Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Downstream Noise Margin

This is a discussion on Downstream Noise Margin within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; 1. How do I find out if I am on Connect? If the Test fails it usually means you are ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Downstream Noise Margin

1. How do I find out if I am on Connect?
      If the Test fails it usually means you are on LLU. You should be able to find out for sure by going to your MySky account and checking your details. I am a bit confused as to why you have Connect shown in your Profile if you have not been told you are on it.

It looks like the last para in my previous post applies.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      xyz
      xyz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01733
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

LLU? Yes, they unbundled my local loop last summer and I had great speeds after that; 4K+ KBs. It was wonderful. I kept using that donuts utility to reset my noise margin to 10 and everything was tickety boo. But when they zapped my router with their new software, I ceased being able to reset the noise margin.

I've gone into my SKY a/c now and my details show I'm on Broadband Connect. So does this mean that they should not be applying a cap on my a/c? I just call them on 08442 410515 and tell them to cease and desist?

Iamnottheenemy warned of the danger of "auto regrade" - how can I ensure I am not going to be worse off by complaining?

Perhaps I should have been classified as "Mid" rather than "Connect" as I only pay 5 per month. If I call them, they may reclassify me and cap me further. How much do "Connect" customers pay anyway?
      Last edited by xyz; 04-09-08 at 05:00 PM.

Thanks

I've gone into my SKY a/c now and my details show I'm on Broadband Connect.
      First you should sort this out. When you started you may have been on Connect at the discounted rate of 5 as your exchange was due to upgrade. It could be that you have been upgraded but your account has not been brought up to date, then again you may have been missed. Sky should be able to advise you what is what.

It is possible your line has been DLM trained and it has left it in a worse condition than it found it. Phone Sky anyway, sort out what you are actually on and get them to fix it. All things being equal you should get 6-7Mbs.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

xyz
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thank you Isitme.

I've called Sky. Right, I now know what Sky Connect is - it's the package you get for 17pm where your exchange has not been unbundled - except that most people get a 12 credit to bring the cost down to 5pm. I started off on Connect and although SKY has now got their own equipment in my local exchange, no-one has regularised my account.

I need to be moved out of "Connect" to one of the 3 choices. They are looking into my account and they'll call me back. I guess I'll opt for the "Mid". The lady said I should get a better speed. I do hope so as 1422Kb is rather poor.

Thank you everyone for your help. You've been great.

Thanks

It's good to know things are moving for you. It can be very frustrating when you have a problem like this. You should get about 6-8 Mb which will seem very fast compared to what you are used to.

TomD

Useful Utilites

xyz
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi! I thought I should post another episode in the story of my life for anyone who might be vaguely interested.

Nothing happened up till now so I rang up SKY for a progress report. I said I have seen no improvement in my broadband speed.

The guy asked another department and came back to tell me that I have been transferred to "Mid" and was surprised that I had seen no improvement to my speed (1400kbps).

He gave me a long spiel about checking by using the master socket, told me not to go through the surge protector etc.

I went away to check on the master socket which yielded 4091 Kbps. I was delighted with the speed but not with having to use the master socket. So I tried the usual connection (via the extension socket with and without going through the surge protector). The speed had not dropped, that is to say I still managed to get 4091 Kbps.

I think what happened was that when I called up SKY today to check on my account, that very action resulted in someone pulling his finger out and lifting the cap on my speed. The increase in my speed had nothing to do with changing from the extension to the master socket. Going through the surge protector had no effect either.

Anyway, I got it now. The SKY guy said my limit should be 8Mb but it looks like 4+Mb is the best I can get and that's perfectly acceptable. The noise margin is 9.6 downstream which is roughly what I used to get when I was able to use the donuts facility. It looks like sometimes, one need to contact SKY to get the speed one is entitled to; it doesn't happen automatically.

Many thanks to everyone for their help. I really appreciate the advice.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12