Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Speed Problems please help!

This is a discussion on Speed Problems please help! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I moved into a new build 2bed flat and got sky max broadband however im having real trouble with ...

DaveK99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01908
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Speed Problems please help!

Hi,
      I moved into a new build 2bed flat and got sky max broadband however im having real trouble with getting anywhere near the downstream speed i would expect for my stats. they are as follows:

Router StatisticsSystem Up Time: 46:12:19

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 1768004 1761194 0 5991 9082 30:44:02
      LAN 100M/Full 392339 554814 0 487 454 46:12:15
      WLAN 11M/54M 1480192 1490026 0 5870 4008 46:12:01
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 2902 kbps 733 kbps
      Line Attenuation 52 db 15.5 db
      Noise Margin 7 db 10 db

I was on DLM and I have been on the phone to sky, i managed to get my upstream put up from 412 to 733 and but they said they couldnt do my upstream till DLM finished (my downstream at this time was about 3266k) I then recieved a automated message less than a week after saying it was sorted. so i phoned up to see if i could get my speed increased. the guy i spoke to went then to speak to another guy but was told that my line would not be stable with any more speed so thats the best i could have.

That made me suspicious since a freind of mine had sky max and line attenuation of 58db and a noise margin of 2.5db. and was getting around 5500kb connection. Sky then questioned my internal wiring so i had master socket and wiring checked by BT who said there was no problem and i had wired best way possible, i.e filter straight from master socket straight into router. My neighbour above me has sky on mid package so i checked his router stats. his display as this.

Connection Speed 6432 kbps 416 kbps
      Line Attenuation 54 db 31.5 db
      Noise Margin 6.5 db 13 db

So i then phone sky again where i eventually get put though to higher depatment (i believe CST or something) i explain everything to the guy, and to be honest he didnt have an answer apart from my router could be dodgy so he said he would send a new one. he also managed to get my downstream up to around 3928kb he monitered the line whilst i used it but said it wasn't stable enough to go any higher.

i recieved the new router a few days later and switched old off and put new on. the downsteam went down to 3745kb and auttenuation went up from 52 to 53db. i then put old router back on and the auttenuation went back to52bd but the downstream had decreased again to 3215kb. a couple of days later i was using ps3 online and connection dropped. had to restart router and the downstream had dropped again to 2902kb.

I really dont know what more i can do or why im having trouble when others i know and a neighbour in the same building as me with sky are getting a better speed with more interferance on there line.

Any help would be much appreciated.

many thanks Dave

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Speed Problems please help!

I know you have had your wiring checked and they say it is OK, but try this anyway. Remove the front plate from your Master socket and plug directly into the Test socket behind it. Take your stats from there. While you have the faceplate off, if there is a wire on terminal 3 at the rear of the plate, remove it. This is the ring wire and acts like an aerial, picking up noise. It is not required with modern phones or when using filters. You do have have filters on all your sockets that are in use?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi, Thanks for reply.
      here is my stats on the test socket, the 3rd wire is not connected.

System Up Time: 85:15:50

WAN PPPoA 1367 1453 0 976 2418 00:07:50
      LAN 100M/Full 3660119 2103455 0 1672 1055 85:15:46
      WLAN 11M/54M 5197058 5820547 0 9931 12887 85:15:32
      Connection Speed 4739 kbps 733 kbps
      Line Attenuation 54 db 15.5 db
      Noise Margin 5 db 10 db

And here are the stats with the face plate back on:

System Up Time: 85:18:15

WAN PPPoA 11 7 0 45 53 00:00:17
      LAN 100M/Full 3660159 2103455 0 1671 1054 85:18:11
      WLAN 11M/54M 5197388 5820796 0 9927 12881 85:17:57
      Connection Speed 3912 kbps 733 kbps
      Line Attenuation 53 db 15.5 db
      Noise Margin 7 db 10 db

Any ideas?
      thanks Dave

Thanks

There is very little difference between the two. The Test is slightly better but not by very much. There could be a fault in your main line which is holding you back a bit, but it is unlikely to be picked up by a check. To be honest your neighbour must have an exceptionally good line to sync at 6400. Normally you would expect 4-5Mbs from an attenuation of 54dbs. A different router may get a bit more for you, but that is not guaranteed.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Ok thanks for reply. i am still a bit confused why there is slightly more attenuation and slightly lower noise margin on the test socket. surley that should be the other way around?

But if you guys think thats good for the stats then im happy with that. annoying thing is im only a couple of hundred meters from my exchange. guess the wiring must loop the long way around to my house.

Thanks alot

Thanks

To be honest, that puzzles me a bit too. You would normally expect the reverse or no change at all. Even with the higher attenuation, the test gives a better connection speed, albeit with a slightly lower noise margin.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

A couple of dB's one way or another is no problem. My heart sank when I read "new build" in the first sentence

Thanks

That was my thought to Brian, I expect the wire installers (I will not insult you by calling them engineers) took as many shortcuts as possible to make a fast buck.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yeah im guessing your right, infact when i spoke to a guy at CST he told when they install the wiring in new appartments (there are 6 in my block) they sometimes share the BT lines between them. im not sure how that work's as im no expert but it sounds quite possibe now. dam it! if i downgrade my package to mid will i loose upstream speed? as i mostly use for online PS3 and believe the upstream is more important than downstream esp on games which you have to host.

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

The best way to wire a small block like yours is to run sperate cables from each flat to the point where the main feed enters. There are several advantages to this.
      (1) the cable from each flat would be at least 4 pair, so it's dead easy to run in a second or third line to any flat that wants one.
      (2) the chances of there being a split pair in the wiring is very small (a split pair is when a circuit uses one line from two seperate pairs)

But the big disadvantage from an installers point of view is that it uses more cable, so what happens is that a 3 pair is run to the first floor, with seperate lines from there to each flat assuming 3 flats per floor.
      This leaves no spaire capacity for extra lines and is very prone to split pairs for the unwary installer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast