Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Speed problems

This is a discussion on Speed problems within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I used to be with Freedom2Surf on their 8meg package. Around 6 weeks ago I got the full sky package ...

unabatedshagie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kilwinning
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Speed problems

I used to be with Freedom2Surf on their 8meg package.

Around 6 weeks ago I got the full sky package installed (tv, phone and broadband), I'm on the max broadband package (up to 16meg) but my speeds are appalling.

I'm currently trying to download a torrent just now (it's 700mb and there are 400+ people seeding it with around 200 leeching) and I'm only getting around 24KB/s down.

Also if I'm downloading anything (be it from a website, torrent etc) I am unable to use the internet for anything else. i.e. I can't download a torrent and surf at the same time.

Nothing on my machine has changed since I changed to sky, all the software's settings are still the same the only thing that has changed is the ISP and the router.

This is the details from the router status page
      Code:
      Firmware Version  	1.5Sky
      ADSL Port
      MAC Address 	00:1e:74:93:5a:a5
      IP Address 	90.213.241.105
      Network Type 	PPPoA
      IP Subnet Mask 	255.255.255.255
      Gateway IP Address 	xx.xx.xxx.xx
      Domain Name Server 	90.207.238.97    90.207.238.99
      LAN Port
      MAC Address 	00:1e:74:93:5a:a3
      IP Address 	192.168.0.1
      DHCP 	enable
      IP Subnet Mask 	255.255.255.0
      Modem
      ADSL Firmware Version 	A2pB023c.d20e
      Modem Status 	Up
      DownStream Connection Speed 	14822
      UpStream Connection Speed 	764
      VPI 	0
      VCI 	38
      Wireless Port
      Name (SSID) 	SKY23203
      Region 	Europe
      Current Channel 	11
      Wireless AP 	enable
      Broadcast Name 	SKY23203
      This is happening in both linux (my main os) and windows (only used to update my iphone via itunes)

Anyone have any ideas on what the problem could be or how I can solve it?

2. Advertisement
      Postman Pat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Leytonstone
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Speed problems

Hi can you post your detailed stats. On the subject of downloading, who is your base client? You will appreciate that despite the amount os seedings it does depends on the strenght of your connection. Have you encryption turned on? And are you limiting your upload speed , If you are using Utorrent click on the preferences menu and limit your upload to something like 25. Remember downloading and uploading at the same ratio will ineviatbly give you problems

Sky TV:
      Thanks

I'm not limiting my speed, I have tried it both with encription on and off doesn't make a difference. By base client I assume you mean what software am I using?

I'm currently using a client called transmission but have tried it with deluge and azureus.

I hope this is what you want when you asked for detailed stats.
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Speed problems-screenshot2.jpg  

Postman Pat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Leytonstone
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Thanks

You should limit your upload speed to something like 25 of which you are downloading and not exactly the same The consequence of not doing this will as you say, severly limit yor abilty to surf. Encryption is an entirely different matter.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Your connection speed indicates that you should achieve a download speed of about 12Mb or more. Try a speedtest at Sky User - Unofficial Help and Support for Sky Broadband and everything Sky! - Broadband Packages, report what you get there. That will confirm if the torrent is the block or not.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

The sky test doesn't work properly for me, the download worked but the upload didn't.

I used the one at speedtest.net and here's the results.

It's not just torrents that I'm having problems with, it's when I download anything. For instance I was trying to watch this video on youtube YouTube - Bernie Mac - My sisters Kids, the video took over 5 minutes to fully load and while it was loading I was unable to load any other pages in the background.

The same problem happens in windows, I can't surf the net while I download a podcast in itunes.

IMO it can't be a problem with the operating system because it happens both in linux and windows. It's got to be something with the service or the router setup.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

You definitely have something wrong (unless you are using wireless) I have just watched part of the Video, it plays immediately with no pause and at the same time a speedtest on Sky user gives me 5990 down, my normal is 6850.

You could try optimising your connection with TCPOptimiser, link below. I know this will not help with Linux but it will narrow the field. The only other thing I can think of is that your Network card is not performing as it should. Drivers maybe?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Not using wireless, like I mentioned before everything has been the same on my system for around a year now.

It's only since I moved to sky about 6 weeks ago (and had to use their router which I'm not overly happy about because I have basically wasted 100 on a router that I bought 3 months ago that I can't use now) that the problems have started.

I know I don't have the latest drivers installed for my onboard nic in windows (since I only use windows to update my iphone I just installed the ones that came on the disk with the mobo) so I could try that but linux doesn't have drivers for most things (the drivers are pre-compiled into the linux kernel) so I can't really update them.

Would the port I have the network cable plugged into on the back of the router make any difference?

I'm going to try resetting the router later on and see if that works and if not I guess I'll be phoning sky to see what they can suggest.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by unabatedshagie View Post
      Would the port I have the network cable plugged into on the back of the router make any difference?
      No, they all work the same, I only use them in numbered order as it keeps things simple.

If you get your password from the Sky router, you could use your old router, for a test at least (does break T&C's but at the moment nobody seems too bothered to do anything). At least that way if everything is ok with your old router you know where the fault lies.

Search the forum for details to get the password if you are unsure.
      Last edited by Smithy99; 11-08-08 at 07:29 PM.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

I got the password and am now using my old router.

Everything is back the way it was, I can download and surf at the same time.