Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bad speeds - connected before activation date?

This is a discussion on Bad speeds - connected before activation date? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all, I've got my activation date - at least I think it's that - and it's today. However, I ...

OutLore is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01279
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Bad speeds - connected before activation date?

Hi all,

I've got my activation date - at least I think it's that - and it's today.

However, I have already plugged my router in, and got the following stats:

Connection Speed 288 kbps 288 kbps
      Line Attenuation 25 db 8 db
      Noise Margin 31 db 29 db

Now, from what I can tell, these are pretty good right? I did some checks on the exchange I am connected to and it's 430m in a straight line from me...

So, my questions are: Why are Sky telling me that the maximum speed I can get is 512k, why is my router connecting at 288k - and yet when downloading anything I'm getting no more than 400bytes/min...

Is this because I am connected before my activation date? IE do I have to wait for them to confirm that everything is active?

If this is the kind of speed I can expect (IE not being able to do anything at all - even this page takes 2/3 mins to load) can I cancel after my activation date?

Sorry for so many questions, but I would like to know what my options are... I knew I should have checked my new house for cable connectivity!! I've gone from 20mb to what is less than the 1st 28k modem I had!!!!

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Bad speeds - connected before activation date?

You plugged in your router early and it's picked up the test config that gets sent down the line while it's being set up by BT. Wait till tomorrow AM if you activation date is today (Tuesday), reboot your router a couple of times today to see if you can force it onto its new config and check if it's dropped the 288/288 setup up. If not then you need to call Sky tech tier 1 to go through slow speed troubleshooting and point out to them that you are on the wrong config. With luck you will go to CST, without luck you will get told 3/ 10 days grace and to call back.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

call Sky now, you're on the wrong product...you'r on Home/Office 250 as opposed to ADSL Max...

you'll need Sky to put a regrade request to BT asap...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Sky TV:
      Thanks

I called Sky - who told me I had to wait 10 days before I can raise this as an issue!! I've read about this 10 day settle period online, but it only seems to be Sky who are stating this to their customers....

My issue is this: If I wait the 10 days, and they tell me "that's as good as it gets" - I am past the 8 day cancellation period and then stuck with it for a year... Similarly, I am not prepared to pay for a service which I am not getting.

I've had ADSL before at previous houses, and the service was much better, and quicker than this. Of course, none of the ADSL services I have ever used have compared to Cable - 24 months, with a total of 2 hours down time, and speeds approaching what they advertise...

So, do I need to call them again and ask them to check what package I am on? I am supposedly paying 17/month....

Exchange:
      Thanks

Nope you need to actually get to an agent willing to risk being discliplined for not following procedure and get them to raise it to CST as a config issue. Or you could try the Kana form to bypass them.
      As I said if you aren't lucky you will get told 10 days grace as that is the period that we are told to enforce on T1. You need to get to the agent and physically point out to them that the config is wrong, an experienced agent will realise that the Down and up stream speeds are pointing to a problem. Unfortunately if you hit someone that won't cross the line you will just be told 10 days, you can at this point ask for cancellations, they may be able to hurry it through to CST for you.
      If it had been me on the call I would have raised it, done it before and risked the wrath of Sky but luckily the CST guy I passed the call to saw the issue too and took it on.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Called them again... no joy, so asked for a MAC code to allow me to move to BT, who have confirmed that a) they can offer a faster possible speed and b) will have me connected in 5 days.

At that point, it suddenly gets escalated to Tier2/3. Now I have to wait 72hrs for them to call me back!!

Sky's customer service is appalling. Sure, the people are nice enough, but they clearly don't have enough engineers, and the level 1 people seem unknowledgable (no offence PaulSky - obviously you are an exception) and unwilling to do anything.

The cancellation guy did more checks on the phone than the support people did!!!

Here's a slightly different question:
      On Kitz's exchange checker, it lists me as 431m in a direct line from the exchange I am connected to ( I can see it from my house ). Using their distance estimator, (I get a line attenuation of 24Db) it's 1.8km to the exchange - so why is the max speed I can get 1mb? Surely being this close it should be a lot higher than that? BT are telling me that it's due to the length of the cabling, but how close do you have to be??!!??

It should not be this difficult. I can't wait to move back to a cabled area!!!

Exchange:
      Thanks

It's not down to knowledge, Tier 1 is bound by processes set out by Sky and are not allowed to step outside those guidelines. Unfortunately if BT stuff up like this it can be a pain in the **** to put right as there is a stated 10 day grace period that tier 1 is not allowed to raise issues to CST within.
      Get it to CST and it will go to BT, get it to BT and it will be sorted as it was their mistake in the first place Oh and the Speed BT tell you is often significantly lower than the speed you will get on ADSL+2

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

As you are on Connect, which is a rebadged BT package, this is actually BT's fault not Skys. Other than ordering it, they have nothing to do with setting it up. BT have put you on the wrong package and you are far from being the first this has happened to. I am convinced that BT are being underhand and intentionally setting Sky customers up wrongly, in the hope they will catch you on the rebound.

Your attenuation indicates that you should quite easily get the maximum of 8 Mbs available on your package. Bt could not give you any more than this unless you are on one of the very few exchanges that have been 21cn'd. I would ignore any advice you have received from BT or Sky concerning the speed you should get.

You must keep at Sky to get your package corrected, with a bit of luck you may get Paul who understands what is going on. The trouble is that if you are forced to wait the 10 days before it is corrected, you will have another 10 days line training on the proper package before your line stabilises. This is the reason you are being told you have to wait 10 days at the moment as, on Connect, nothing can be done until the line has 'trained'.

In the meantime, have a look at this article from Plusnet, which is exactly the same package you are on. When you are set up properly, follow the advice given there and you will have few problems with your connection.
      Plusnet Help - Broadband - Help & Support

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Aye there are nights we hate Connect as it ties our hands so badly.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks guys... it may not be down to individual knowledge, but according to the cancellation team, the level 1 guys have no sight of the average response time of the following levels of support, meaning that they are purely guessing when they tell you that they should call you within 72 hours. They also have no sight of the resolution to issues, and therefore cannot make a decision for themselves as to what the best course of action is.

There is clearly an issue with BT/Sky providing a bad service - personally, I don't care if it's BT's fault, my contract is with Sky and no one else. If there is an issue with the way BT are provisioning the lines, then Sky need to deal with this at source. The fact that it has been brought up on here and numerous other sites should indicate to Sky that when this kind of issue is raised, it's a possibility that the underlying reason is bad provisioning on BT's part, and train the level 1 people to recognise the signs and deal with it accordingly.

If my support manager/controller acted this way and would not allow the 1st line helpdesk staff to deal with any issue which is a common reoccurrance, they would not last 5 minutes. Just being courteous is not enough in this day and age - people are starting to expect a good service, not just a smile.

But, it's with the CST now so I'm hoping (but not holding my breath) that I will get a relatively quick call back...

Thanks for all your help guys

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast