Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

At my wits end!

This is a discussion on At my wits end! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello first of all! I am having a problem which I think is the router (I have the Netgear V2 ...

Pifko is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky anymore
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

At my wits end!

Hello first of all!
      I am having a problem which I think is the router (I have the Netgear V2 one).
      What happens is all the time if I'm connected through wireless or not (laptop turned off) the internet light on the router go's off or orange. It always disconnets me and the only way to get it on is to pull the filter out the line and plug it in again. As speaking I have been downstairs now about 5 times today to sort it out. I am not using long cables or is the line rubbish. When it is connected I get max speeds for my line and have tried the test socket and it still happens alot.

I am using a different filter and it seems to be faster and more steady that the sky one. Also I have found out that if the sky TV box is plugged in to the line it slows to a crawl so I unplugged it. I also keep getting disonnected from my Xbox which shows it's not my laptop going crazy.
      I had no problems before with BT broadband so I an only put it down to the router. I have read about the Upnp thing or whatever it's called and turned it off and it still happens. I have also change the channel of the wireless and have my own network and password name.
      Another note is when I'm using the BT microfilter it stays on longer like last night it was ok, then when I turned of my laptop got up in the morning the internet light was off again.
      Please I need some advice as it's driving me crazy and I feel stressed from it literally.

Thanks,
      Luke.

P.S I have e-mailed sky but I doubt that will solve anything...

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Re: At my wits end!

Ok first thing first where is the sky tv plugged into the tel line? Anything attached to the line must go through a filter or it will cause issues. Also are you using any extensions at all?

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi the engineers put some kind of crappy double adapter into the phone line for the TV. It go's slow when I connect through that (plugging filter into it).
      No long leads the box is next to the line.
      It's been connected fine all day now but I know tomorrow I am gonna' have to fix it again when I turn my pc off or you never know it will probably disconnect me later again... It is so random...
      Since removing the sky TV cable from the line it has been better but by no means good...
      The light never stays on at all on the router when I turn the things off connected to it. It's like it says no more connection for you because your not using it. When I reboot the connection by pulling the filter out and in again that is the only time it reconnects, not by rebooting properly or anything. When I get this it's always a local connection until I fix it on my laptop.
      Last edited by Pifko; 23-08-08 at 07:32 PM.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSky View Post
      Ok first thing first where is the sky tv plugged into the tel line? Anything attached to the line must go through a filter or it will cause issues. Also are you using any extensions at all?
      Hold on do you mean extensions as adapter plugs with like 4 plugs which connect to one socket. Or do you mean the adsl cable plugged in to another one ect to extend it?

I'm using the adapter plug things and it's always on it's just the internet light that go off.

malc-c is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

If I follow your post correctly the router is next to the master socket. If so remove the lower half of the faceplate (thus disconnecting any other wiring - assuming the line wasn't tee's anywhere) and plug the router (via a filter) into the test socket and see what happens. If the wan light remains green then the problem is with your internal wiring.
      Cheers

Malcolm
      www.micro-heli.co.uk

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks Malc but I have tried that already and it still happened.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Right it has just gone down again checked router stats...

Noise margin for downstream was 2147483647 db
      It's now come back on and it's 10db.
      What the hell is wrong there?

Someone please help me I have no idea how to sort this out?
      Should I reset my router now it's fine to make it stick?
      It took ages to come back on this time it went down. The light went orange and not off this time,
      it saves the no light for mornings *sigh*.
      Last edited by Pifko; 23-08-08 at 09:23 PM.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

The very large figure for noise margin indicates that it went to a negative value which the router cannot read. When you resync with the exchange it reconnects, very likely at a lower speed, with a higher noise margin.

Plug your router into its normal position and take the stats from the Statistics button. Now plug it into the test socket, not the master socket and take the stats again. Post both sets in this thread.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Normal Line:

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 20103 23266 0 880 1719 01:00:21
      LAN 100M/Full 639 0 0 36 0 01:07:26
      WLAN 11M/54M 26669 23428 0 1940 866 01:07:13
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 1344 kbps 384 kbps
      Line Attenuation 63 db 15.5 db
      Noise Margin 0 db 13 db

Test Line:

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 13 12 0 15 46 00:00:53
      LAN 100M/Full 699 0 0 37 0 01:12:16
      WLAN 11M/54M 27901 24488 0 1904 858 01:12:03
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 1280 kbps 384 kbps
      Line Attenuation 63 db 15.5 db
      Noise Margin 8 db 13 db

The normal line was defo 10 db earlier, no it is 0 wow...

Sorry for the jumble I just copied it.

Edit: Another point is I have just recently got a new line (not wireing) also.
      Last edited by Pifko; 23-08-08 at 10:30 PM.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Unfortunately it looks like you have a very long noisy line. Is your normal phone line OK? If you hear noises on it it may have a fault. You could try a quiet line test from your Test socket with a corded phone. Plug the phone direct into the Test socket, no filter, and dial 17070, option2. If you hear any crackles, pops, buzzes or any other bad noises, report it to your phone provider as a noisy line. If and when you report it do not mention broadband or they are likely to take no action.

If your line is quiet there is not much else you can do, except phone Sky and get them to trouble-shoot a dropping connection. They will probably not be able to do much about it except cap the speed of your connection down. Even then it may not help that much, sorry to be the bearer of bad news

I should mention it does look like your internal wiring is not 100%, but I don't think that is the only problem.
      Last edited by Isitme; 23-08-08 at 10:48 PM.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast