Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Consistent slow speed since re-connection

This is a discussion on Consistent slow speed since re-connection within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I've had Sky BB Mid since late last year and was achieving speeds of around 5mbps. However, BT inadvertently disconnected ...

AndyJS is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cheltenham
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Consistent slow speed since re-connection

I've had Sky BB Mid since late last year and was achieving speeds of around 5mbps. However, BT inadvertently disconnected my line around May of this year and therefore the BB was removed as well. Once the line was re-connected I had the BB re-activated. However, since this I can only achieve a download connection speed of 2045kbps. This speed has been constant since re-activation.

I've had a number of email/phone conversations with Sky and have been told that they are pushing around 5mbps down the line. I've tried all the usual things (plugging filter into test socket, changing filter etc) with no difference. I've also tried using my Belkin router and still have the same connection speed.

I've now managed to get hold of someone in CST who seems to think that the router is faulty and is sending me a new one (although the speed using my Belkin router is the same, not that I told them that).

My stats are:

Connection Speed 2045 kbps 382 kbps
      Line Attenuation 47 db 13.5 db
      Noise Margin 19 db 19 db

Is it likely to be the router or something that Sky can fix their end. I asked whether the speed had been capped but was told that it hadn't.

Thanks

Andy

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: Consistent slow speed since re-connection

those are Base stats - best call Sky to confirm what you're meant to be on...

you're also on adsl2+...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

AndyJS is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cheltenham
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I did think that it was the speed for the Base package and when i spoke to support asked if it had been capped to the base speed he said that it wasn't. I also asked the person in CST the same question and he said it wasn't capped. The fact that it has remained a constant speed and that my Belkin router connects at the same speed leads me to believe that it is capped in some way. I'll await the arrival of my replacement router and see if it makes any difference although i doubt that it will.

What difference does ADSL2+ make.

Does anyone know of a quick way to get through to CST? I was on hold for nearly an hour after phoning the support number from the Sky website.
      Last edited by AndyJS; 04-09-08 at 11:14 PM. Reason: Extra question added.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

its that long all the time of late...best time to call is either before 8am or around midnight...

another thought, log into your MySky and it'll tell you what Bb package you're on...there is a slight chance the line isn't capped - i have seen lines not capped show up very low with a high SNR...no explanation for it other than a possible dodgy extention/something not filtered...
      Last edited by IWasNotTheEnemy; 05-09-08 at 12:05 AM.
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket