Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Noise on line only with modem plugged in

This is a discussion on Noise on line only with modem plugged in within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I have a very strange problem with my connection. Somtimes I can connect at 8meg and sometimes 300k!!!. I have ...

bucketheadbob is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Noise on line only with modem plugged in

I have a very strange problem with my connection. Somtimes I can connect at 8meg and sometimes 300k!!!.
      I have replaced the face plate with a Solwise.(That rules out the socket)
      I have no extension sockets
      I can hear the some noise on the telephone but this is only with the modem plugged in?. If i unplug the modem the noise goes away?
      I have tried various modems on the line and they all cause the noise to appear. ( that rule out the modem)
      Somtimes there is no noise for several hours but when it comes back the line speed drops.

BT have been to 'fix' the problem they changed the cable from the pole to the house. This improved the line speed ( I could only get 6meg before). It was good when they left but the noise came back after a couple of hours.

I am assuming that it must be the telephone line from the exchange to the pole. But why does the noise only appear when the modem is plugged in?

BT have done a line check and they say that the line is OK . They say that they are only obliged to provide a good voice line . They say that the broadband is not guaranteed . Sky say they cannot help because BT say the line is OK

How can I get BT to fix the line???

What do I do!!!

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Noise on line only with modem plugged in

It is possible the faceplate is not operating properly. Remove it, plug in one of the supplied filters and try it. Also try another phone, your phone may be faulty.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      It is possible the faceplate is not operating properly. Remove it, plug in one of the supplied filters and try it. Also try another phone, your phone may be faulty.
      Thanks for a quick reply.
      I have tried it without the face plate and used one off the supplied filters.(that was why I bought the face plate in the first place)
      I have tried another phone ( that made no difference)
      I think the telephone only allows me to hear the noise it doesn't cause the noise. The line drops speed even when the phone is not present?

I realise that this is abit like 'does a tree make a noise when it falls if there is no one to hear it' but can you give me any reason why plugging in the modem causes the noise (intermittent) to appear on the voice line

I have changed the modem

Thanks

Bob

Thanks

Is this happening with a cordless phone or a direct plug in? If it is the former then it could be radio interference. Have you tried turning of the wireless in the router to see if the noise is still present. If that does cure it then changing the channel either on the phone or router may cure it.

If you are using a plug in phone I think the only thing that can cause it is a faulty filter. This is one of the main reasons for using a filter.

One other thing to consider is the power circuit causing interference. A loose connection in the socket the router is plugged into may cause interference. Try plugging the router into another socket, with an extension if necessary, to rule this out.
      Last edited by Isitme; 03-09-08 at 02:17 PM. Reason: spleeling;)

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks

I try out all of these when I get home and report back

cmanutd99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi, sorry to jump in on this post but i am having the exact same problem! Well my parents are!

They have today gone live after switching from orange BB, The go live date was today and first thing this morning the phone line went dead, bt said it was a line fault and spent most of the day at my parents and the exchange. They fixed the fault and got a dial tone back. They spent a couple of hours messing in my parents house as they couldnt get a dial tone back to the 2nd extension in the house, they finally did this but now when i power on the router and it boots up we get like "machine Code" noise on the phone line?

They do use a DECT phone and i have tried changing the channel on the router and disabled the wireless option as suggested earlier in post but this made no difference.

The router stats last time i checked were:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 7616 kbps 256 kbps
      Line Attenuation 25 db 6.5 db
      Noise Margin 2147483646 db 1 db

this seems to happen when i activate the phone, if the phone isnt in use the noise margins seem to be 7-8 down and 1 upstream?

Needless to say this didnt happen when on orange and only seems to have happened since todays fault and swich over.

Can you offer any advice?

Ron60 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01908
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I have exactly the same problem but can show exactly what happens when which is more than SKY can do now or BT who before SKY spent two years saying nothing was wrong. To date I have received and tried and tested the following:

5 BT Wireless B/B routers with and without the BT Home Hub which NEVER worked

2 SKY Sagem routers

12 plus filters including a BT face plate which is pre-filtered and two sockets, phone & ADSL

I have SKY+ which cannot connect to SKY active unless the router is powered down, NB: not unplugged just power switch turned off.

SKY Broadband running at around 4.8 MB's download and 182 KB's upload speeds (think that is the correct way round

SKY talk using a BT Verve Wireless telephone which shows massive amounts of noise when the sagem is powered up and absolutely silent when the router is powered down

For two years BT sent engineers out approx every two months and NEVER found a fault on the line. The only reason we now know what is causing the noise was when a SKY engineer came avisiting to fix the SKY+ box which then showed all the problems to be based around the router.

SKY are now having to wait until next week to get a BT engineer to call to see if they can now resolve the problem. I have been informed that if this doesn't work I have to say goodbye to broadband all together.

Without having to use piles of web sites that do nothing more than tell you how fast your b/b speed is and software that never appears to ever find a problem and just takes up even more space on the hard drive, does anyone have any idea which direction this fed-up user needs now to go to keep b/b running 24/7 as it should and to also make telephone calls across the globe without so much noise as to make the calls a waste of space.

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Without much to go on, have you tried the following.

(1) Remove the faceplate from the master to expose the test socket. Check that you have no dial tone at any extension. With the test socket exposed, there should only be a dial tone at the test socket. With a wired telephone connected to the test socket dial a single digit ahd listern, you should only hear a low hiss.

(2) Ensure with your filter faceplate fitted, all voice extensions (inc the Sky box) are connected to the filtered output.

(3) place router as close as possible to the master socket and connect router to filter faceplate with as short a cable as possible. Connect router to pc with network cable or mains network addaptor. not wireless.

if you have tried all this, then I suspect a line fault, prob a duff joint somewhere
      Last edited by Brian69; 04-09-08 at 08:26 PM.

Thanks

@cmanutd99

It sounds like you are not using filters on your phones. Remember everything that is plugged into the phone line must pass through a filter.If you are using a filter try changing it.

TomD

Useful Utilites

cmanutd99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

@Isitme

That was my first thought, both sockets in the house have the new sky filters in them, i tried the 3rd they sent in both sockets to no avail. I still have the orange filters that i replaced with skys so icould retry them as this problem didnt occur with orange BB?

It still seems a little fishy to me that everything was fine until the BT engineer spent 2 hours at my parents house trying to get back teh dial tone on the 2nd extension that he lost trying to resolve the 1st fault? Can this sort of problem not be caused by an internal line problem?

Also i looked behing the face plate of the main socket and it isnt an NTE? there is no test socket like i have at home, it is very old so maybe thats why?

Thanks!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast