can try (although it is entirely your own decision to do so) is if you have another router spare, extract your username and password and then set up your other router. Although I should refer you back to sky support, the most likely result would be your line being capped, and being a veteran of a line that doesnt like netgears etc its something I always consider.

Again, i will probably stand to be corrected, but I hope that helps

Tom (HSNetwork)

A Word of advice :-
      "Dont ever p*** of your Network/System/Server Admin. Any responsible IT Admin will know more about you than you know about yourself, just ask those that have wronged me.

How to set up Wireless on your Ipod Touch / IPhone (PDF including pictures)
      How to set up Sky Emails on your Ipod Touch / Iphone (PDF including pictures)

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV

Re: online for 2 days.. expertise needed

DLM isn't used on new connections so that can be ruled out...

an attenuation of 52 would suggest a line around 4KM (my att is 45 and im 3.5KM from my exchange) so although you won't get great speed - 4Mbps is definately achievable...

do you have a test socket? if so, try in there and see how your stats then look...

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket