Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Noise on line only with modem plugged in

This is a discussion on Noise on line only with modem plugged in within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; My master socket is the original box with a DIRECT connection socket behind the face plate. First off it is ...

Ron60 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01908
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Noise on line only with modem plugged in

My master socket is the original box with a DIRECT connection socket behind the face plate. First off it is not a test socket because if you look carefully your faceplate plugs directly into that same socket which is in fact your main telephone line.
      I don't run ANY extensions other than a socket doubler to which myself AND the SKY engineer connected via a second external filter (one of a dozen to choose from) and into this filter/doubler combination is my telephone approx 3 feet from the socket and the SKY+ box via an extension.
      The b/b sagem router (black in colour but not matching any descriptions I have so far seen on this site) - (the front has SKY etched into the front plate and a large sticker on the back shows the SSID & NETWORK KEY plus a MAC key and a very long number/letter combination but NO NAME/TYPE for the router) is also only approx 3 feet from the master socket. Where I live we have had cable (all underground) for some 40 years and this will never change as BT estimated a cost in excess of 20M so rented it to NTL and latterly VIRGIN but both found they cannot remove or replace it they in fact only RENT it from BT who have ZERO intentions of updating it.
      As for the question regarding removing the socket faceplate then YES it was removed and just the phone connected and it worked perfectly. Then we added (Me & SKY engineer) via a filter and doubler the SKY+ box and telephone and both worked perfectly well and the SKY+ was able to access my account via the TV. We then replaced the faceplate leaving the doubler/filter connected to the front socket and still all worked perfectly and then we added the router both via the filter and also direct to my ADSL front plate and still all was well, THEN (AH! well all things do have to come to an end) we turned ON the router and "all hell let loose" and we could not get the SKY+ to connect and the phone was so noisy that even the engineer had to have the router turned off just to talk to his offices.
      (OH YEAH! I should add that SKY Broadband is actually run by a company known as EASYNET, I have yet to find out who runs SKY TALK but BT still runs the line even though my line-rental is being paid to SKY and BT has nothing to do with my setup.)

2. Advertisement
      Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

In that case you will need to contact Sky who, in turn need to get Openreach to fix your line.
      Somewhere there is a poor or corroded joint, you need a BB trained technician from openreach to trace and repair this, Only Sky can arrange this for you as you are their customer.
      Last edited by Brian69; 05-09-08 at 10:24 AM.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

It's well known Easynet provide the network to Sky, as Sky bought them out!!! READ HERE...

SkyTalk is run by Sky as it's Wholesale Line Rental from BT - BT still maintain the line but Sky are your point of contact should a fault arise...

these faults where you have noise on the line need Openreach out to usually perform a healthcheck...a complete check of the line as it's usually a dodgy line causing the fault...similar to when BB only works when on the phone...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

cmanutd99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi again,

Ive retied switching my parents router on this morning and the noise has dissapeared? they seem to be getting a speed of between 6-6.5 meg now and the connection has been stable for about 15 mins! The stats from the router today are below, can anyone tell me if the look ok? They are on BB mid?

System Up Time: 00:17:25

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 9170 12869 0 2317 23084 00:12:12
      LAN 100M/Full 14919 10899 0 17700 2120 00:17:21
      WLAN 11M/54M 143 0 0 223 0 00:06:49
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 7616 kbps 384 kbps
      Line Attenuation 25 db 6.5 db
      Noise Margin 8 db 14 db

I will monitor the connection for them and see if it satys stable and if the noise stays away!

Cheers!!

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Thanks

They look o.k. It could be that the noise problem is weather related, so keep a close eye on it!!

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

With your low attenuation you should by getting a slightly higher connection speed, but if it is stable you would be better to leave well alone. It is possible BT have made changes at the exchange to improve the line or as Brian says it could be the weather. I am sure the BT engineers are having a lovely time in some places pumping water out of manholes. Not the best conditions for broadband.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

cmanutd99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I will keep an eye on it but thanks for all your help!!

Satine is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

It is really great to find this forum as I am having this problem as well and trying to get through to Sky takes just as long as the till queues at the Next sale!!

I have just switched to Sky, and have the TV, Talk and Broadband (although the line rental is still with BT). Ever since I have set up broadband I get an interference on my phone line. I have 3 telephone lines, all of which have a microfilter. There is a microfilter in the back of my Sky+ box which the engineer fitted, I have one in the telephone line (in the same room), 1 in a bedroom which has a phone and the other one in the other bedroom which houses the broadband (only broadband is connected to this phoneline as there is no phone in the room).

I constantly get a faint crackling noise on my phone and I cant figure out what is wrong!

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

There is a microfilter in the back of my Sky+ box which the engineer fitted
      Sky fitters do not usually fit filters, although this may have changed. I would try feeding the Sky box through a filter, or disconnect it altogether and see if the noise is there. If it is still there unplug the router and see if it goes.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12