Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

New to Sky Max

This is a discussion on New to Sky Max within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello I have recently ordered Sky Max (got it activated finally after 9 days past the activation date) and I've ...

arczi19 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

New to Sky Max

Hello
      I have recently ordered Sky Max (got it activated finally after 9 days past the activation date) and I've got some questions that need answers.
      1. There are 4 different ethernet sockets on my black sky broadband box, 2 yellows, 1 green and 1 blue. What are the blue and green used for?
      2. Since my master socket is downstairs and my computer upstairs, I had to use extension telephone cable (rj11 I think). Its about 15m-20m long - does it makes any difference on how well broadband performs?

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: New to Sky Max

At the moment they are all the same, there may be plans for future use but nothing is really known.

An extension telephone cable will effect your connection, the longer it is the worse it will be. RJ11 is the cable used to connect the router to the filter, with small square plugs at both ends. Provided it is good quality, these can be used up to 10-15M with little loss.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks, that explained a lot.

I have also noticed that it discennects a lot, especially in peak hours (18-23). Is that normal? And what could cause it?

Btw, changed the RJ11 cable to the one that came originally with Sky Broadband - solved it by using longer ethernet cable.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

It should not disconnect no matter what time it is. Does the router disconnect from the exchange or is the router disconnecting to the PC (wireless)?

How is the router connected to the line? Have you tried swapping the filters?

Post your router stats here so we can see whats happening. Also a copy of the log may help.

Thanks

The only way to narrow down the cause is to take your stats from your normal position and from the Test socket and compare the two.

Telephone lines get noisier in the evening and if you have any weakness in your connection, this is the time that it will show. The noise margin will drop and in some cases fall below what he router can accept, when this happens the connection will drop. If it works the way it should, the router should immediately negotiate with the exchange and restore the connection with an acceptable noise margin and almost always with a lower speed. The line should then be able to hold the connection until the noise margin again drops below an acceptable level. Eventually the line will reach a level at which it remains stable, but booting the router at a quiet time during the day will knock it out again when the line gets noisier. If some of the noise is being generated within your internal wiring, plugging into the Test socket isolates this and gives you a true indication of the lines capabilities.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I have read a lot and I found out that the issue is the Noise Margin - in the evening, its usually at 2-5 (downstream only tho, upstream seems to be stable on 8-9db at any time)and then disconnects happen. I have tried everything: rebooting my router for over a hour to get stable 7db+ but it didnt work - couldnt get anything above 5. What else is there to do?

EDIT:

I have looked up this guide:
      http://www.readman.dsl.pipex.com/oth...ecatwiring.htm

It seems pretty obvious what do I need to do, but I have checked my socket and cables and I have found out that there is something else before the actual master socket:

What is it? And why theres only 2 wires going from that point to master socket? (blue and white)
      Last edited by arczi19; 01-09-08 at 12:26 AM.

Thanks

That is an old line jack junction box. You might take a look inside and make sure it is clean and that the joins are tight. There is normally only two wires used to connect to the main line and to the Master socket. There may be more wires on the cable going into the box, but several of these will be redundant.

Have you tried the Test socket?
      Last edited by Isitme; 01-09-08 at 01:24 PM.

TomD

Useful Utilites