Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Strange connection issue

This is a discussion on Strange connection issue within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I've read through some FAQs and other sticky threads, but I can't find anything that describes the connection problem I'm ...

jduk79 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Strange connection issue

I've read through some FAQs and other sticky threads, but I can't find anything that describes the connection problem I'm having. I'll try and describe it in as much detail as possible.

The problem
      - Despite apparently being able to connect to the Internet, very few websites actually work: the vast majority don't load at all
      - Problem started on 9 August
      - In Firefox 3, website loading gets to 'Transferring data fromů' and gets stuck with the green bar half-filled. The title bar has usually loaded correctly
      - Examples: from ones I've tried, only Google and Cricinfo.com - The Home of Cricket reliably work (though do so far slower than usual); all others don't load at all. Never get timeout messages. Occasionally the background colour loads, but no content does
      - Downloads (e.g. through iTunes store) don't start at all, or proceed very slowly
      - Further description - when it connects to the network, the time taken from the icon on the taskbar to change from 2 screen (local connection only) to 2 screens with a globe (local and internet) is longer than usual

What I've tried
      - turning router on and off
      - resetting router
      - new router (Sky sent this, it was the only solution they could think of)
      - connecting PC to different network - worked fine
      - plugging modem into different phone socket in flat (problem persisted)
      - changing microfilters (problem persisted)
      - changing the grey lead from modem to phone socket (problem persisted)
      - connecting to my network with an ethernet cable (problem persisted)
      - connecting to my network with a different device (iPhone) (problem persisted)
      - pinging my router (while on phone to Sky) - speed was apparently fine

One curiosity - the problem briefly got better on 10 August (Sunday) and again this Monday - both times all websites worked, but far slower than usual. This happened without me changing anything, and the problem returned again the next day (presumably within hours) without me changing anything.

It looks like there's no fault with: my PC, my wireless connection, the router or the lead. Only two things I can think of are Sky's service (they said no outages had been reported) and the BT phone line (though phone calls haven't been affected).

I'm really stuck for what this could be - haven't seen anything like this before.

All help hugely appreciated - many thanks in advance.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Strange connection issue

Can you take your stats from your normal position and then from the Test socket, if you have one. It does not matter whether you use wireless or ethernet, these do not effect the speed at which the router is connecting.

If you do not have a Test socket, open the Master socket and remove the wire from terminal 3. This is the ring wire and is not required when using filters. Remove everything else you have connected to extensions and take the stats from the Master socket.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Tall Paul is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Great Wenham
      Broadband ISP: NewNet
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Hi. Long time lurker, first time poster. Oddly enough, i have exactly the same issue. My router kept on being unresponsive, no obvious issues, again, as you said, Monday seemed to improve, but websites are taking longer to load and in some cases not at all, then after timeout it may wake up again. Have tried many of the same changes as the op so could be a bit more to it?
      Last edited by Tall Paul; 21-08-08 at 08:45 PM.

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Sounds like a network routing problem, or possibly a DNS issue - a traceroute to a few sites may throw some light on what is happening. To rule out DNS, flush the DNS cache and maybe try an alternative such as openDNS.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Strange connection issue: connected to internet but only a few websites load

Thanks to those who replied to my message. Bringing this thread back to the top, though, as the problem has re-occurred...

The problem solved itself (i.e. the internet worked as normal) just before Sky had sent a BT engineer out to look at the problem. The engineer said something about BT changing 'cards' (?) in our area, which may have caused the issue. Either way, after about 2/3 weeks, it restarted. As before: connection showing as working fine; router stat speeds of > 4mpbs; sky say things should be working perfectly, but only a few websites actually work (google, cricinfo.com), and when they do, they work very slowly. No time-out messages when trying to browse other websites, despite the fact that it can spend over 30 minutes trying (but failing) to load, for example, BBC News.

Responding to the previous messages: it doesn't seem to be a socket issue (I get the same problem when the router is plugged into any of the 3 sockets in our flat), or a software/PC issue (the PC works fine on other networks; and other computers don't work when connected to ours).

If anyone has any idea what could be wrong, please let me know, and tell me if I need to provide further details.

Sky are currently handling the issue too, though I've had to go right back to the start, despite this being exactly the same problem as before. Very frustrating.

Thanks for any help.

Ned Ludd is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Haxby
      Broadband ISP: PlusNet
      Router: TP-Link WR2543ND
      Sky TV: FreeSat
      Thanks

(I get the same problem when the router is plugged into any of the 3 sockets in our flat), or a software/PC issue (the PC works fine on other networks; and other computers don't work when connected to ours).
      Looks like it may be an issue with the internal wiring.
      Can you try from the master socket?
      Geoff, York.
      Can't call me a Luddite now!

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Ned Ludd - thanks for your reply. I may have misunderstood you, but the problem exists from all three sockets - including the master one (I've checked in the documentation that came with the flat that the one in question is definitely the master socket). I've also changed microfilters, and the grey cable leading from the model to the socket.

Additionally, the problem started, stopped and started again without me changing anything. I should add the during the first time we had this issue, the problem semi-resolved itself - the whole internet worked, but very slowly - for a few hours on two occasions, which makes me suspect it's something to do with the service we're receiving. Why that should make some websites work and others not at all is a mystery!

Thanks again.

Thanks

The 'master socket' is not the one you see from the faceplate. It is behind that.
      The faceplate is in two parts. You remove the two screws from the lower part to gain access to the master socket.

When you have removed the bottom part from the face plate it will come away with some wiring attached. That's OK and normal. That disconnects the internal wiring.
      Behind the faceplate is another socket. That IS the master socket!

This article shows pictures of the Bellwire fix but also shows how to access the master socket
      Geoff, York.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Ludd View Post
      The 'master socket' is not the one you see from the faceplate. It is behind that.
      The faceplate is in two parts. You remove the two screws from the lower part to gain access to the master socket.

When you have removed the bottom part from the face plate it will come away with some wiring attached. That's OK and normal. That disconnects the internal wiring.
      Behind the faceplate is another socket. That IS the master socket!

This article shows pictures of the Bellwire fix but also shows how to access the master socket
      Ned, that's incorrect, the mastersocket is the one described, the socket behind is the test socket.

You are correct that he should do the stats from the test socket though.

Thanks

Yes I know that Smithy. Just trying to make it easy for the OP to understand!
      Geoff, York.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast