Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Slow broadband & frequent cut-offs

This is a discussion on Slow broadband & frequent cut-offs within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Right, im a newish user to Sky broadband and im also not very technical.So please keep any anticipated replies free ...

kevsablade is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01709
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Slow broadband & frequent cut-offs

Right, im a newish user to Sky broadband and im also not very technical.So please keep any anticipated replies free of technical gobbly-gook !!
      Ive got the basic 'base' broadband with the newer grey netgear router. It wouldnt work at first so the Sky phone helpline told me it was because i was using an extension from the phone socket. [from the kitchen into the dining room-over 10 Mtrs.]
      I then bought a Netgear adaptor for about 30.
      This says at the moment its running at 54Mbps.This is the maximum it ever gets too and is often 20-38. The connection goes off constantly and its as slow as my previous dial up. I hardly download anything.All i use it for is email or viewing You tube.Half the time i cant get on at all [windows "you are not connected to the internet" message comes up] and i have to keep trying for an hour and its so frustrating. I dont want super fast speed, all i want is a reliable connection. Can you help 'Please'................
      I definitely dont want to ring the Sky helpline again at 50p per minute[cant afford the phone bill as it is !!]
      Last edited by kevsablade; 06-09-08 at 01:20 PM. Reason: test

2. Advertisement
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Slow broadband & frequent cut-offs

In addition to my previous post, ive just read further info and done a speed test which states the following:-
      Download speed 2656 Kbps
      Upload speed 335 Kbps
      ISP is easynet
      It states my speeds are faster than normal.This is obviously because it stayed at 54 MBps [i kept watching the wireless connector speed] but why does it drop 50% of the time and why do i keep losing the connection ??
      Thanks......................

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

You are connecting faster than you should be on Base. This has nothing to do with how you are connecting to the router, it is purely between the router and the exchange. You will never connect at over 54mbps as this is the rating of the DG934G and it has not really got a lot to do with your actual internet speed.

Try changing the channel in the router. Start at channel 13 and work your way down till you find the best connection. Also changing the orientation of the router by swivelling it around a few degrees at a time may help.

I don't think Sky charge 50p a minute, more like 10p and free is you have Sky Talk

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for that i'll give it a try.Funnily enough when i was first registering on here i moved the router to find its details and i havent had any problems since, so that may be it.Will keep my fingersa crossed.Thanks...............