Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Strange connection issue

This is a discussion on Strange connection issue within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Thanks both - so, should I post router stats I get from plugging the modem into each of the three ...

jduk79 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Strange connection issue

Thanks both - so, should I post router stats I get from plugging the modem into each of the three sockets? I'll try and find how to do router stats - presume it's in a sticky thread somewhere. Will try and post shortly.

2. Advertisement
      Ned Ludd is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Haxby
      Broadband ISP: PlusNet
      Router: TP-Link WR2543ND
      Sky TV: FreeSat
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jduk79 View Post
      Thanks both - so, should I post router stats I get from plugging the modem into each of the three sockets? I'll try and find how to do router stats - presume it's in a sticky thread somewhere. Will try and post shortly.
      No No No!

Just from the socket from behind the faceplate on the one that connects your phone to the BT supply!

Gawd, give me strength!
      Geoff, York.
      Can't call me a Luddite now!

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

The only one you need to get the stats from for now at least is the TEST socket, this can be found behind the faceplate of the master socket which will be the first socket to connect to the BT cable in the house.

You will see it has a split about a third of the way down, undo the two srews that hold the face on and remove it, take care not to pull out any of the extension wires that may be attached to it. Once removed you will see another socket, this is the TEST socket and will give the best possible results you can get with your line.

With the front of the master removed, your extensions throughout the house will be dead, they will come back on when you put the front back in position. Just try one with the front removed to ensure it is dead and that they are wired correctly.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sorry Ned! I'll make no secret of my complete ignorance when it comes to wiring. I'll give that a go shortly - assume there's no danger of electrocution (not least cos I presume there's no current that goes to a phone socket...).

My 'master socket' doesn't have that split (Sky call it a horizontal line - presume it's the same thing), just an ornamental front cover - presume everything i'm looking for will be going on behind it.

Thanks

If you don't have one of the "split" master sockets then you will not have a test socket which makes things a bit more complicated.

Can you unplug everything from all extensions and just do the stats from the master socket with only the router plugged in.

Don't worry, you will not get a shock doing any of this, the BT line does not carry any dangerous charge.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Deleted stats - will re-post shortly (will go through the sticky in the router stats forum and try to work them out myself first)
      Last edited by jduk79; 22-09-08 at 05:21 PM. Reason: will try and interpret them myself first

Thanks

Looking at those stats you have internal wiring issues.

The first thing to do is to take off the faceplate again and remove the wire at the back from number three (if there is one in there). This is the ring wire and is not needed for nearly all new phones. Do this and then post stats again, this may make a marked improvement.

The next one is a little bit more complicated and will require a little bit of re-wiring, order a new NTE5 master socket and a filtered faceplate (look at runitdirects website for these (he posts on this forum). you then need to remove the existing master socket and fit this new one, it's very simple, just remember which wire goes where and then reinstate them.

A - A
      B - B

2 - 2
      4 - 4

You can now leave the router plugged directly into the ADSL side of the filtered faceplate and this will remove any problems with the rest of the house and extensions.

Remember you are doing this at your own risk, BT do not like you messing with the main BT cable connections and may charge you to put it right if you mess it up

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Smithy - looks like you caught sight of the stats before I removed them in the interest of trying to solve things myself!

Here they are:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 3968 kbps 448 kbps
      Line Attenuation 33 db 9 db
      Noise Margin 5 db 21 db

Looks like (from what I've read) that the noise margin is the issue. I rebooted the router (via 192.168.0.1) and got the same (though the upstream noise margin changed to 22db). Is that was led you suspect wiring issues?

The flat is rented, so I'm doubly unsure about messing around with the wiring. Sky are phoning back this evening - I'll mention this to them. Given that last time around, a BT engineer was a day from turning up, I've got my fingers crossed another one can come and fix things himself.

Two things I'm surprised at though:
      - why didn't Sky spot the noise margin, if this is indeed the issue? They've said on many occasions that the line is working fine. Or would the noise margin not appear to them?
      - I still struggle to see how the wiring, which hasn't been touched, could be fine for months, then faulty for a few weeks, then fine again, and now a problem once more. Not that I don't believe your inference - I do - just seems odd to me.

Thanks for your help!

Thanks

I cannot be sure that the internal line is your main problem, just that it is a problem.

There is a chance that your external line also has a fault, without first ensuring that one is right it's a guess? As you cannot do anything to sort out the external line yourself we have to focus on what you can do.

My guess it this:-

You have an intermittant fault externally, this coupled with the internal wiring is dropping the SNR below an acceptable level for the router. When the external line is not playing up then the internal problem just slows your speed down but is not bad enough to drop the connection.

Plug a phone directly into the master socket and listen, can you hear any noise or crackles? This could be an indication of a line fault outside the property.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

What makes your case more difficult is the fact that you are on Connect. Sky can do nothing, other than ask BT to look into it. Sky only buy the supply from BT and sell it on to you. Any poor service is really down to BT. Unlike their LLU packages where they have their own equipment in the exchange and have full control, they have no direct control of Connect. Unfortunately BT and Sky do not appear to have a very good working relationship.

I am inclined to agree with Smithy that your internal wiring is contributing a lot to the problem. Unfortunately, if you are not too confident about messing around with wiring, this cannot be proved. I will say, removing the wire from terminal 3 can sometimes work wonders. This need only be removed in the Master socket. What you must remember too, is that being on Connect, any improvement will not be immediate, it can take 3 days for anything other than a rise in connection speed and noise margin to show.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast