Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Can download/MSN but can't browse??

This is a discussion on Can download/MSN but can't browse?? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I'm having a problem with my internet at my new address, I had the whole package thing swapped over to ...

Impulsed is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Can download/MSN but can't browse??

I'm having a problem with my internet at my new address, I had the whole package thing swapped over to a new address and since moving in i've had a problem

The internet when you first start it will work fine, for literally a few minutes at a time and you will no longer be able to browse the web, however if you access the router admin (192.xxx something or other) and click "disconnect" then "connect" one after the other it works again, but its a huge, HUGE inconvenience..

The funny thing is, if i am downloading something, the download will keep going all the way through (unless i hit disconnect) so there is obviously SOME connection going on there.

Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks.

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: Can download/MSN but can't browse??

it's PC related seeing as downloads work, so other than setting an IP/DNS manually to the PC in question I can't think of anything else bar trying in 'Safe Mode with Networking'...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the reply.

I can't see it being PC related as I'm using the same PC i was in the old home, and my flatmates laptop has the same problem when trying to connect via wireless or ethernet cable.

Just to clarify, we do get to browse for a totally random amount of time, before pages just won't load anymore as if there was no connection, however downloads will keep going and MSN will stay logged in too.

Thanks.

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Impulsed View Post
      my flatmates laptop has the same problem when trying to connect via wireless or ethernet cable.
      I suspect there's a clue there. Make sure your flatmate either has his IP set to "obtain automatically" or if fixed, something higher than 192.168.0.2. It sounds to me like you have an IP conflict i.e. you're both trying to use the same IP. This will happen if the two devices either have the same IP set or one is set to for example .02 and the other is auto.

If it's not an IP conflict problem then have you set any firewall/portforwarding rules in the router which may be conflicting?

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the reply.

We did have the occasional IP conflict message in the previous flat when she worked on her laptop, however she would just click the X on her laptop and be able to browse anyway.

Also, i should mention that when something is downloading, i never seem to reach more than 80kb/s, is that normal?

As for the firewall/portforwarding rules, I've no idea what those would be :P, so that would be a no to that.

Hope you guys can continue to help with ideas,

Thanks.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Have you checked that both machines are set to 'Obtain an IP address automatically'? If you have and they are, you could try giving them fixed addresses. If you don't know how to do this post back mentioning your OSs.

Are you using torrents or P2P to download? If you are you may have to restrict the download/upload speeds as these are likely to suck up all the bandwidth available and leave none for browsing.

It would do no harm to post your router stats, using the Statistics button. If you have a DG834gt it may also help if you posted the full router stas from HERE

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I'm on windows vista, so not sure how to do the "set IP address automatically" thing.

Here are the router stats:

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 3 3 0 20 6 00:00:09
      LAN 10M/100M 726 763 0 689 349 00:06:03
      WLAN 11M/54M/108M 310 0 0 217 0 00:05:55

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 7555 kbps 764 kbps
      Line Attenuation 47.0 db 30.0 db
      Noise Margin 6.8 db 12.5 db

Thanks

To set a fixed or manual address in Vista, do the following -
      1. Right click on ‘Network’ and select Properties, this will open the Network and Sharing Centre.
      2. Click ‘Manage Network Connections’ in the left pane, right click the Local Area Connection and select Properties.
      Highlight ‘Internet Protocol Version 4(TCP/IP)’ and click Properties button.
      3. Select the ‘Use this IP Address’ button and enter the following.
      IP Address 192.168.0.2
      Subnet 255.255.255.0
      Default Gateway 192.168.0.1
      4. You can leave the DNS server area blank or enter the following to use the OpenDNS servers.
      Preferred DNS Server 208.67.220.220
      Alternate DNS 208.67.220.222

5. Before you leave the LAN properties, untick the entry for’ Internet Protocol Version 6’ this is not yet in use here and can cause problems.
      6. Click OK all the way out.

To set this up on another machine, do exactly the same except the last number of the IP address is increased by one. ie. .2 becomes .3.

You appear to be on ADSL2+, which may not be the best for your high attenuation. But I would not do anything about it at the moment, as Sky have a habit of making a mess of changes from ADSL2+ to G.DMT.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi,

Thanks very much for your help so far. I followed your instructions and so far have been able to browse for the past 24 hours with no disconnections, which is amazing!!

My next question,

Now that I'm connecting, do you have any ideas why my connection is so slow?

Currently downloading a 10MB file and the speed is varying from 30-50kb/s

Thanks for your help so far.

Thanks

Are you the only one using the connection at the moment?
      Are you using wireless? If so, try connecting with a cable to establish whether the fault is with wireless in particular or your PC.
      Open a Command Prompt and type netstat >enter. How many connections are shown? To get the command prompt in Vista press the Windows key, type cmd then hit enter.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast