Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Speed test vs actual download speeds.

This is a discussion on Speed test vs actual download speeds. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Connection Speed 16347 kbps 732 kbps Line Attenuation 12.5 db 7.5 db Noise Margin 10.3 db 18.0 db Hi, when ...

gawdblesshim is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Speed test vs actual download speeds.

Connection Speed 16347 kbps 732 kbps
      Line Attenuation 12.5 db 7.5 db
      Noise Margin 10.3 db 18.0 db

Hi, when i do a speed test i get very good results, but my actual download speeds are much slower. The skyuser speed test shows download speeds of 11432Kbps and upload as 578Kbps. I download using a download manager and the most i can get is 1.7meg a second.

This seems like quite a big difference to me, is this normal?

I live across the road from the telephone exchange by the way, hence the very high connection speed!!

Cheers in advance.

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Speed test vs actual download speeds.

Throughput (download/upload speeds) depends on a number of factors - server load and method of connection (wired/wireless) being the two main ones.

First off, "1.7meg a second"? You are synced at 16.347 megabits a second. Converting that to bytes, 16347kbps = 2043.4kBps which is a little over 2 megabytes a second. Download managers tend to report in bytes. Internet connection speeds are always quoted in megabits.

Second, your speedtest result is a little low for your sync. If you're wireless then that's possibly the reason. If not then assuming the server wasn't overloaded when you ran the test, then you may need to tweak your TCP/IP settings - see the second sticky in my signature.
      Last edited by Saturday; 15-08-08 at 11:37 AM.

gawdblesshim is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi thanks for the reply. I've tried connecting wired and wirelessly, with and without extensions, and on 2 pcs.

Im a little thrown by what youve told me about my sync! Sky advertise a connection speed of up to 16 megabytes. If my downstream syncs at just over 2 megabytes then is that not abnormal? Im confused because other folk on here post their stats in measurements of kbps, and mine is higher than most at 16347 kbps.

Im sure im just not understanding this!

Using a download manager and downloading from a reliable server, how many megabytes per second should i be able to expect? I use download accelerator plus which measures downloads in KB/S (I top out at 1700KB/s)

Thanks again.

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gawdblesshim View Post
      Sky advertise a connection speed of up to 16 megabytes.
      No they don't. As I said before, in common with all other ISPs around the world the speed advertised is in bits not bytes. If you want a 16 megabyte internet connection you're going to have to move to somewhere like Japan.

Your stats currently show that you have an exceptionally fast connection which probably puts you in the top 1% of the population - and that includes cable customers.